Article - Pete Sampras – An in Depth Look at His Game: Part 1 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #16
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article - Pete Sampras – An in Depth Look at His Game: Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
I want to add something to this. I think there are two aspects to the Sampras game that were more important to his success than anything else:

1) His amazing hold game, which means not just his serve, but his ability to hold serve. To never lose focus on his own serve, and one of the key reasons that he was able to do this is in the next point.

2) His attitude towards return games. Basically Sampras was so sure in his hold game, that he felt like he could afford to take mental breathers in the return games. I felt that his tactic was pretty much to focus his energy and take some fairly big risks on the first couple of return points. If things didn't go his way he would relax and more or less let the opponent hold. If things did go his way, he'd focus on trying to get the break. This especially happened early in sets. Later in sets he would focus more on breaking.
Spot on.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
country flag Forehander

Forehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond reputeForehander has a reputation beyond repute

Sampras did lose motivation towards later years I believe, but there is no doubt that his backhand degenerated too at the end of his career. He was reaching the late 20s and his foot work and speed was clearly slowing down (Federer is now also suffering the same fate but the guy has more weapons and effortless footwork to back it up). Given a good day, sure he can still pull off some good shots from the wing but compare to his early age there's absolutely no comparison.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
country flag laurie-1

laurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond reputelaurie-1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehander View Post
Sampras did lose motivation towards later years I believe, but there is no doubt that his backhand degenerated too at the end of his career. He was reaching the late 20s and his foot work and speed was clearly slowing down (Federer is now also suffering the same fate but the guy has more weapons and effortless footwork to back it up). Given a good day, sure he can still pull off some good shots from the wing but compare to his early age there's absolutely no comparison.
Federer is stll only 28 so has at least 2 years left at the top. Sampras at age 28 was actually at his peak. His 24 match winnning streak in summer 1999 saw him play some of his best Tennis of his career and his movement was superb. Then he injured his back before the US Open and that was the beginning of the end. In 2000 he still played some great stuff but only won 2 tornaments so he wasn't as consistent as before.

His real troubes bakhand wise came in 2001 when he was 29 going on 30 yeas of age. But when he was 27 and 28 his backhand and movement was still very good.

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie-1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
country flag Echoes

Echoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond reputeEchoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie-1 View Post
I can confirrm that Pete actually hit a forehand winner on matchpoint in Cincinnati
Damn ! But I'm sure he made some great bh returns in the very last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie-1 View Post
Now Echoes, I'm about to make you feel even more sick....you have to promise to watch the whole 8 minutes of this clip, ok?
Don't worry. I had already seen the clip.

The stop volley by Pete at 5.15 is really awesome !!

But I surely can't understand how Rich could lose this tb. I don't remember what his tb record was but I think it wasn't that great. Mostly at the end of his career, he almost lost them all.
Echoes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote