How often will we see the French-Wimbledon double in coming years? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute
Default How often will we see the French-Wimbledon double in coming years?

Traditionally, winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon back to back has been one of the hardest achievements in tennis which is what made Bjorn Borg's run from 78-80 so remarkable. But it occured to me the other day that perhaps with the homogenisation of the surfaces we might see the feat more and more. Nadal is testimony to the fact that the champion at Roland Garros will inevitably have enormous confidence coming into Wimbledon making a title run more likely even if the player isn't that suited to grass as a surface. In 2006 he was really inexperienced when it comes to grass but he still managed to make the final of Wimbledon. Although this is obviously partly due to his skill and preference for the natural surfaces, I think a large part of the reason for his success was the proximity of his French Open victory. In fact were it not for the incredibe stranglehold Nadal and Federer kept on Roland Garros and Wimbledon respectively for the past few years either one of them could have potentially matched Borg's 3 consecutive back to back titles at both venues.

I think the last two years might well be indicative of the future. It has only been in the last decade as the surfaces have become more and more similar that back to back titles have become more easily achievable, relatively speaking, and I think that Federer and Nadal's respective domination of clay and grass has disguised what might become a growing trend. Obviously there are few players who can even win two grand slams let alone consecutively but I think that many of the multi-slam champions of the future who win Roland Garros will carry their momentum through and win Wimbledon as well.

What do you guys think? I'm probably just stating the obvious because everyone knows that the surfaces have been homogenised but I hadn't really considered the implications for Borg's record. It's a shame if his achievement becomes diluted because of the recent changes. I wouldn't be suprised if we see the double completed several times in the next decade. At least Federer and Nadal are tennis greats imagine if Djokovic or Murray (no offense to them, they are good players but not worthy of being compared to Borg yet) achieved this.

Last edited by Arakasi : 07-04-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
country flag DualMedia

DualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond reputeDualMedia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often will we see the French-Wimbledon double in coming years?

very little
DualMedia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Unless Federer or Nadal have another stellar summer, not until the next multi-surface 'legend' comes along, which probably won't be for a while. With the homogenization of the surfaces though I agree on paper it looks like it'll be less difficult.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
country flag M4RC

M4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond reputeM4RC has a reputation beyond repute

As you've said Nadal and Federer are tennis greats. They're legends and hall-of-famers. Back-to-back FO and Wimbly is one of the hardest achievements in tennis. We have seen two of those amazing runs consucutively because of the greatness of the players that achieved it, not becasue it is easy by any means. You won't see anyone ouside of those two players achieve it in atleast one or two decades.
M4RC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
country flag andy neyer
Banned!

andy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond repute

It will happen more often than in the past but, like the other guys said, it won't be very often.
andy neyer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Almost never. Fed might do it again, that's it. Maybe an outside shot to Muzzy

Matosevic, Dolgopolov, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Gonzalez, Thiem
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
country flag vn01

vn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond reputevn01 has a reputation beyond repute

Except for Federer and Nadal,maybe Nole in the next 3-4 years,but I don't believe it.I really hope Del Potro to win them both in a same year,but he is hopeless on grass,and Murray is hopeless on clay.So I say Nole,but the chance is very little
Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Not often.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think that it will happen with at least some frequency. Not only are the surfaces becoming more alike, but it also becoming far more common for players to do about equally well on all surfaces. Furthermore RG and Wimbledon are so close to each other in the calendar that the winner of RG will still be riding on a high going into Wimbledon. Infact, I don't think Rafa would have done even remotely as well at Wimbledon 2006, 2007 and 2008 if Wimbledon and RG had been played several months apart. Rafa is very dependent on his confidence and after clay seasons where he dominates everyone, he takes that confidence into Wimbledon.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
country flag Arakasi

Arakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond reputeArakasi has a reputation beyond repute

Third time in a row. How many more to come?
Arakasi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
country flag NadalSharapova

NadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond reputeNadalSharapova has a reputation beyond repute

it will be quite often as long nadal is around
NadalSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
country flag ys

ys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond reputeys has a reputation beyond repute

If Nadal is healthy, the only current player, I think, who can seriously threaten him at RG is Del Potro. All other guys who are good on the surface - Federer, Soderling, Berdych, Davydenko - worse than him, older than him, afraid of him. Of course, someone new might come around.
At Wimbledon, I think there is still a decent chance someone good and under-ranked player, serving big, catches him cold during the first week.
But , overall, if he is healthy, odds are, he'll do it again.
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
country flag Sapeod
77 years later...

Sapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond reputeSapeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalSharapova View Post
it will be quite often as long nadal is around
No we won't.

We will not see this RG/Wim double very much in the coming years.

SLAMS: 2 WINS, 5 finals, 7 semi-finals, 7 quarter-finals...
MASTERS: 9 WINS, 3 finals, 8 semi-finals, 18 quarter-finals...
WTF: 3 semi-finals...
OLYMPICS: 1 gold, 1 silver...
CAREER PRIZE MONEY: $33,359,256 (5th of all time)
MATCH WIN/LOSS: 481-151...
TITLES: 31 and counting...
Sapeod is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
country flag brent-o

brent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond reputebrent-o has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=BlueSwan;9787858]I actually think that it will happen with at least some frequency. Not only are the surfaces becoming more alike, but it also becoming far more common for players to do about equally well on all surfaces. Furthermore RG and Wimbledon are so close to each other in the calendar that the winner of RG will still be riding on a high going into Wimbledon. Infact, I don't think Rafa would have done even remotely as well at Wimbledon 2006, 2007 and 2008 if Wimbledon and RG had been played several months apart. Rafa is very dependent on his confidence and after clay seasons where he dominates everyone, he takes that confidence into Wimbledon.[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point. It makes me think back to 2008 when he went through a string of tournaments where he was so confidence that he literally looked unstoppable. Spacing out Wimbly and RO throughout the year probably would have made it more difficult for him.

Andre Agassi (always #1)---Novak Djokovic ---Rafa Nadal---
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga---Gilles Simon---Tomas Berdych---David Nalbandian---Nico Almagro
brent-o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #15
country flag Priam

Priam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond reputePriam has a reputation beyond repute

So is it still the most difficult double in tennis today?
Priam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote