The United Kingdom General Election thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default The United Kingdom General Election thread

Thursday May 6. I live in a safe Labour seat, so not much is going to change here. But in the country itself I'd expect Cameron to win through and restore the Tories to power.

By all accounts the Lib Dems came out on top of the first US-style debate between the leaders.

I love the farcical campaigning and the run-up to polling day, remembering some of the incidents like John Prescott smacking a farmer for lobbing an egg
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The United Kingdom General Election thread

Like all western countries there's very little difference between the two main parties. Labour will raise taxes, Tories will raise taxes. Both want to reform the banking sector, neither will join the euro, neither will exit the EU.

Biggest disagreement is the issue of fiscal policy. Brown and Darling want to keep borrowing and stimulating, Cameron and Osborne want to cut spending and balance the budget.

Elections are always fun. The UK has one of the most out-dated democratic systems in the world but it's not too bad.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute

I am fortunate that in Eastbourne I have a respected Independent candidate I can vote for. He won't win, but he should get a decent vote to show that some of us are fed up with all the major parties.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
country flag Black Adam

Black Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Adam has a reputation beyond repute

I have just seen the latest polls and seat predictions. Ladies and Gentleman can you please tell me if this system seems like real democracy:
Quote:

- Conservatives 33% of vote: 40% of seats;
- Labour 28% of vote: 43% of seats;
- Lib Dems 30% of vote: 15% of seats.
Quote:
Pele was the black Rooney
Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
"We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A Feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being."
Black Adam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

First past the post system is a joke and there won't be any electoral reform in the UK.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

I’m also not a fan of the first past the post electoral system. Proportional representation isn’t perfect either of course, especially with regards to local MPs, but it is a far more democratic system than FPTP, and each vote is considerably more important/significant. In fact if PR was in place, many more people would turn out at the polls because they knew their votes wouldn’t be wasted. Of course one downside of PR is that parties like the BNP would probably fare better.

Out of the 3 main parties the Lib Dems are my favourite by a country mile. I do like Nick Clegg. Unfortunately the FPTP system continues to fuck them over, and unsurprisingly they are the only major party that want a PR system. I wish they would get their chance in government, and they surely couldn’t fare any worse than Labour and the Tories have done over the past century.

Labour have ruined the NHS (and as a medical student who will soon qualify that is something I feel very strongly about) and committed illegal war crimes. The Tories are rotten to the core and supported Labour with the war in Iraq, plus I simply don’t trust them with civil liberties. I can’t stress just how much I loathe David Cameron.

Unfortunately I fully expect the Tories to win the most seats on May 6th. It’s whether they will win enough for an overall majority that is the hot topic. I sort of want a hung parliament as despite causing more chaos/confusion, it would act as a powerful message to overly complacent main 2 parties that things cannot go on as they are.

I’m registered to vote in both my home constituency Blackburn, and my university address Bethnal Green & Bow. Of course I can only vote in one and I’ll be doing so in my uni constituency. Blackburn is one Labour’s safest seats in the country and Jack Straw who has been our MP since 1979 will stroll to another easy victory. In-spite of his flaws as a home, foreign and justice secretary over the years, he is an excellent local MP. Many people in Blackburn including me suffer the familiar plight of liking their local MP, but hating the party that they are a member of. In 2005 George Galloway and his Respect Unity-Coalition party stunned Labour to get voted into office in Bethnal Green & Bow. Their only policy/tactic was to capitalise on the ill-feeling of sizeable Muslim community towards Labour and the war in Iraq . The fat prick has spent more time over the past 5 years trying to further his media career than serving what is the poorest constituency in the country. Labour will easily win this time around, as the Lib Dems and the Tories are non-entities here.

I wish there was a ‘none of the above’ option on the ballot slips. That would easily get the most votes.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of electoral systems, I really like the two-tiered mixed member proportional representation that is used in Germany and New Zealand.

I haven't genuinely liked too many politicians over the years, but Robin Cook (RIP) was definately one of them. Who can forget his speech in 1996 following the Scott Report 'Arms to Iraq' publication when he tore Ian Lang and the Tories to shreds, or his resignation speech in 2003 over the Iraq war
Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Robin Cook was class.

