Choosing racket - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
country flag fudgeball

fudgeball is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing racket

Hi guys,
Yes i know this is a men's forum (i'm a female) but i chose to join this because i noted that you guys give pretty awesome advise on racket choices etc. so here goes.
i'm a 3.5-4.0 NTRP player with a semi western grip and a double backhand. i'm primarily a baseline player who hits flat shots. 20 year old female, 5'4, 98-100lbs, who has been playing for 6 years.

been looking at the wilson kblade 98, wilson blx pro open, wilson blx tour, wilson kobra and head microgel instinct.

any advise would be much appreciated
fudgeball is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing racket

each racket gives you something a little different, so which one you would go for depends on what characteristics you are looking for.

the blade, for example, is the heaviest, has a small headsize and a dense string pattern, which give it the most control, but make it more difficult to use.

the pro open and kobra (i assume you are looking at the kobra team and not the tour) are very similar. they are listed as the same headsize (though if you look closely at the frames, the kobra is slighlty larger), are 1g different in weight and have the same open string pattern. both good baseline rackets, that provide spin and power. the kobra will be a touch more powerful, as it has the aerodynamic throad shape.

the instinct is similar to the pro open and kobra; its the same headsize and weight, but while the headshape on the wilsons is more rounded to give better access to spin, the headshape of the instinct is more elongated, slightly suiting flat hitters more. this is then further emphasised by its slightly denser string pattern.

finally the blx tour. this is a racket i would categorise as a womens racket (men should buy the 6.1 team instead). it has the smallest headsize of the rackets you picked out, but is also the lightest. if you have good timing, but want more power then this is a good option.
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
country flag fudgeball

Hey Jazar
I'm actually looking for more power and more control on my shots. extra power on my serve would be awesome too.
may i know why would playing with a dense string pattern racket be harder? been hearing lots of mixed reviews about it.
was actually looking at the kobra tour, they dont sell kobra teams here in singapore. haa
would this mean the instinct (or tour blx) would be the ideal choice
Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
country flag jazar

jazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond reputejazar has a reputation beyond repute

playing with a denser string pattern isnt necessarily harder, it suits someone who hits flatter and usually only comes in smaller headsize and heavier frames. the kobra tour is a relatively heavy frame, particular for a woman, so yoy may want to try and hit with it if you're keen on it, to see how you get on. either the instinct or tour blx would be a little easier to use than the kobra tour, so i would consider them over the kobra tour. if you can, have a little hit with as many of them as possible to try and see the subtle differences between them
jazar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
country flag fudgeball

thanks for the advise!