The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores) - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #16
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores)

Quote:
Tomic snub as Hewitt returns
Laine Clark From: The Advertiser April 28, 2010 8:44am
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email
THE return of Lleyton Hewitt to the Australian Davis Cup team has coincided with the dumping of rising teenager Bernard Tomic.

But Australian captain John Fitzgerald said the pair's public spat had nothing to do with team selection for next week's Asia-Oceania second-round tie against Japan in Brisbane.

Tomic, 17, was a glaring omission when Fitzgerald yesterday named his four-man team for the crunch May 7-9 tie on a specially made clay court at Pat Rafter Arena.

After missing the last tie - a 5-0 sweep of Taiwan in Melbourne in March - Hewitt heads the team with Peter Luczak tipped to take up the No. 2 singles spot and teammates Carsten Ball and Paul Hanley contesting the doubles.

Unimpressed by what he thought was a Wimbledon practice court snub, Hewitt caused a stir in January when he deemed Tomic unworthy of Davis Cup selection. He claimed Luczak was more deserving of the second singles spot.

However, Fitzgerald said Tomic's lack of experience on clay was the reason behind his snub and not his past run-in with Hewitt.

Fitzgerald stressed that "all's good" between the pair.

"I hope one day that they can play in a Davis Cup team together," he said.

"But we've only got four players to pick and have to decide who gives us our best chance on clay now."

Asked about the spat that was reportedly only ended following mediation from tennis great Paul McNamee, Fitzgerald said: "Was it a concern? I don't know how to answer that.

"I think it is healthy that they are at a stage where they are now - it's all good."

Tomic made an impressive Davis Cup debut in Melbourne, winning both singles rubbers.

Fitzgerald said he considered Tomic "a big match player" despite his world No. 295 ranking but opted for No. 72 Luczak due to the surface in Brisbane.

"He (Tomic) was in the mix, though we agreed that it is a good time for him to learn his craft on clay in Europe," Fitzgerald said. "I think he (Tomic) is a big match player, but the surface is a major issue."

Despite Fitzgerald's reservations, Tomic won on clay in Italy, defeating Roberto Marcora in straight sets at a Futures event.

The arrival of Hewitt, 29, in Brisbane depends on how far he progresses in Rome - the world No. 32 was due to play ninth seed Mikhail Youzhny in the first round last night.

Meanwhile, Japan received a blow when hot prospect Kei Nishikori opted to focus on getting in shape for the French Open instead of playing in the tie as he eases his way back from injury.

The Japan squad includes Go Soeda, Yuichi Sugita, Tatsuma Ito and Takao Suzuki - whose world rankings are 184th, 200th, 256th and 315th respectively.

The winners of the tie will advance to the World Group playoffs in September.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
jmf07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #17
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

So many glaring mistakes in that article, like "despite Fitzgerald's reseverations, Tomic won on clay in Italy", woah, he won a futures match, lets give the guy a spot on the team when we have a guy who ahs won manyc hallengers on clay as in Luczak.

Great team for the tie was selected, and that's even better considering of the dumb week this tie is being played. I still just can't make sense of it, can't believe Lleyton hasn't complained about it at all.
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #18
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if channel 7 are going to show coverage? Judging on recent history I doubt it but you never know, they may make a good decision for a change.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #19
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt =Legend View Post
Does anyone know if channel 7 are going to show coverage? Judging on recent history I doubt it but you never know, they may make a good decision for a change.
No chance, hopefully there will be a livestream again
Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
country flag Matchu

Matchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond reputeMatchu has a reputation beyond repute

Channel 7 has a contract that stated they only show ties that are either in world group or world group playoffs, zonal ties never get shown on channel 7. Luckily tennis.com.au will be showing a live stream again so we will get to watch it for free.

I'm going to head up there and watch it hopefully next friday, I'd love to watch Lleyton playing Davis Cup before it's too late. The boys will get the job done though, Nishikori is not playing and Lleyton will really step it up and make sure we get through to the playoff. Would be pretty amazing if we got another home tie for the playoffs, guess Sydney is next for hosting rights.
Matchu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #21
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt drawn to play Tatsuma Ito in the first singles rubber tomorrow.

Aussies pull a surprise at the #DavisCup draw. Carsten Ball picked for no.2 singles rubber against Yuichi Sugita.

http://twitter.com/tennisaustralia
Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 AM   #22
country flag jmf07

jmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond reputejmf07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ball to play second rubber on clay ahead of Luczak. Must mean Ball is switched on this week. Luczak hasn't been in amazing form but he also hasn't been in horrible form.