Yeah first past the post system is quite dated. However the format of most seats is pretty good, it stops the cockney rentboys from having the main votes.

Wallasey, my consistuency, is easily going to be red again- the MP is a lesbian and her twin sister is also in the Commons.

Basically the whole of Merseyside is a Lab stronghold and the Tories never even get a look in.

Who's the candidate for BG & B? Is Oona King attempting to win her seat back? I hate Galloway and I hope he loses.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get more votes and still lose in this system, like Al Gore did in 2000 in the USA?

Bush- Gore
50,456,002 47.87% 50,999,897 48.38%
Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Banned!

Yeah, cause ours goes on seats. However last election Labour got 33% to the Conservatives' 30% but over 100 more seats!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
country flag l_mac
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC

l_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond reputel_mac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
(and as a medical student who will soon qualify that is something I feel very strongly about)
Wow, you're nearly finished

I can't believe David Cameron has a real chance of being our next Prime Minister. It makes me ill.
l_mac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Vamos SNP and Plaid Cymru.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
country flag LeChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

Who's the candidate for BG & B? Is Oona King attempting to win her seat back? I hate Galloway and I hope he loses.
Oona King stood down after the last election and tried to pursue a media career. She was a staunch supporter of the Iraq war, but then said that she had seen the error of her ways a couple of years later. However that didn't wash with many of the Muslim residents, who make-up two thirds of the population in this constituency. I did feel sorry for her after the last election, with her receiving anti-semitic abuse aimed at her Jewish mother, some racist abuse (she's black), and her car being pelted with eggs and her tyres being slashed.

Rushanara Ali who worked as an assistant to King for a few years will stand for Labour here. Thankfully Galloway announced 5 years ago that he would be standing down after one term, so Respect have another candidate. They have no chance of defending their seat this time. The Lib Dems should finish a very, very distant second to Labour. A member of the House of Commons taking part in Celebrity Big Brother was utterly disgraceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
Wow, you're nearly finished
I should graduate next January hopefully (it's a 4 and a half year course). How time has flown by.

Quote:
I can't believe David Cameron has a real chance of being our next Prime Minister. It makes me ill.
Tell me about it. He's a grade A tosser and an incompetent clown. To take a leaf out of the Mirkaland's politically grave book, him being elected as PM would truly be the day that the UK died.

Labour's manifesto launch last week was an unqualified disaster. I think it was in extremely bad taste they used a hospital as their venue (despite the fact that it hasn't officially opened yet). I suppose it was fitting in some way they issued their empty promises in an empty hospital ward, part of a service they have failed miserably to change for the better. It was hilarious that the girl that they chose to introduce their manifesto called for Brown to quit 2 years ago in her internet blog .

The Tories' 'Power to the people' manifesto reeks of abandonment and indecisiveness.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #14
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Not a bad quiz, though it only has the major 3 parties.

http://www.gotoquiz.com/which_uk_political_party_am_i

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
country flag rhinooooo

rhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond reputerhinooooo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
Speaking of electoral systems, I really like the two-tiered mixed member proportional representation that is used in Germany and New Zealand.

I haven't genuinely liked too many politicians over the years, but Robin Cook (RIP) was definately one of them. Who can forget his speech in 1996 following the Scott Report 'Arms to Iraq' publication when he tore Ian Lang and the Tories to shreds, or his resignation speech in 2003 over the Iraq war
In the late 70s, Robin Cook was a massive anti-arms activist. Before Labour were elected, he was criticising the Tories for selling fighter jets/weapons to Indonesia who'd use them to terrorise East Timor. Of course, as soon as Labour came into power, and he was Foreign Secretary, they approved over 60 arms contracts with Indonesia, who were still massacring the East Timorese.

I'm not going to say he wasn't a good guy. I'd like to think that his ideals were right, and there are many people who get into politics with the right intentions but unfortunately one individual is not going to make a difference to an institution that's built on lies and corruption.

The British public are too timid and stable politically to effect any change, we're just going to have the same electoral merry-go-round between two parties that are not really different from the other.
rhinooooo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote