The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores) - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #241
country flag Asadinator

Asadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond reputeAsadinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores)

I laughed at Rafter saying Tomic in doubles too But tbh Tomic was better than Ebden when they played together last year.
Asadinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #242
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226265163807

We can give Davis Cup shake, says Lleyton Hewitt

AUSTRALIA'S greatest Davis Cup player Lleyton Hewitt yesterday declared the nation boasted the stocks to again challenge for the sport's most prestigious team event.

But the issue remains that while Bernard Tomic and Hewitt form a formidable singles combination, particularly on grass, and Chris Guccione a more-than-handy doubles partner for the latter, Australia must win its way from the Davis Cup depths to challenge in coming years.

It is eight years since Hewitt, who will join Todd Woodbridge as Australia's longest-serving player when he competes in his 32nd tie against China in the provincial setting of Geelong next weekend, helped the nation to its last Davis Cup by beating Spain in Melbourne on grass.

While the last time Australia was actually in a position to challenge for the cup was in 2007, both Hewitt and Australia captain Pat Rafter are confident that will change in the next 12 to 24 months.

"There is no doubt in my mind that the last three, four or five years, we have really belonged in the World Group," Hewitt said.

"The playoff matches that we have had to get back into the World Group have been brutal and that was the telling factor.

"Obviously with the team we have and getting a few home ties, I think we could do some damage in the World Group. We have just got to get back in it."

Rafter, who missed Australia's Davis Cup triumph in 1999 through injury and was retired by 2003, said the squad had shown when it pushed the Roger Federer-led Switzerland in Sydney at their most recent outing just how competitive it is.

"They were so close against Switzerland. They brought their best team out and the boys did great and I think Switzerland will be the team to beat this year, especially if Roger plays every tie. So the guys aren't far off," Rafter said.

"We are taking this very seriously. This year is about trying to get back into the World Group and then seeing how they go. I think this is a fantastic team. It is getting better and better."

That Australia is an improved squad this year is mirrored by the likely non-selection of Matt Ebden for a live rubber. The West Australian reached the quarter-finals of a Masters Series event in Shanghai last October, an effort that in recent years would almost have assured him of the reverse singles spot, given he is the nation's second-ranked player.

Yet the efforts of Tomic and Hewitt in reaching the second week of the Australian Open ensure that duo will line up against a likely Chinese pairing of Zhang Ze and Wu Di in the singles on Friday.

"Lleyton will play singles," Rafter said.

"Matty's ready. He's ready to rock'n'roll . . . but Lleyton's ranking is no reflection of how he's hitting the ball. To me, he's back in the top 20 in terms of how he's hitting the ball. He's our player."

While this weekend marks the first step in a process Australia hopes will end in a place in the World Group next year, it is another important step on the comeback trail for Hewitt, 31.

He has the most wins (47) and most singles victories (37) for Australia but struggled in the past two seasons to play matches and tournaments on a regular basis due to injuries -- before reaching the fourth round in Melbourne.

"My record on grass, going from the French Open into Queen's and Halle in the past has been exceptional, so I feel like I'm moving and hitting the ball really well."

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #243
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #244
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #245
country flag Ausie

Pat Rafter

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #246
country flag Ausie

DAY 1 - Friday: AUS v CHN from 11 a.m.
1st Rubber: HEWITT v ZHANG
2nd Rubber: TOMIC v WU

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #247
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #248
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #249
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #250
country flag Ausie

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #251
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like typical Victorian weather, great for the beach... not
RustyOz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #252
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt leads by a set and a break in the first rubber against Zhang. 6-2 2-0
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #253
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Tomic gets a break in the third game to lead 2-1 in the first set.

Hewitt won 6-2 6-1 7-6 (4) to put Aus 1-0 up.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #254
country flag Gallace..

Gallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond repute

Go Aussies good job hewitt
Gallace.. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #255
country flag Gallace..

Gallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond reputeGallace.. has a reputation beyond repute

Score update?
Gallace.. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote