Financial clusterfuck in Europe - Page 53 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #781
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial clusterfuck in Europe

you're lucky you're dealing with germany here, the biggest pussies on the planet. remember when your non-country wet its pants back when the us of a made you bend over? ah, good times.

time to break up switzerland for good. rome, paris and berlin should come up with a masterplan to end the reign of financial terror. i'm positive this will still happen in my lifetime.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #782
country flag bokehlicious
♥ eve ♥

bokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond reputebokehlicious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
you're lucky you're dealing with germany here, the biggest pussies on the planet. remember when your non-country wet its pants back when the us of a made you bend over? ah, good times.

time to break up switzerland for good. rome, paris and berlin should come up with a masterplan to end the reign of financial terror. i'm positive this will still happen in my lifetime.
Gadaffi hears you

If those countries can't fix their horrific tax policies and stop stealing money from their wealthy citizen then that's not Switzerland's problem. And if they can't escape to SUI anymore no doubt they'll find other places to avoid paying way too much for their lazy citizen.
bokehlicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #783
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

some surprises here (greece, israel, spain etc.)...
Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #784
country flag peribsen

peribsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

some surprises here (greece, israel, spain etc.)...
What's so surprising about Spain in that graph?

What does surprise me is how some culturally Catholic countries like Poland and Ireland can be so obsessed with money, though it's probably a hangover from being cut off from the West for so long (in Poland's case) and from its history of extreme poverty (Ireland's).

Wonder why Italy didn't make the graph, it's odd that they left it out.
peribsen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #785
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

typical Sweden. Always trying so hard to be politically correct. Behind closed doors everyone is just as greedy and materialistic.

But it is true they like to show off more in Russia for example. It's cool to be rich and extravagant there. In Sweden it's a bit ugly to brag about high salary or having a very expensive car. Even rich people like to keep a low profile. Funniest examples are billionaries like IKEA founder Kamprad who walk around pretending to be your average swede, shopping on discounts and being a bit cheap about everything when he could live like a king if he wanted to.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #786
country flag peribsen

peribsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond reputeperibsen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
typical Sweden. Always trying so hard to be politically correct. Behind closed doors everyone is just as greedy and materialistic.
I'm sure there's quite a lot of that in most countries. But the difference is not in individual political correctness posturing, but on whether society is or isn't rigged mostly around how to make fast money (which is a force also present in most countries, certainly in my own).
Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #787
country flag Stensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribsen View Post
What's so surprising about Spain in that graph?
it's just that other mediterranean countries are high up the list while spain isn't. plus spaniards were literally dropping out of high school to work in construction and similar booming industries just to make a quick buck prior to 2008. it seemed like making money as fast as possible instead of going for an actual profession was widely accepted.

@ maxpower: don't you diss sweden or i'm comin' over there (eventually anyways )
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #788
country flag peribsen

Quote:
it's just that other mediterranean countries are high up the list while spain isn't.
Which other Western Mediterranean countries are "high up the list"? Because I see Portugal and France (partially Med) quite close to Spain in the bottom third of the table (Italy, as I said before, is surprisingly missing).

Or is it that you really believe in the existance of a "Med world", in the sense that you think Spain is culturally closer to Greece, Cyprus or Israel than to say France or Belgium? Because if that is the case, you really need to take another look at European history.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #789
country flag fast_clay

fast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond reputefast_clay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Man kills himself in Athens main square and this was his suicide note
http://www.businessinsider.com/man-k...ampaign=europe
fast_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #790
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Some psycho protester probably shot him and attached the suicide note.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #791
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
I still don't understand if the Greeks can truly blame government for their plight, or if they must blame themselves for repeatedly electing governments that allowed them to live beyond their means.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #792
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

this kid was onto something

http://business.financialpost.com/20...-year-old-boy/
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #793
country flag peribsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I still don't understand if the Greeks can truly blame government for their plight, or if they must blame themselves for repeatedly electing governments that allowed them to live beyond their means.
Well, look at it this way: the average Greek (like the average you name it), doesn't really know anything about macroeconomics. He is relatively poor (no European country is really poor in a third world sense) and has never had much chance of really improving his lot except by migration. Suddenly, his country enters a system where money flows like it never has. Maybe at first he thinks there is something fishy, and maybe he looks to see what people who should know better have to say about it all. They all happily goad them on. It's not just his own bankers and politicians, but Brussels, Paris, Berlin, Rome, wherever you turn, its all green lights. The rating agencies actually go out of their way praising the Greek politicians who were doctoring the balance sheets. So the average Greek small shop owner or Athens bus driver or nurse, just gets on with his/her life.

Then everything comes crashing down around him and suddenly everyone is telling him he is to blame. The very same rating agencies that were goading him on, now turn around at tell him that all his life's efforts aren't worth shit.

So yes, of course the Greeks are to blame, for choosing lousy leaders (er.. well, like if the rest of us, at both sides of the Atlantic, always chose virtuose ones...) and for not always paying their taxes and waving a lot of rules.

The question is whether we can fairly lay the blame only -or even mostly- on them. The average guy on the streets of Athens must be thinking that someone is using him as a boggey man for covering their own guilt. And he does have a point.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #794
country flag Stensland

you're right, peribsen, most med countries are nowhere near the top. my mistake. for some reasons i thought portugal was up there but it's not.

still, what about my points? i used to think most bubble economies with skyrocketing growth numbers are prone to developing a generation of cash-obsessed youth. it happned in greece, it happened in ireland, it apparently happened to some extent in eastern europe (different kind of bubble though), but according to the poll it did not happen in spain. how come?

*edit: on topic:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...825762,00.html

Quote:
Madrid's Mayor Chips Away at Debt and Tradition

Last edited by Stensland : 04-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #795
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribsen View Post
Well, look at it this way: the average Greek (like the average you name it), doesn't really know anything about macroeconomics. He is relatively poor .
Says he is a retired pharmacist that lives alone in an apartment. What I don't understand is how someone like this had not prepared for his retirement.

Of course, I don't know what he lost. Were pensions cancelled?