Giuliani: momentum to propel Kagan to the Supreme Court of the United States - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Giuliani: momentum to propel Kagan to the Supreme Court of the United States

Great news! Ms. Kagan appears to apply a rather liberal approach with regard to social issues, while applying a more moderate approach with regard to economic freedoms.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_567456.html

President Obama is expected to nominate Solicitor General and former Harvard Law dean Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court on Monday, Mike Allen reports.
Kagan has long considered the frontrunner to replace retiring Justice John Paul Stevens, even as questions have emerged about the limited public record of her legal opinions and how she compares ideologically to Stevens, a Gerald Ford appointee who has nonetheless been the high court's flagship liberal justice for decades. President Obama seems to have few doubts, however, Allen reports.
"The pick isn't official, but top White House aides will be shocked if it's otherwise," Allen says. "Kagan's relative youth (50) is a huge asset for the lifetime post. And President Obama considers her to be a persuasive, fearless advocate who would serve as an intellectual counterweight to Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Scalia, and could lure swing Justice Kennedy into some coalitions."
The White House may leak the news as early as this weekend, according to Allen.

Last edited by prima donna : 05-11-2010 at 06:55 PM.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elena Kagan to be President Obama's Supreme Court Nominee

Elena Kagan
Curriculum vitae
Current Position: U.S. Solicitor General (since March 2009)
Career History: Dean of Harvard Law School (2003 to 2009); Professor of Law at Harvard 1999 to 2009); Deputy assistant to the president for domestic policy (1997 to 1999)
Birthday: April 28, 1960
Hometown: New York, N.Y.
Alma Mater: Princeton University, A.B. (history), 1981; Oxford University, M. Phil., 1983; Harvard Law School, J.D., 1986
Spouse: Single
Religion: Judaism
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

on the liftime thing: is there any way these people can get "voted out of office" at all? and if so, how?
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
on the liftime thing: is there any way these people can get "voted out of office" at all?
No.

-------------
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_US_S...ed_from_office
Under normal circumstances, a Supreme Court justice is awarded a lifetime commission.

A Supreme Court Justice may be impeached by the House of Representatives and removed from office if convicted in a Senate trial, but only for the same types of offenses that would trigger impeachment proceedings for any other government official under Articles I and II of the Constitution.

Article III, Section 1 states that judges of Article III courts shall hold their offices "during good behavior." "The phrase "good behavior" has been interpreted by the courts to equate to the same level of seriousness 'high crimes and misdemeanors" encompasses.

In addition, any federal judge may prosecuted in the criminal courts for criminal activity. If found guilty of a crime in a federal district court, the justice would face the same type of sentencing any other criminal defendant would. The district court could not remove him/her from the Bench. However, any justice found guilty in the criminal courts of any felony would certainly be impeached and, if found guilty, removed from office.

In the United States, impeachment is most often used to remove corrupt lower-court federal judges from office, but it's not unusual to find disgruntled special interest groups circulating petitions on the internet calling for the impeachment of one or all members of the High Court.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

wow.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Rumors are in circulation regarding Ms. Kagan's sexuality. To the extent that such a factor is significant, one can't help but consider it an advantageous one. Ms. Kagan's academic credentials are impeccable, and it would be great were she to be confirmed, as she would bring forth astuteness and diversity.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to see if the Republicans would choose to be obstructionist about this nomination, were it to take place - there's a school of thought that at this point they will choose to try and obstruct virtually anybody.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
country flag DualMedia

DualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond repute

scoobs, you are into american politics?

I think it is great to have a women in the seat! STOP WORRYING ABOUT HER SEXUALITY! It doesnt matter!
DualMedia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
It would be interesting to see if the Republicans would choose to be obstructionist about this nomination, were it to take place - there's a school of thought that at this point they will choose to try and obstruct virtually anybody.
Elena Kagan is regarded as the least controversial candidate, primarily due to the fact that very little dirt can be found that would indicate views contrary to the mainstream. It's not out of the question, but Republicans will find it difficult to provide justification for doing so.

Also, I'm fairly sure that a vote or two could be mustered. Perhaps in the form of, say, Lindsey Graham who voted in favor of Justice Sotomayor.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
country flag Stensland

watch glenn beck digging up something.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
country flag DualMedia

DualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond repute

glenn beck is very annoying!!
DualMedia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elena Kagan to be President Obama's Supreme Court nominee

Republicans will put up just a token fight. Whoever Obama picked would be confirmed anyways since they only need to pick off 1 Republican vote. I'm skeptical about her but will withhold judgment until the confirmation hearings get underway.
Chip_s_m is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
country flag prima donna
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_s_m View Post
I'm skeptical about her
And what part of her record has elicited your skepticism ?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
country flag Chip_s_m

Chip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond reputeChip_s_m has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
watch glenn beck digging up something.
Glenn Beck would dig up dirt on anyone, Republican, Democrat or otherwise. He's an equal-opportunity critic.

Some of his opinions need to be said, though.

Last edited by Chip_s_m : 05-07-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
country flag Chip_s_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima donna View Post
And what part of her record has elicited your skepticism ?
I'm not very familiar with her record which is why I'm withholding judgment. However, I'm skeptical because she's been nominated by Obama, and I'm going to be skeptical of anything he does after the "stimulus" and health-care debacles. Hell, I'm going to be skeptical of pretty much anything coming out of DC these days, whether it's produced by a Republican or Democrat.