The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores) - Page 22 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #316
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores)

tomorrow will be announced Davis Cup team. In Aussie press wrote that the team will Tomic, Hewitt, Ebden and Guccione.

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #317
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausie View Post
tomorrow will be announced Davis Cup team. In Aussie press wrote that the team will Tomic, Hewitt, Ebden and Guccione.
Rafter picking Ebden over Matosevic? So he picks Ebden when Matosevic is in form and Matosevic when Ebden is in form. Makes sense.
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #318
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

I think not matter, anyway singles rubber will play Tomic and Hewitt, doubles Hewitt/Guccione.

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #319
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely but if one gets injured having Ebden over Matosevic as the backup is a little stupid, especially on clay. Bloody hell, I mgiht pick Guccione on clay over Ebden. Hopefully this means Marinko can go get refreshed and have a good asian swing but surely he must be scratching his head over this one. As you said it doesn't really matter but it's more about the principle of picking the best players for the team.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #320
country flag Chris.

Chris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond reputeChris. has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2012/0...vis-cup-team-2

Tomic, Hewitt, Ebden, Gooch and Duckworth.
Chris. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #321
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah and Guccione is getting some great results lately ?

Not sure in MMM is flavour of the month over at TA, he doesn't always toe the party line, so would not get picked on that basis.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #322
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
Yeah and Guccione is getting some great results lately ?
Gooch will play only doubles match with Hewitt.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #323
country flag Ausie

DAVIS Cup captain Pat Rafter has blasted another underperforming Australian tennis player while sparring Bernard Tomic the chop from his squad for next week's World Group playoff in Germany.

Tomic was named in the five-man team, but world No.63 Marinko Matosevic was dumped in another clear warning that Rafter will no longer tolerate sub-standard form or poor conduct.

Rafter ordered Tomic to "to pull his socks up" after branding the youngster's second-round US Open display against Andy Roddick as "disgraceful".

Tired of Tomic not putting in the hard yards, Rafter delivered the dual grand slam junior champion a Davis Cup ultimatum: shape up or ship out.

And after serving Tomic the riot act, Rafter followed up with the exiling of Matosevic until the Australian No.2 also lifts his game - and attitude.

"Marinko didn't deal with things too well in the last tie, so we'd prefer not to pick him for this one," Rafter told AAP.

"He just didn't handle the situation very well."

Apart from being unimpressed with the 27-year-old on court as he struggled to a three-set win over Korea's unranked Min-Hyeok Cho in Brisbane in April, Rafter is also understood to have clashed with Matosevic off court.

Matosevic was also dropped after losing to China's world No.206 Wing Du on debut in July last year.

As a result, he sat out Australia's Asia-Oceania qualifier against China in February and was believed to have been upset at Rafter for apparently recalling him for the April tie against Korea only when Hewitt was recovering from foot surgery.

The pair are then believed to have been involved in an angry exchange after Australia secured their World Group playoff against Germany with victory over the Koreans.

Rafter said Matosevic "just needs to reflect on how that tie unfolded and the situation he didn't deal with".

"And he's got to learn to be able to deal with those situations before he can play again in the team,'' he said.

Asked if he would get another chance, Rafter said: "I hope so. He's our No.2 player at the moment and he's potentially a very good player.

"He hasn't won a match in grand slams yet either, so he needs to learn to step up in the big matches."

From two sets up, Rafter rued Matosevic's inability to close out victory over world No.13 Marin Cilic in the first round of the US Open last week.

Rafter said the 71st-ranked Matt Ebden, who lost heavily in the second round to French 32nd seed Jeremy Chardy, was also still learning to compete with the game's elite.

"These (international) guys are world-class players and they're not there yet," Rafter said.

With world No.43 Tomic, Australia's only top-50 player, Rafter had no choice but to pick the 19-year-old alongside Hewitt, Ebden, rookie James Duckworth and doubles hopeful Chris Guccione to face Germany in Hamburg from September 14-16.

But the frustrated skipper is offering Tomic no guarantees and says even Duckworth "shouldn't be discounted" as a singles option alongside Hewitt.

"Ducky's just a good, hard-working kid with a great attitude," Rafter said. "I want him to be available to put himself out there to have a go."

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #324
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there something more to the Matosevic thing? Seems pretty ridiculous that Rafter and he can't get over an angry exchange. How is he meant to go and learn how to deal with those sort of those of situations if he isn't playing in the Davis Cup environment?
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #325
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf07 View Post
Is there something more to the Matosevic thing? Seems pretty ridiculous that Rafter and he can't get over an angry exchange. How is he meant to go and learn how to deal with those sort of those of situations if he isn't playing in the Davis Cup environment?
Mato lost Di Wu in 5 sets last year.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #326
country flag Ausie

GER name Florian Mayer, Benjamin Becker, Cedric Marcel Stebe, Phillip Petzschner.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #327
country flag Gallace..

Gallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond repute

That's good, no Phillip kohlschreiber
Nick Kyrgios
Gallace.. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #328
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf07 View Post
Who is the mature person here?
Seems like Rafter is the one who can't handle the heat and get on with the players in his team.
With MMM and Tomic on the outer and Ebden not up to standard, it looks like Pat may have t0 join the team to partner Hewitt.
Leave the rest of them out Pat if they are not up to standard.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #329
country flag aussie_fan

Pat is turning into a stubborn old man it seems, granted MM hasn't played very well in previous DC chances but you just have too look at form the last few months to see who should be picked, and especially the clay result, MM didn't play much on clay this year but had a QF in Munich while Ebden ddin't win a set in a bout 6 different matches ont he stuff. Would love to know the full story here.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #330
country flag aussie_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausie View Post
GER name Florian Mayer, Benjamin Becker, Cedric Marcel Stebe, Phillip Petzschner.
No Kohli, that's awesome, it's not impossible to believe Hewitt can win his singles amtches and doubles as well. Still pretty unlikely but I wouldn't put it the impossible category anymore.