The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores) - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #271
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1226273148909

Brisbane firms as host for Davis Cup showdown against South Korea

BRISBANE has emerged as a strong contender to host Australia's Davis Cup quarter-final against South Korea in April.

And hardcourt, rather than grass, could be the preferred option for Pat Rafter's team.

Australia will face South Korea from April 6-8 in an Easter tie that follows two major ATP World Tour events - Indian Wells and Miami. With those tournaments on hardcourt - and likely to involve Bernard Tomic, Lleyton Hewitt and Matt Ebden - there is a growing push for Australia to stay on hardcourt for Davis Cup.

There is also the logistical consideration of re-assembling Rafter's squad in a leading Australia centre after the trek home from Florida.

It is understood Tennis Australia is weighing the claims of bids from rival states and towns.

Perth, Adelaide and Wodonga have been linked to the tie, along with Creswick, near Ballarat.

If, as expected, Australia defeats South Korea at Easter, it will earn the right to contest a World Group promotion/relegation match.

Its opponent in the September round will be one of the eight first-round World Group losers.

Of that group, Australia would be obliged to away ties against Switzerland, Germany, Sweden, Russia and Japan. It would face Italy or Canada in Australia.

A toss of the coin would decide the location of a Kazakhstan-Australia tie.

one world, one life, one love, only Lleyton Hewitt
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #272
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis Australia today announced that Pat Rafter Arena at the Queensland Tennis Centre in Brisbane would host the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Asia Oceania Zonal second round tie against Korea from 6-8 April 2012.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2012/0...ds-to-brisbane
Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #273
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenni...327-1vvm2.html

Tomic to lead Australian Davis Cup team

Teenager Bernard Tomic will spearhead Australia's Davis Cup team next week in Lleyton Hewitt's absence, with Matt Ebden likely to edge out Marinko Matosevic for the second singles berth.

Tomic has been in patchy form since his great Australian Open run in January when he reached the round of 16 before losing to Roger Federer.

But the 19-year-old world No.37 will carry big responsibility in the zonal second round tie against South Korea in Brisbane from April 6-8 as Australia bids for a play-off tie which could return it to the elite World Group in 2013.

Hewitt, the hero of so many Cup ties, is out of action until the Queens tournament in June, in the lea dup to Wimbledon, after recent surgery to fix the painful problem with his left big toe.
That means either world No.78 Ebden or No.122 Matosevic must step up as the second singles player after being named in coach Pat Rafter's five-man squad on Tuesday, along with likely doubles player Chris Guccione and 19-year-old Queensland rookie Ben Mitchell.

Rafter strongly hinted 24-year-old Ebden would get the singles job.

"Matt's achieved some of the best wins of his career in the past couple of weeks and this tie in Brisbane, where he's already enjoyed some success, is his chance to really step up and take responsibility as a key member of the team," said Rafter.

However Matosevic's practice form may have some say in that as he has also enjoyed some career-best form recently to reach his current best ranking.

Ebden downed accomplished players in Julien Benneteau and eighth seed Mardy Fish in reaching the Indian Wells Masters quarter-finals this month.

But Matosevic won seven straight matches from qualifying to reach the Delray Beach final and he also got through qualifying at both the Indian Wells Masters and Miami Masters.

"It was great to see Marinko go all the way through to the final in Delray Beach a couple of weeks ago," said Rafter.
"He's continuing to improve and has great potential."

Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #274
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt to take on Davis Cup mentoring role against South Korea

LAME or or not, there is no keeping Lleyton Hewitt away from a Davis Cup tie.

The injured Australian team stalwart will mentor an inexperienced outfit taking on South Korea in Brisbane next month.

Bernard Tomic and Matt Ebden will lead Australia in their Asia/Oceania Zone Group I second round tie from April 6-8.

Hewitt expects to be out of action until June with a foot problem but Australia's head of professional tennis Todd Woodbridge said Hewitt was itching to play a role in Brisbane, even if only from the sidelines.

"Lleyton is desperate to be around the tennis," Woodbridge said. "He wants to get to Wimbledon and the Olympics and the next Davis Cup tie.

"They're his key goals for the rest of this season, so he's going to be around to support the team.

"It's great that he is so dedicated to the task of representing Australia and that really highlights to the younger generation what it means."

The hosts are favourites to advance to the playoffs in September, when they will aim to return to the elite 16-team World Group for the first time since 2007.

Marinko Matosevic was rewarded with a place in the team after improving his ranking 81 places to No.122 since the start of the year and reaching his maiden ATP Tour final at Delray Beach this month.

