Is Nadal playing it smart this clay court season - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
cool bird1

cool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond reputecool bird1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Nadal playing it smart this clay court season

I really hope Nadal plays it smart this clay court season and does not over play. Please tell me he is not down to play Barcelona agin this year

ROGER FEDERER
17 GRANDSLAMS AND COUNTING 1 DOUBLES GOLD MEDAL YOU ARE A GOD WHO WALKS WITH MORTALS

RAFA THE KING OF CLAY AND KING OF HEARTS
cool bird1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
country flag RedFury
This space for rent.

RedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond reputeRedFury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Nadal playing it smart this clay court season

Seems like he wouldn't skip Barcelona if his life depended on it. It's his home club and he feels obliged. As for Madrid, six of one half a dozen of the other. As a Real Madrid fan and a proud Spaniard, it appears (to him anyway) that he has no alternative other than being a "traitor." And while loyalty is a great trait to have, it's not always rewarding.

In short, no, as scheduled, he certainly is not "playing it smart." However, here's hoping for a couple of quick exits, certainly one in Madrid and/or another one in Barcelona/Rome. Otherwise, hard to imagine another RG title this year.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
country flag robinpirate

robinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond reputerobinpirate has a reputation beyond repute

he isnt as young anymore, but he know that clay season is his best opportunity to rack up the points to try to be the #1. it's a dilemma for him, but I think he will play every tournament. I hope the opposition is better this year and somebody else than federer beat him on clay...one can dream
robinpirate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
country flag theseth1119

theseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Sodie beat him on clay last year at the FO remember, so it's not like only Rogie can beat him on clay.
theseth1119 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
country flag CyBorg

CyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not convinced that Nadal's clay court schedule is what was the problem last year. I can see why some people would think so.

The causal reasoning is simple. The end result is the loss to Soderling. The lead-up to that is four long tournaments.

But I'm not buying that it was the scheduling that hurt Nadal.

First of all, he had a whole week of rest before RG. And, oddly enough, he choose to spend it by playing exhibitions (why do this if you're hurt).

Secondly, why associate "being hurt" with "being tired"? Because one is not like the other. When a player overplays, he gets tired - not necessarily hurt. Getting hurt, however, is a different thing. One could get hurt by chance - a freak incident. Oftentimes, it has nothing to do with how much one plays.

Thirdly, there were reports that Nadal had some lower body issues all the way back in Rotterdam of 2009. Did he have these problems this year so far? I have not heard anything?

So why are we worried about his workload again this spring? He's going to have two full weeks of rest again - not to mention that masters events are shorter than ever, all have byes for top players and the number of matches played for a finalist is down from six to five.

Give me a break.

'A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.'
- Bertrand Russell
CyBorg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
country flag azinna

azinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond reputeazinna has a reputation beyond repute

^^Soon after RG, Nadal skipped Wimbledon and was out for a while. To the extent that we can tell, I'd say that's good enough proof that he was injured and not just tired.

It's fair to wonder if folks are placing too much emphasis on Nadal's packed clay season. Certainly, Nadal's style of play throughout the year, on various surfaces, contributed and will keep contributing to the sort of knee ailments he's cited as issues. But there's no question a packed clay season could aggravate or produce a recurrence of his injuries, which include tendinitis, from chronic overuse and not just freak accidents.

Always on the lookout for a great tennis match.

Last edited by azinna : 04-17-2010 at 03:46 AM.
azinna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
country flag CyBorg

CyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post
^^Soon after RG, Nadal skipped Wimbledon and was out for a while. To the extent that we can tell from our computer and TV screens, I'd say that's good enough proof that he was injured and not just tired.
Well, facking duh he was injured. I didn't say he was tired.

The question is 'when' and 'how' the injury took place.

'A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.'
- Bertrand Russell
CyBorg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

Rafa retired against Murray at the AO and was complaining about his knee in the Roddick match in Miami, so I do think he's been having injury issues this year

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #9
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Real answer: We don't know how this season will affect him. We are not his medical examiners nor are we his agents like 99% of Rafatards like to think so and contribute all his losses to injury.

As a spectator what he is doing is really careless by playing with a full schedule. I mean it seems like the main goal for him is to regain the number 1 spot by sheer points. Almost seems like gaining the spot is more important than the titles. I guess to him, it is worth it to just get that accomplished and have his body supposedly fail on him once more.

The thing that I really do not understand, is that he turns around and blames the ATP for his full schedule. Look at Federer, he barely plays yet he maintains a clear lead being number one. I don't see why he can't play less tournaments and just do his 100% best at each one.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
country flag guga2120

guga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond reputeguga2120 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBorg View Post
I'm not convinced that Nadal's clay court schedule is what was the problem last year. I can see why some people would think so.

The causal reasoning is simple. The end result is the loss to Soderling. The lead-up to that is four long tournaments.

But I'm not buying that it was the scheduling that hurt Nadal.

First of all, he had a whole week of rest before RG. And, oddly enough, he choose to spend it by playing exhibitions (why do this if you're hurt).

Secondly, why associate "being hurt" with "being tired"? Because one is not like the other. When a player overplays, he gets tired - not necessarily hurt. Getting hurt, however, is a different thing. One could get hurt by chance - a freak incident. Oftentimes, it has nothing to do with how much one plays.

Thirdly, there were reports that Nadal had some lower body issues all the way back in Rotterdam of 2009. Did he have these problems this year so far? I have not heard anything?

So why are we worried about his workload again this spring? He's going to have two full weeks of rest again - not to mention that masters events are shorter than ever, all have byes for top players and the number of matches played for a finalist is down from six to five.

Give me a break.
What a dumbass post. This is a joke, yes?

He did pull out of Queens and Wimbledon though, b/c he does not care about the grass court season at all.
guga2120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #11
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guga2120 View Post
What a dumbass post. This is a joke, yes?

He did pull out of Queens and Wimbledon though, b/c he does not care about the grass court season at all.
Way to completely miss the point. Read his post again, you might get it.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
country flag Topspin Forehand

Topspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTopspin Forehand has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal better skip Madrid.
Topspin Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 AM   #13
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Playing players like De Bakker and Berrer = Smartest move ever!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #14
country flag theseth1119

theseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond reputetheseth1119 has a reputation beyond repute

De Bakker and Berrer are crap anyway. Ferrero is decent, but not great, same with Ferrer at best. Only Verdasco and Chokovic pose a threat to Rafa here. They're all just luky Rogie isn't here because he'd be winning Monte Carlo for the first time ever.
theseth1119 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
country flag Swiss Mountain

Swiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal beated the older and tired Ferrero, big deal, just like Rome 2006 final when he beated an exhausted Federer (thank you Nalbandian) in the Rome final 2006 (fed played for 5 hours in 5 sets the day before; fed Djoko match in madrid 09 was shit compare to that one)

Inside Tennis - March 23rd, 2010
Swiss Mountain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote