The United Kingdom General Election thread - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #31
country flag AdeyC
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

AdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond reputeAdeyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The United Kingdom General Election thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
what rubbish.

it means our politicians might actually have to start working together for a change, rather than just ramming policy through using their built-in majorities.
It would be a return to the later days of John Major - doing shady deals with the Ulster Unionists just to gain their votes for the next big Parliamentary vote.
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #32
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
The House of Lords is a waste of time atm.

Why not let one house be a representation of the popular vote and the other can represent the 600 constituencies.
That would be too reasonable.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 AM   #33
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
It would be a return to the later days of John Major - doing shady deals with the Ulster Unionists just to gain their votes for the next big Parliamentary vote.
Why the suggestion of shady deals? Didn't the Ulster Unionists always vote with the Tories?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Why the suggestion of shady deals? Didn't the Ulster Unionists always vote with the Tories?
You are both partly right:-
Up until 1974 the UUP was affiliated with the National Union of Conservative and Unionist Associations, and Ulster Unionist MPs sat with the Conservative Party at Westminster, traditionally taking the Conservative parliamentary whip. To all intents and purposes the party functioned as the Northern Ireland branch of the Conservative Party. In 1974, in protest over the Sunningdale Agreement, the Westminster Ulster Unionist MPs withdrew from the alliance. The party remained affiliated to the National Union but in 1985, they withdrew from it as well, in protest over the Anglo-Irish Agreement. Subsequently, the Conservative Party has organised separately in Northern Ireland, with little electoral success. (wikipaedia)

I think a worse example of the problems of a hung parliament was the Lib-Lab pact of 1977/78, when the minority Labour government was kept in power to the annoyance of many. I believe the Lib-Lab pact is set to be revived for 2010 if there is another hung parliament.

Sadly the UK has no tradition of successful coalitions, except in wartime.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #35
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

We had a successful coalition for the early 1930s as well.

I am not so much interested in seeing an attempt at coalition government

(although I do believe that weaker governments electorally speaking lead to better, more scrutinised and less extreme legislation - governments that have large majorities become elective dictatorships and can ram through any old crap they like, we have seen it many times)

I am more interested in a Hung Parliament as a vehicle to comprehensive electoral reform, which this country badly needs. If people want to see a re-engagement with politics in this country, the best route to that is to make people's votes actually count for something meaningful, not just those people who vote in 10% of the constituencies at most.

I don't think we need to go to an extreme form of PR like in Israel where the single issue parties often have the balance of power, but we need to much more fairly represent the smaller parties in terms of seats - it's ridiculous that it takes on average 15,000 votes to elect a Labour MP, 20,000 for a Conservative MP and over 100,000 votes to see a Lib Dem returned, and even worse for the smaller parties. That's a sure-fire way to disenfranchise a lot of people.

Our electoral system is manifestly unfair. The Conservatives have no interest in changing it. Only a Lib-Lab government whether in formal coalition or not, with electoral reform one of the conditions of support, is the only way this ridiculous and unjust situation will ever change.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #36
country flag Sofonda Cox
Banned!

Sofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond repute

Lib Dems all the way. Nick Clegg is moderately hot
Sofonda Cox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #37
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/election2010/liveevent/

Love live debates. Very interesting discussions too.

Nick Clegg definitely won last time. Wonder who'll win this time.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #38
country flag prima donna
Banned!

prima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond reputeprima donna has a reputation beyond repute

How delightfully underwhelming.
prima donna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #39
country flag Sofonda Cox
Banned!

Sofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond reputeSofonda Cox has a reputation beyond repute

^yes a little.

Clegg won again imo. He was also much more in control of his answers and has a lot more charisma than Brown and Cameron.
Sofonda Cox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #40
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, he looks the more calm and rational of the three but I actually agreed with more of Cameron's answers. I just think the other two (especially Brown) are making unrealistic promises. A much bigger issue is where they'll get the money from to fund pensioners, civil servants, border control and bank bailouts.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #41
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

I think Clegg had another pretty good debate but I think both Cameron and Brown improved on the first outing.

I think there were no knockout blows, all three managed to land some punches here and there.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #42
country flag Merton

Merton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond reputeMerton has a reputation beyond repute

In a fair world the ex-Chancellor would spend the rest of his days in a monastery on a diet of bread and water, repenting for his sins. The bad thing is that I suspect Cameron can be even worse.

A coalition goverment and electoral reform looks like the best possible outcome at the moment.

From Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".
Merton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #43
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

What to say really, there aren't that many differences. Clegg is smooth and all, but if the Lib Dems got anywhere near power then they'd choke.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #44
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

i'm watching the debate now. i wanna see what all the clegg buzz is about.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #45
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
i'm watching the debate now. i wanna see what all the clegg buzz is about.
well the only buzz is that he's not brown, who many of the electorate despise, or Cameron, who many just don't trust at all, and he's articulate and seems relatively nice.

The thing with the Lib Dems is that our parliamentary system and our media too often largely exclude them from the ongoing political debate.

This debate put them on an even par with the other two parties and he grabbed it with both hands.