Chris Guccione will be the team's elder statesman in his 13th tie, while Tomic's fellow 19-year-old Queenslander Ben Mitchell is also in the squad.

Matosevic lost his only Davis Cup match, a five-setter during Australia's 3-1 win against China last July.

"He has probably got a point to prove, not to us so much, but to himself," Woodbridge said.

"Davis Cup is mentally as difficult as anything you do because there's highlighted pressure on you. You're representing a team and the country.

"For him it's a great opportunity to get out and get rid of that first loss and prove to himself that he now belongs in the top 100 of the world."

Woodbridge also was confident there was no rift between Tomic and father John despite a bizarre altercation between the two during the Gold Coast teenager's loss to David Ferrer in Miami.

Tomic asked for his father to be removed from the crowd, saying "he's annoying me".

Woodbridge said: "We don't know all of what goes on. Once you've been on the road three, four, five weeks in a row, everybody gets a bit tired and that's what all of that looked like.

"I wouldn't call it absolutely normal but I don't perceive there to be any problems in their camp."

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #275
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

R-E-T-I-R-E-!

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #276
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
R-E-T-I-R-E-!
Only after you.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #277
country flag ogre

ogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond reputeogre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausie View Post
Lleyton Hewitt to take on Davis Cup mentoring role against South Korea

LAME or or not, there is no keeping Lleyton Hewitt away from a Davis Cup tie.
When you get described as 'lame' it must make you think about retiring.
ogre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #278
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
When you get described as 'lame' it must make you think about retiring.
he is recovering after surgery and return to training only in May.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #279
country flag Ausie

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...331-1w4vz.html

Tomic dispute not a distraction: Rafter

The latest Bernard Tomic controversy appeared to be the last thing on Patrick Rafter's mind ahead of Australia's Davis Cup playoff with South Korea in Brisbane.

The Australian captain is sweating on the fitness of the big-serving Chris Guccione (foot) ahead of the Asia/Oceania Zone Group I second-round tie starting on Friday.

Then there's the dilemma of choosing between fast improvers Matt Ebden and Marinko Matosevic for his second singles berth behind world No.37 Tomic.

Advertisement: Story continues below
But Rafter said he would not waste time worrying about Tomic's "head space" until the lanky 19-year-old arrived in Brisbane early next week.

Tomic appeared to have a very public fallout with his father - and coach - John at last week's Miami Masters.

During the teenager's loss to David Ferrer he asked the chair umpire to have his father removed from the courtside seating because he was "annoying" him.

"Is it a distraction? I guess only time will tell but I don't think so," Rafter said of the Tomic incident.

"Bernie is not here yet so I don't know where his head space is right now.

"Until he shows up and we have a good chat (I won't know), but I am predicting there won't be."

Rafter had more pressing matters to tackle.

Likely doubles player Guccione was a notable absentee at team practice on Pat Rafter Arena on Saturday after suffering a toe injury.

Rafter said Guccione's availability should be determined by Sunday.

He also faces a welcome headache - picking his No.2 singles player.

World No.78 Ebden and No.122 Matosevic will keep Rafter honest thanks to recent form.

Ebden downed accomplished players in Julien Benneteau and eighth seed Mardy Fish in reaching the Indian Wells Masters quarter-finals this month.

But Matosevic won seven straight matches from qualifying to reach the Delray Beach final and he also got through qualifying at the Indian Wells Masters this month.

"On ranking, Matt is probably the player but I like having three solid singles players in form (fighting for spots at training)," Rafter said.

A singles spot is open for Australia after Lleyton Hewitt underwent toe surgery, ensuring he will be out of action until the lead-up to Wimbledon in June.

But he has been making his presence felt at practice in Brisbane, offering advice garnered from 32 Cup ties - equal to Todd Woodbridge's record for most by an Australian.

"He is trying to get this one knocked off as No.33 so he can have the record," Rafter laughed.

"We are trying to build up team unity at the moment, and for him to come along at this time is special for us."

World No.31 South Korea last played 18th-ranked Australia in 1972 - and lost 5-0.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #280
country flag Asadinator

Asadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond repute

South Korea should be easy...
Asadinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #281
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asadinator View Post
South Korea should be easy...
Probably. KOREAN SQUAD: Jeong, Na, Seol, Cho

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #282
country flag Ausie

Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #283
country flag Ausie

Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #284
country flag Ausie

live streaming this event tomorrow on http://tennis.com.au Play starts at 1pm Aussie time.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #285
country flag Ausie

Beatiful pictures