Tennis Australia might also be confident of winning the tie and keen to give a guy experience like Tomic against Taiwan or Klein against Thailand but Ball already has DC experience.
Baker (USA) - Bedene (SLO) - Bellucci (BRA) - Berta (SWE) - Cuevas (URU) - Domijan (USA) - Ebden (AUS) - Estrella (DOM) - Grigelis (LTU) - Guccione (AUS) - Heliovaara (FIN) - Kavcic (SLO) - King (BAH) - Kontinen (FIN) - Kubler (AUS) - Lajovic (SRB) - Matosevic (AUS) - McGee (IRE) - Millman (AUS) - Mitchell (AUS) - Nielsen (DEN) - Nieminen (FIN) - Paire (FRA) - Udomchoke (THA)
Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #23
country flag aussie_fan

Ball over Luczak, you've got to be kidding me. Luczak must be carrying an injury of some sort.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #24
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's more from TA website:

Quote:
Ball takes second singles spot
Brisbane, 06 May 2010
AAP

Big-serving Carsten Ball has surprisingly been given a singles nod ahead of Peter Luczak for Australia's Davis Cup clash with Japan in Brisbane starting on Friday.

The seasoned Luczak, ranked more than 40 places higher than Ball at No.71, had been tipped to join Lleyton Hewitt as the singles players for the Asia-Oceania second round tie on clay at Pat Rafter Arena.

But Australian captain John Fitzgerald unveiled 22-year-old lefthander Ball as his second singles option in a move that clearly surprised the Japanese team.

While Luczak has reportedly been nursing a wrist injury, Fitzgerald said match-ups were the main reason behind his decision.

"We like the match-ups we have and it is time for Carsten to step up and go to the next level," Fitzgerald said.

"This is his first live singles rubber and we think he is ready.

"And Lleyton is leading off which always take more pressure off, but I think it is Carsten's time."

Fitzgerald said Luczak had a "niggle" a few days ago but would be ready to play the reverse singles on Sunday if needed.

The draw conducted on Thursday sees Hewitt begin the tie against Tatsuma Ito on Friday while Ball plays Yuichi Sugita.

Ball has also been chosen to partner Paul Hanley in the doubles against Takao Suzuki and Go Soeda on Saturday.

Davis Cup draw: Australia v Japan, Brisbane

Day 1

Rubber 1
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) v Tatsuma Ito (JAP)
Rubber 2
Carsten Ball (AUS) v Yuichi Sugita (JAP)

Day 2

Rubber 3
Paul Hanley/Carsten Ball (AUS) v Takao Suzuki/Go Soeda (JAP)

Day 3

Rubber 4
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) v Yuichi Sugita (JAP)
Rubber 5
Carsten Ball (AUS) v Tatsuma Ito (JAP)
http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News....se&newsid=7089
Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #25
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Heading up there tomorrow... Was looking forward to seeing Luczak for the first time in person, ah well. Not sure how Ball is on the red turf but apparently this clay is pretty fast and is suited perfectly for Lleyton.
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #26

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Pete might be annoyed that he has travelled all the way from Europe, bypassed Munich and now gets snubbed for Ball. Lets see how this plays out....

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #27
country flag Hewitt2010
Banned!

Hewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt has just beaten Ito in the first rubber. The score was 6-3 6-3 6-2, very good got 8 aces. Next up Ball against Sugita he should win in 3 or 4 sets.
Hewitt2010 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #28

Yeah as expected Rusty comes through in 3 comfortable sets, he did what he had to do. Now comes the interesting match with Ball and Sugita. Carsten should win this but you never know what form he will bring into the match. Let's go Carston and put us up 2-0!

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #29
country flag Hewitt2010
Banned!

Hewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt2010 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants to know there is live scoring at this website tournaments.tennis.com.au then go to the Davis Cup tournaments link.

Carsten score is currently 1-2 down first set.
Hewitt2010 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #30
country flag jmf07

Australia has been seeded so we will get one of the following matchups (of course squads could change from their last ties).

Austria – Melzer, Koellerer, Fischer, Knowle – Away
Belgium – O.Rochus, C.Rochus, Malisse, Darcis - Home
Brazil – Bellucci, Daniel, Melo, Soares – Home
Colombia – Falla, Giraldo, Salamanca, Cabal - Lot
Italy – Bolelli, Bracciali, Lorenzi, Starace - Home
Kazakhstan – Golubev, Kukushkin, Schukin, Yessenbekov - Lot
Romania – Hanescu, Tecau, Copil, Ungur - Away
South Africa – De Voest, Klaasen, Moodie, Van Der Merwe – Home

Probably be hoping for Kazakhstan, South Africa or Brazil. Brazil and Italy are good draws as Australia can play them on grass. Australia wouldn't mind drawing Belgium. Romania would be a difficult away draw with Hanescu capable of winning both ties and their doubles team isn’t too bad. Austria would be the one Australia will want to avoid although Colombia could turn into a horror draw if they get the homeground advantage which would most likely be played at very high altitude.