<< Wimbledon >> Grass Court Season 2010 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute
Default << Wimbledon >> Grass Court Season 2010

Hard and clay suck so we're hoping for a bigger and better things here on the green stuff

This week Paulo is back on court in Liverpool for an exhibition tournament. I believe he chose to play here because he wanted to watch World Cup... Wouldn't be professional to play an ATP level tourney with his mind elsewhere [OK. He is just in desperate in of match-play ]

Serve and volley away, Paulo!

Last edited by Ome : 06-19-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Ome is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: <<Liverpool International>> Grass Court Season 2010

Quote:
Early wins for Mathieu and Massu

Play is now under way on Court One as we wait the arrival of Martina Hingis. Two matches have been completed so far with Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu in fine form on his return to grass, registering a 6-1 6-2 victory over young British hopeful Luke Bambridge.

‘PHM’ has had a difficult season with injuries so far but looked in top condition at Calderstones Park this afternoon: “I need to get some fitness and play more matches on the grass if I’m able to compete well at Wimbledon” he said.

Meanwhile Nottingham’s Luke Bambridge remained positive despite his defeat: “He’s a good player, it’s hard to hold serve because he’s got such a good return. Today was a good opportunity to work on my game and get some practice in. But I’ve got loads of school work to do now before Wimbledon!” he said.

In the second match, Chilean Nicolas Massu was the star attraction up against 17-year-old American Denis Kudla. ‘Vampiro’, as Massu is known, started well and took the first set 6-4 showing the skills that won him two Olympic Gold medals back in 2004.

Kudla, who played in Junior Wimbledon last year, struggled to adjust to the grass and was broken again in the second set as Massu ran out the winner, 6-4 6-3.

“It was hard because I’m playing on grass for the first time here this year. He (Massu) is a great player and he came out on top but this is a great preparation for Wimbledon for me.” said Kulda.

Meanwhile on Court One this afternoon, Eugenie Bouchard of Canada beat Chloe Murphy of Great Britain 8-0 in a girl’s first to eight pro set.

Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) beat Luke Bambridge (GBR) 6-1 6-2
Source: http://www.liverpooltennis.co.uk//ne...andmassu.phuse
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
country flag grosjeanlol

grosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
One of my friend was in Liverpool and saw Paulo. As there was nothing to do in the player space, he was on a chair under the sun to have a nice face
She will send me pics from his match...
grosjeanlol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Is this thread for everything grass season?

Anyhow, here's his section of the Wimby Draw:

[6] Robin Soderling (SWE) - Robby Ginepri (USA)
Frederico Gil (POR) - Marcel Granollers (ESP)
[LL] Go Soeda (JPN) - [q] Martin Fischer (AUT)
Ricardo Mello (BRA) - [25] Thomaz Bellucci (BRA)

[24] Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) - Lukas Lacko (SVK)
Jeremy Chardy (FRA) - Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP)
Simon Greul (GER) - Florent Serra (FRA)
[WC] Nicolas Kiefer (GER) - [9] David Ferrer (ESP)

[13] Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) - Dudi Sela (ISR)
Marc Gicquel (FRA) - Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
Thiemo de Bakker (NED) - Santiago Giraldo (COL)
[q] Nicolas Mahut (FRA) - [23] John Isner (USA)

[27] Ernests Gulbis (LAT) - Stephane Robert (FRA)
Blaz Kavcic (SLO) - Lukasz Kubot (POL)
Robin Haase (NED) - James Blake (USA)
[WC] Kei Nishikori (JPN) - [2] Rafael Nadal (ESP)

I like Marc but I have to cheer for Paulo. Allez.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
country flag Ome

Good start on grass

Quote:
Mathieu is our Men's Champion for 2010

Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu is the 2010 Men’s Champion at the Tradition-ICAP Liverpool International Tennis Tournament.

The former world number 12 beat Chilean Nicolas Massu 6-3, 6-2, in another impressive display on Centre Court.

Both men qualified for today’s final having remained undefeated in singles matches throughout the tournament. However it was Mathieu who was the favourite, with Massu playing on grass for the first time in three years this week.

The first set was an even contest early on, as both players held serve with a powerful display from the baseline. But it was the class of Mathieu that shone through, breaking in the eighth game to take a 5-3 lead and serve out for the first set.

The Frenchman’s variety and movement on the grass was the undoing of Massu, as the Chilean struggled to adapt to the unfamiliar surface.

Mathieu continue to dominate on serve, winning cheap points and preventing his opponent from developing any rhythm in the rallies. He threatened to break in the third game of the second set, but Massu held on, determined to maintain an unbeaten head-to-head record against the Frenchman.

The 28-year-old wasn’t to be denied though, as he continued to press and broke Massu twice more to serve for the match at 5-2. A hold to love was to come, as Mathieu won 6-3, 6-2, to become the Men’s Champion for 2010.

“I think we had a great match today, I think we played some good points so I’m really happy.” said Mathieu.

“The event is great. I didn’t see much of the city as it’s my first time in Liverpool, but maybe I’ll come back to see the nightlife for a few days!”

Meanwhile Massu admitted that he struggled to adapt to the grass: “Mathieu played really well, I think the last time I played on a grass court was in 2007, I like it but I need to practice more to know how to play here.”

“I want to say thank you, it’s my first time here, this exhibition had a lot of people here, the crowd today was full, we had a good time and hopefully I can come back. I like to play in England so see you soon!”

So here are all the results from Liverpool:

Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) beat Luke Bambridge (GBR) 6-1 6-2
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) beat Andre Sa (BRA) 7-6 (4), 6-2
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) beat Frederik Sletting-Johnsen (NOR) 7-6 (5), 1-6
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) beat Nicolas Massu (CHI) 6-3, 6-2
Old 06-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
country flag Ome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I like Marc but I have to cheer for Paulo. Allez.
I like Marco, too!

But I really want to see Paulo vs Misha!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
country flag The Hooded Claw
Slow Emotion Replay.

The Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: << Wimbledon >> Grass Court Season 2010

Well done Paulo

I can't believe I didn't get to see him win a title (well an exhibition, but whatever) in my HOME CITY

Hopefully he will play there again next year.
The Hooded Claw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Well done today . Got a win under the belt.

next playing Misha

Allez Paulo.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
country flag Ome

Paulo

Now go get Misha, Paulo!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Slow Emotion Replay.

The Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond reputeThe Hooded Claw has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Paulo. Youzhny will be tough for him as always, but he did lose to Kiefer, who has barely played all year at Halle, so there is a chance.

Thank God I'm neutral about Mahut and Isner, it's 36-35 now
Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
country flag grosjeanlol

grosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond reputegrosjeanlol has a reputation beyond repute

53-53 !! Allez Nico !!
grosjeanlol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Slow Emotion Replay.

Somebody stop the MADNESS

Thank God it's not Paulo out there , I think most posters to this forum would be dead of nerves by now.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
country flag Ome

Paulo-Misha match disappeared from tomorrow's schedule of play I wonder what happens!

It's amazing how stronge Nico is physically and mentally. Especially, mentally
BTW, I Isner bores me. His body language is irritating
Old 06-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ome View Post
Paulo-Misha match disappeared from tomorrow's schedule of play I wonder what happens!
I just saw that, but I heard nothing about a retirement.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
Slow Emotion Replay.

Hopefully the match disappearing off-schedule doesn't mean bad news

No one deserved to lose the Isner/Nico match. That's a cliche but it really is true for this one. and to both.

Isner could barely stand up by the time play was called off last night, I doubt positive body language was the first thing on his mind