articles - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
country flag yamja

yamja is on a distinguished road
Default articles

Tennis: Ernests Gulbis - Sam Querrey, ATP Tour

Nobody knows for sure what is going to happen in this match. Gulbis is a player with more talent and clearer shots but he is mentally and physically much weaker than Sam. Since this is a clay surface I'd rate mental and physical strength much more important than pure talent.
Additionally Ernests is an incredibly lazy player. It's a question of whether or not he'll come onto the court feeling the flow. If he doesn't this match is over in three sets. If he does than we have a match on our hands.
Querrey is not a complete and utter mug on clay even though that is what can be expected from an American on this surface.
Main strengths of Sam are his serve and powerful forehand. His backhand is great as well which means that he is equipped with everything it takes to be a solid claycourter. He knows how to play at the net and isn't shy of coming forward if he sees the chance.
Glubis seldom comes to the net. He sticks to the baseline because that's where he's best at. His serve is not near as good or reliable as Querrey's but his groundstrokes are phenomenal at times.
I think that Sam Querrey has good chances of winning here and that he should be considered to be the favorite, no matter how ridiculous it may sound at first. I think that he's overall the better player, in slightly better form even though both of these two players have been in a slump for a long time now.

- - - - -
Posted on: 24.05.2009, 10.34 CET (viewed: 569 times)

8/10 on Sam Querrey at 2.07 with Expekt (Fixed Odds)

source :
http://www.bettingexpert.com/fviewpick.php?view=48813
yamja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
country flag yamja

Default Re: articles

Tennis: Ernests Gulbis - Ivan Dodig, ATP Tour

These are huge odds. Not a mistake by the bookies just huge.
Dodig had a great match against Andreev while Gulbis struggled against an out of form Tursunov.
As far as I know Dodig is a heavy server, close to Ivo Karlovic I think, but has an actual game accompanying it unlike Karlovic.
This bet is something I just wanted to share because of my opinion about Gulbis. Ernests is an incredibly lazy player and was dubbed as such by noone else but his own coach. He's something close to a spoiled brat. His parents are rich so he can do what ever he wants. Gulbis has huge talent and potential but he's laziness and his mental instablity have prevented him from making an impression and a mark on the world tennis that i think a guy with his abilities ought to have done.
Ivan will be playing at home, will have crowd support and will have healthy confidence after winning against Andreev. Dodig made this kind of a surprise last year as well against a few players though I can't recall the actual players and tournaments he played on. He's ranked around 425th place in the ATP standings so every match like this he'll be playing like it's the final of a grandslam.
If Gulbis takes him lightly, which he surely will, there's a good chance Dodig might win. The handicap line is still not out yet in most bookies, but should be around 5 games. That is a good bet in my opinion but I'll stake a few units on Ivan Dodig's straight win cause I think there's value in it.

- - - - -
Posted on: 05.02.2009, 01.27 CET (viewed: 1317 times)

3/10 on Ivan Dodig at 7.50 with Bet365 (Fixed Odds)

source: http://www.bettingexpert.com/fviewpick.php?view=45238
Old 06-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
country flag yamja

Monday mailbox: Got Gulbis?

2009-01-05 16:51:50
A dear friend of mine wrote a book entitled Controversy Creates Cash. Throughout the book, he offers an unfiltered view of the sports entertainment industry. In addition, he provides a detailed account about how to create a successful financial empire by whatever means necessary.

Legitimate professional sports, much like their twisted cousin, "sports entertainment"- professional wrestling, for those unfamiliar with the term- are first and foremost, a business. The bottom line for any business is...

Say it with me now- MONEY.

Everyone has heard the saying, "Money is the root of all evil." Not true. Money, by itself, is harmless. The "evil" part, such as it is, exists within our lust for, and desire to acquire it. Once you factor in the human element, replete with expectation, projection and, more importantly, its insatiable need to exaggerate importance of money, the dynamic becomes more difficult to manage. The financial "have nots," find themselves forever committed to wage a war against, and target, the financial "haves."

A scathing email, dedicated to current ATP world #53 and cash-flushed Latvian star, Ernests Gulbis, found its way into my inbox over the weekend:

Dear Kelli,

Ernests Gulbis is a worthless trust fund baby who treats the tour like nothing more than a private country club. I'm convinced he plays tennis as an excuse to convince his family he isn't sitting around all day and night doing nothing, bleeding them dry.

He looks down his nose at the rest of the guys on tour who have no choice but to work to earn a living. Gulbis doesn't know the pressure of needing to make money to feed himself or his family. He is a time waster on tour for lack of anything else productive to do with his time. It disgusts me. He gets to mess about, traveling the world whilst ball bashing. How is he supposed to find any motivation to win anything?

