The LUCKIER post-Wimbledon claycourt season thread - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #46
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The LUCKY Eastbourne and Wimbledon Grass Season comeback thread

I've been hyper since I checked the scoreboard at lunchtime! Allez Gilles!!!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #47
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

great comeback in the third
go-go!!

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Berankis-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Kike Lopez-Perez
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #48
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

looked thru the tournament website and can't find no pic of Gilles to see his hair . This tournament is all about the women, and James Blake . Love that they are so smitten by Blake, a caption of his pic said: Is last year's AEGON Championships finalist James Blake, top to toe in white, and looking rather angelic... . The Brits are still hoping that Blake will take on the British citizenship so they can claim him a Brit. With Blake's current ranking of 110, he'll be the Brits #2 .

Sorry, this is so
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #49
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

blake is such a tool i dont know why or how anyone could like him so much

there is a picture of gilles up on the atp site, is that not current?
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #50
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, I didn't think of checking the ATP website.

Looks like it's current since no bandage on the knee.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #51
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like Blake at all, although he's remarkable from coming back from such a horrific injury. I would rather have DC ignominy thanks

The pic of him on the ATP site is from the start of the year. Gilles' hair grows so quick that he would need to be getting it cut every fortnight to keep Nat happy Maybe Tutu or Jase were there today and we'll get a pic

edit I found the pic you meant oops

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy

Last edited by MsTree : 06-14-2010 at 06:44 PM.
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #52
country flag lalaland

Grass not very green in England (I'm too used to the beautiful lawn in S.A. ), but Gilles in white looks great .

Thanks Les.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #53
country flag lalaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I don't have time for a proper translation, sorry, and it's not easy to summarize because there aren't many facts, it's all about Gilles describing his current state of mind, which is pretty confused.
They interviewed him yesterday after a 2 hours practice session, the journalist doesn't really comment on his game, just says he was talking a lot!
Gilles says he can't assess at all his current level. But he should stop thinking so much about it too, he's always wondering on the court: "how did I use to play my FH/BH in this situation? Did I use to attack on this kind of ball?" etc.
He says it's too hard to admit that his game won't be back over night. Going into a match thinking "I'm going to lose today" is not the right approach anyway, he needs to be able to play for the win - but without judging on himself as much as he's doing atm.
He says that he might have a 3-0 record against Korolev, but it hasn't always been easy, he had to run so much in their match in Bangkok last year.
The journalist noticed that he was not chasing down all the balls yesterday in training, as if he was afraid to hurt himself. Gilles: "No, that's not the point. I've just gotten out of the habit. It's subconscious. 'Knots in my mind' I need to untie. There's anxiety, too. I have the impression that if the guy is dictating the rallye, I won't be able to run and it's going to end up badly for me. I do everything I can to prevent him from being in control of the game, while it used to be a tactic in the past, I was doing it deliberately... I'm not completely confident/serene yet."
BTW, thanks Fran.
He needs to stop over-thinking, not that it's an easy thing to do when he doesn't know how things gonna turn up this time. Good that he got a win under his belt now. Maybe he can relax a little bit.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #54
country flag Tutu

Tutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond reputeTutu has a reputation beyond repute

I saw him after the match having an interview. They didn't let me anywhere near him.

WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #55
country flag lalaland

Did you get to see his match though?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #56
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
I saw him after the match having an interview. They didn't let me anywhere near him.
probably for his own safety

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #57
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond reputeSombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
didn´t get a pic with him?T_T

Jerzy Janowicz/Bernard the aTomic /Thanasi Kokkinakis/Kei Nishikori

John Millman / Javier Martí/Taro Daniel-Jules Marie-Josh Milton

Henkka Kontinen
-Nick Kyrgios-Henri Laaksonen- Attila Balazs- Pierre Hugues Herbert-Alex Bolt-Marcus Willis-Kristijan Mesaros-Berankis-Chris Rungkat-Piotr Gadomski-Kike Lopez-Perez
www.tennisalternative.com
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 AM   #58
country flag Guy Haines

Guy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond reputeGuy Haines has a reputation beyond repute

So glad Gilles is playing again!

Truc, your translations are the best. "Knots in the mind" -- Gilles is a thinker compared to much of the tour.

It'll surely be a building process. His first rise up the rankings was like that. I hope he can do it again.

Btw, it's ironic all the complaints and sniping comments directed at Gilles in GM. I actually love the look of his game and his form on serves and grounstrokes. There are many players on tour with uglier games and more obvious weaknesses.

It'll be good to see him on court again.
Guy Haines is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #59
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome, I liked the "knots in the mind" too, very spot on!

Today's interview in L'Equipe:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pain.jpg (213.2 KB, 15 views)
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #60
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

He showed two different faces during the match. He took a perfect start. Then at the end of the 1st set he started to hold a press conference on the court at the same time as he was fighting: "Not one service winner! ... It's driving me crazy! ... I'm sick of not being able to hit a cross FH!"
He lost the 2nd set TB despite having a MP and it was not looking good for him at the beginning of the 3rd set. The live commentary went accordingly: "If only I was able to serve, I would beat him in straight... I have no condition... I haven't hit one single winner in the whole match!"
Then out of the blue he calmed down and had the little bit of luck one needs on grass to pull out the win.

The interview:
The journalist says the match was strange, with a lot of ups and downs from both players.
Gilles says he played the MP well, even though he had trouble taking control of that rallye. He "forced" Korolev to play a difficult shot and to hit a long line winner of a low-bouncing ball, and Korolev did it.

The knee:
There is a risk to reinjure the knee during an estimated period of 2-3 months. It's not like a strain where you can run completely normally again as soon as the injury is over. He will feel easier in his mind after 3 months on the tour. But right now, he can't say to himself: "allez, everything is fine, yippee!" He's doing what he can...

His attitude on the court was not flawless:
He tries to have the right attitude in training, but he's not serene enough yet to stay focused on what he has to do. His attitude deteriorated during the match, his serve was giving him so much trouble. Since he was very tensed on his serve, his body was starting to ache all over by the end of the 2nd set. He wasn't able to relax. It was tough. But he calmed down well, it's great to have won.

What was different from his former matches?
In the past, even when he wasn't playing well, he used to think that he was at least able to run all over the court and that the opponent would need to spend a lot of time on the court to beat him. He was bringing everything back, even if it was at 2 km/h only. If he tries to do the same now, he will most probably end up in the "infirmary".
On the other hand, his upper body is stronger now, he can serve hard during a longer time. He is absolutely not worried about his ability to be back at the top if the knee issue settles down in the long term. But his speed and his movement will be the deciding point. Depending on how good his movement is, he plays like a top 50 player, top 30 or top 10.

All in all, he's happy with the match, at least he will be able to play a 2nd match. He doesn't know his opponent at all (I'm not sure if he has never heard of Kuznetsov or if he means he hadn't even checked who he would play in the 2nd round). He will try to recover well now, but he will certainly feel some pain this morning.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote