Clay Courts are back! :D - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #31
country flag greenhopper

greenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clay Courts are back! :D

So Jo broke his string unfortunately at deuce serving at 1-2. Then kept thinking about it and everything is going South. He really needs to learn to shrug it off and move on. Loses the first set 6-1.

Stats:

Last edited by greenhopper : 04-15-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added match stats.
greenhopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Jo takes the second set. I just tuned in to see him play an amazing BH CC
oranges is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #33
country flag greenhopper

greenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond reputegreenhopper has a reputation beyond repute

Jo mixed up some good defense and served better when it mattered. Goes up an early break for 4-1 and takes the 2nd set 6-3.

Now please don't go on walkabouts in the 3rd.

Stats:

Last edited by greenhopper : 04-15-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added match stats.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
country flag greenhopper

OMG. That backhand down literally the line on match point and back to back to big serves to hold for 5-all? I'm dead. Too good, Jo.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #35
country flag oranges

oranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond reputeoranges has a reputation beyond repute

Lost, but he played good in the last two sets. Bodes well for the clay swing.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #36
country flag greenhopper

So we still can't trust Jo to hold serve when it comes to crunch situations in matches. But he raised his level for the most part of sets 2 and 3. Set 1 probably hurt him in the end.

Overall stats:

Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #37
country flag oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhopper View Post
So we still can't trust Jo to hold serve when it comes to crunch situations in matches.
I doubt any clay match is good indication of that and MC more so than say Madrid or RG. Look at the stats of a couple of matches and you'll see that many players win about equal on first and second serve, which is telling
Old 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #38
country flag greenhopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
I doubt any clay match is good indication of that and MC more so than say Madrid or RG. Look at the stats of a couple of matches and you'll see that many players win about equal on first and second serve, which is telling
I'm not talking about clay, but this has been a pattern with Jo. He serves well throughout a set and plays a loose game throws a double or sprays a couple of forehands out of nowhere when trying to hang in a set. The same thing happened at 4-5, but his shots landed in and he recovered. Jo's greatly improved his overall game. The backhand looks good, but he just loses it mentally when things get tight.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #39
country flag oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhopper View Post
I'm not talking about clay, but this has been a pattern with Jo. He serves well throughout a set and plays a loose game throws a double or sprays a couple of forehands out of nowhere when trying to hang in a set. The same thing happened at 4-5, but his shots landed in and he recovered. Jo's greatly improved his overall game. The backhand looks good, but he just loses it mentally when things get tight.
I don't think so. He has one of the best, if not the best, deciding TB records. It doesn't get tighter than that. To me, it's more the tendency to lose focus for a game or two, happens sometimes at 5:6 sometimes at the beginning, sometimes in the middle of the set

Either way, I'm happy how he played the last two sets. If he can play that well on slow MC, he can do even better in Madrid and RG
Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #40
country flag greenhopper

Sorry, didn't mean to nitpick.

I recall the match against Rafa in Paris last year which he lost 5-7 5-7 and the match against Murray in Canada (after beating Federer) where he couldn't hold on to the lead in the breaker. Then Guccione again last year and more recently was it against Benneteau?

This has only been a recent trend. I fondly remember the days when Jo would serve up his way out of 0-40 without any trouble.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #41
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

The first set yet again highlighted Jo's fragile mentality. Sure, that broken string was untimely, but he still has got to learn to move on, and fight tooth and nail to regain lost momentum.

Having said that, I was very pleased with his performances in the second and third sets. His shotmaking is breathtaking at times. He lacks the patience of natural clay grinders, but when you have the weapons that he has, particularly on the forehand, his game can be very effective. I applaud him for a fantastic overall performance, and for his gracious gesture to Ferrero at the end.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well he can adapt and progress in the warm-up tournaments for RG.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #42
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute

Jo had a bye the first round, he's playing Hajek 2nd round.
Tess Gray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #43
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Jo, 3rd round - Almagro again.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #44
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Good job, Jo. Stay focused against Alamagro.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #45
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Jo is simply the best! 2nd and 3rd sets were just awesome!!!