He is spoilt and lazy. If I could, I'd kick him out of every tournament and forbid him to play.

Signed,
YZ

Although a familiar stance on Riga's favorite son, it remains one with which I categorically disagree. A cursory reading between the lines of text reveals the author's true motivation for sending the email.

Anyone who finds himself in possession of a clear financial advantage, no matter its origin, would be a fool not to use it to the best of his ability. Gulbis has tremendous talent, which functions independently of his station or struggle to win tennis matches. To suggest that his presence on tour is somehow less viable, simply because he was born into wealth and privilege, or has access to a lifestyle most people will never know, is ludicrous.

The Gulbis highlight reel for 2008:
reached the quarterfinal round at Roland Garros
won 24 matches, up 14 from 2007
climbed to a career-high ranking #38 in August
recorded multiple wins over (former) world #8, James Blake
earned more than $500,000 for the year

In terms of marketability, Gulbis is an easy sell for the ATP. He possesses an attractive, high-risk, flashy game which appeals to a wide array of tennis fans. Affable and personable, he gives entertaining interviews, and is pretty enough to have his image tacked onto the bedroom walls of every 15 year-old-girl on the planet. Should he find an extended period of time in which he plays consistently well, expect Gulbis to become a bonafide tennis superstar.

Jealousy, especially the green-tinted kind can eat you alive, my friend. My advice? Let Ernie and his bank account go and your happiness level will increase tenfold.

source:http://www.tennistalk.com/en/blog/Ke..._Got_Gulbis%3F
Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

I am seriously doubting if this will uplift the spirits here. I can use some explanation why this had to be posted, thanks.

And the source of the last article is of course tennistalk.com
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

TennisTalk I'd rather listen to Perez Hilton dissect tennis than read Ricky Dimon.

If you have any articles of substance, I'd like to point you to the News Thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=121550

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
TennisTalk I'd rather listen to Perez Hilton dissect tennis than read Ricky Dimon.
If you have any articles of substance, I'd like to point you to the News Thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=121550
So would I! That would be pretty entertaining!
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
country flag littlevictories

littlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond reputelittlevictories has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
I'd rather listen to Perez Hilton dissect tennis than read Ricky Dimon.
we'll be seeing pictures of ernests with lewd paint drawings all over them soon

Gulbis-Murray-Safin-Djokovic-Dr Ivo

full time stalker-part time poster
littlevictories is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
country flag jitterbug

jitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond reputejitterbug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlevictories View Post
we'll be seeing pictures of ernests with lewd paint drawings all over them soon

Anyway, Kelli from TennisTalk was actually defending Ernie in that above article Cheryl Murray (cmurray on MTF, I think) is another TennisTalk contributor and a pretty good one at that. It's just Dickonator who gave the rest of them a bad name.

The importance of being Ernests Riga Mortis

Ernests Gulbis on seeing HEAD racquets being made by hand:
Quote:
I felt so bad. I didn’t break a racquet for like one month. They are putting so much effort to make the racquets and an idiot like me goes and breaks them
jitterbug is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
country flag tennis_05

tennis_05 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry but I dont understand why people would write such horrible articles about Ernie.
They're just jealous coz their hair isnt as pretty as E's
If anything everyone should be proud of E and the fact that he is trying to make a name for himself rather than relying on his parents
tennis_05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
country flag TravelingFanGirl

TravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond reputeTravelingFanGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_05 View Post
I'm sorry but I dont understand why people would write such horrible articles about Ernie.
They're just jealous coz their hair isnt as pretty as E's
If anything everyone should be proud of E and the fact that he is trying to make a name for himself rather than relying on his parents
I say that all the time!!

And I agree, I'm very proud of Ernests. And He isn't playing for people like Ricky. It's not his job to live up to people's ( he doesn't even know ) standards of what hes suppose to be. He is who he is. He goes out there and playes, yes it's not always the result we hope for but he's still trying.
TravelingFanGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
country flag LaraFeddyGulbis

LaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of marketability, Gulbis is an easy sell for the ATP. He possesses an attractive, high-risk, flashy game which appeals to a wide array of tennis fans. Affable and personable, he gives entertaining interviews, and is pretty enough to have his image tacked onto the bedroom walls of every 15 year-old-girl on the planet. Should he find an extended period of time in which he plays consistently well, expect Gulbis to become a bonafide tennis superstar.

Jealousy, especially the green-tinted kind can eat you alive, my friend. My advice? Let Ernie and his bank account go and your happiness level will increase tenfold.

They almost guessed my age

Tennis is an incredibly hard sport, and, once in a while every player has a low. But tennis is not only a hard, but it's also an expensive, maybe even the most expensive sport so every player that competes professionally is well situated, that's for sure. For example, I have heard from the Serbian media that Novak's dad is awfully rich but did not earn the money in a fair way (it's not like I believe that). Obviously, they won't spit on Novak, but on Erno, because as I could notice so far, Ernie REALLY stands on his own, unlike Novak (sorry fans) whose dad got a Serbian commentator fired because he wasn't exactly... complementing Nole ENOUGH.

ERNIE ROCKS!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
country flag ellen_

ellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond reputeellen_ has a reputation beyond repute

What does Nole have to do with this again?
"Sometimes you are embarrassed by how you are playing. Sometimes you want to be there, sometimes you want to go home. Sometimes you are fighting hard and sometimes you are fighting yourself." - Ernests Gulbis

To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle - Buddha
ellen_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #13

LaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond reputeLaraFeddyGulbis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_ View Post

LOL, I just added an example
Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen_ View Post

LOL, I just added an example

... now I'm off to take a shower.. and take this nuclear catastrophe out of me... -.-
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
country flag osmonde

osmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond reputeosmonde has a reputation beyond repute

CloseMatch Tough

When a loss is a win

Published on Monday, May. 03, 2010 11:01AM EDT

TOM TEBBUTT

Ernests Gulbis doesn’t know it, but losing a thrilling 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 Italian Open semi-final to Rafael Nadal on Saturday may have been a masterful career move.

The Latvian, 21, upset world No. 1 Roger Federer in the second round last Wednesday and he probably has no idea just how much attention he would have received had he also defeated Nadal, and maybe gone on to win the tournament.

Gulbis is a tennis media darling. He reached the 2008 French Open quarter-finals at 19 and has long been regarded as a top prospect because of his phenomenal game – he hits with dazzling power off the forehand and backhand sides, serves huge, returns serve well and has wicked drop shot, which he tends to over-use. The drop shot is a kind of guilty pleasure resulting from his natural flair.

He probably comes by that honestly as a member of one of the most prominent families in Latvia. His remarried mother, Milena Gulbe-Kavace, is a former actress and his father, Ainars, is one of the wealthiest businessmen in the country.

Ernests, as an eight year old, was as a child actor in a film, Hidden Agenda Two, with his mother. Her father was the legendary actor and film director, Uldis Pucitis. In an article in the Latvian press two years ago, his mother, usually not eager to talk about Ernests in the media, was already saying, “I was the daughter of Uldis Pucitis once, now I’m the mother of Ernests Gulbis.”

Along with his mother’s interesting back story and his father’s wealth, his paternal grandfather was a well-known basketball player in the former Soviet Union. Ernests, named after Ernest Hemingway, is very much his own man. He has a wide range of interests and as well as a frequently admitted disinclination to spend much time on the practice court.

Most obvious about him is that he is a chiselled six-foot-three and good-looking, with unruly hair and a disarming smile.

Until a run that resulted in his first ATP title in Delray Beach, Fla., in March and then a recent 7-2 record at events in Barcelona and Rome, Gulbis’ progress had been sketchy. He shares an August/September, 1988, birth date with Juan Martin del Potro and Marin Cilic. But while del Potro won the US Open in 2009, and Cilic climbed to a career-best No. 13 last year, Gulbis tumbled from a career high No. 38 in August, 2008, to No. 101 in September, 2009, in part because of patella problem in his knee.

But now, ranked No. 35 with a bullet, he may actually be a better current-form player than either of them. A right-wrist tendinitis injury has kept del Potro off the tour since the Australian Open, while Cilic has plateau-ed a little lately.

Looking ahead to the Masters 1000 in Madrid next week and the French Open in three weeks, Gulbis quipped, “I think I have a good chance in these tournaments if I’m stable enough, if I don’t go out of my mind and if I don’t take a holiday when I shouldn’t be taking one.”

Following their match on Saturday, Nadal said about Gulbis reaching a top-10 ranking, “I thought that two years ago and, after this week, I think he can do it for sure. I saw him losing last year to some people and sometimes I didn’t understand.”

By losing to Nadal in Rome, Gulbis has avoided the media frenzy that would have resulted if he had become the first player ever to beat Nadal and Federer on clay in the same event. Now, he will have a slightly lower profile heading into Roland Garros, though still an interesting one that seems destined to become even more familiar to tennis followers over the next few months and years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1554791/
osmonde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote