Massvie 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Chile - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #61
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Massvie 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Chile

My thoughts go out to all those affected. Truly saddening.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #62
country flag ChinoRios4Ever

ChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
6th strongest earthquake ever recorded.

i was checking the geographical coordinates with the 9.5 earthquake of 1960 and it's not far away from where it happened.

it's not a surprise. we were expecting an almost 9.0 or higher earthquake in this area. 50 years is enough to accumulate enough stress in the upper crust especially with the fast eastward moving nazca plate.
1960: Valdivia 9.5 - biggest earthquake in the history of the planet Earth.

1985: San Antonio 8.0 - destroyed all the central coast and mid Santiago

2010: Concepción 9.0 - 2nd strongest earthquake in chilean history, i mean 5th overall. Tsumanis destroyed all the central-south coast cities in almost 500-600 kms.

It happens every 25 years here. Chillán 1939 was very powerful too, also we had one in 1997 near Coquimbo 7.7 (the city of DC tie next weekend) and in 2005 at Taracapá (almost in the border with Perú and Bolivia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre♥ View Post
A 8.8 earthquake is not something to cause 17 deaths. It's something to cause 17 thousand deaths.

My heart goes to Chile for this disaster.
Man, we have 700+ dead people till now, many to count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre♥ View Post
Reports say that the epicenter was in Concepcion, which happens to be the 2nd biggest city of Chile.
Yep, Concepción is almost 700.000 people and is the 2nd biggest city of the country (Santiago 1st by far, then Concepción 2nd, Viña-Valparaiso 3rd and Antofagasta 4th). The city is 90% down, the epicenter there was more of 9.0, but the government doesn't want to create more chaos in the people.

TT Rankings: #62 (S) & #92 (D).
Results Singles: W Auckland 09, Washington 09, Acapulco 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 10 & Fürth CH 08, F Bucharest 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 11 & Bucaramanga CH 09.
Results Doubles: W Bogota CH 08 (w/ClaudiuS), F Acapulco 09 (w/lucho_coria), Bucaramanga CH 09 (w/Gallina), ROLAND GARROS 09, Los Angeles 09 (w/juakos17) & Sunrise CH 10 (w/hallso).
ChinoRios4Ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #63
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are with all the Chileans. The more time passes, the clearer the devestation is. That was some earthquake.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #64
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond reputeExperimentee has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible news, all my sympathy to the Chileans, and hopefully all the MTF posters and their families are fine.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #65
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimentee View Post
Terrible news, all my sympathy to the Chileans, and hopefully all the MTF posters and their families are fine.
Ditto.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #66
country flag Chileno

Chileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond reputeChileno has a reputation beyond repute

Its terrible to be away from home in this time of need...I know it may sound stupid but a part of me wants to be in Conce trying to help out...I'm originally from Conce and I can't make contact from the outside. A cousin told me all my relatives were fine, houses are ok and only suffered minor problems (broken glasses and such). I'm still waiting to hear about my friends though...the wait is horrible. I just visited all of them a month ago! And I remember I even joked about a tremor we felt when we were there...about 5.0. We knew the 'big one' was due...but no matter how you prepare for it mentally...it is still too much.

Concepcion will recover though, we built stuff to last as we have a history in Earthquakes...alongside Japan and San Francisco we probably have the toughest building regulations in the world...still...and 8.8 is an 8.8 and some of the older buildings in poorer districts have fallen. I know only of one new building that has fallen, only 60% was occupied thankfully. The Chemistry Faculty of the Uni is up in flames...again I hope no one was working at 3AM there...I know of an old government building that fell, thankfully no one was there at the time.

The guys that really took a beating were the folks in the port of Talcahuano...they got the Earthquake AND a Tsunami. Also the guys that suffered the most were the poor fishing communities in our region. I'm guessing most of them managed to flee, but I am sure they lost EVERYTHING to the Tsunami.
Chileno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #67
country flag ClaudiuS

ClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond reputeClaudiuS has a reputation beyond repute

For the guys who were worried...I'm okay

The earthquake felt quite strong to me...almost 3 mins of quake (with nearly 2 mins of +8.0 magnitude shakings) Luckily I didn't get out of bed, or all the bookshelves would have fell on me..the car moved back almost 1 mt because they saw it jumping, all the glasses break, at the morning, my street had a lot of rubbles around, specially because there were lots of old constructions around. I have pics of all that, I'll upload them as soon as the power around my area gets back.

My thoughts to all the people at the Maule and Bio-Bio areas. I heard entire coast towns were just swallowed by the sea, hotels, disco-clubs, hospitals, everything.
ClaudiuS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #68
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to know you're OK, Claudio!
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #69
country flag Eden
Team Rogerin :-)

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileno View Post
Its terrible to be away from home in this time of need...I know it may sound stupid but a part of me wants to be in Conce trying to help out...I'm originally from Conce and I can't make contact from the outside. A cousin told me all my relatives were fine, houses are ok and only suffered minor problems (broken glasses and such). I'm still waiting to hear about my friends though...the wait is horrible.
I hope you will get good news from your friends soon. I don't think it sounds stupid at all that you want to be in your homecountry in this situation.

It's really a tragedy what happened. May every Chilean poster from MTF and their loves ones be safe.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #70

ChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond reputeChinoRios4Ever has a reputation beyond repute

Claudio menos mal wn!

Results Singles: W Auckland 09, Washington 09, Acapulco 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 10 & Fürth CH 08, F Bucharest 10, 's-Hertogenbosch 11 & Bucaramanga CH 09.
Results Doubles: W Bogota CH 08 (w/ClaudiuS), F Acapulco 09 (w/lucho_coria), Bucaramanga CH 09 (w/Gallina), ROLAND GARROS 09, Los Angeles 09 (w/juakos17) & Sunrise CH 10 (w/hallso).
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #71
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

serious shit is going down in concepción... most people don't have water and fuel, lootings to shops, malls, supermarkets are happening, a curfew was established, the military was called in to prevent massive lootings, a man was shot dead by the military.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #72
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
serious shit is going down in concepción... most people don't have water and fuel, lootings to shops, malls, supermarkets are happening, a curfew was established, the military was called in to prevent massive lootings, a man was shot dead by the military.
i heard over 200 prisoners were escaping after the walls of the prison collapsed
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
i heard over 200 prisoners were escaping after the walls of the prison collapsed
was 290 in Chillán, near on Concepción... i heard that 60 were captured

Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #74
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

Earthquakes can involve shifting hundreds of kilometers of rock by several meters, changing the distribution of mass on the planet. This affects the Earth’s rotation, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

The changes can be modeled, though they’re difficult to physically detect given their small size, Gross said. Some changes may be more obvious, and islands may have shifted, according to Andreas Rietbrock, a professor of Earth Sciences at the U.K.’s Liverpool University who has studied the area impacted, though not since the latest temblor.

Santa Maria Island off the coast near Concepcion, Chile’s second-largest city, may have been raised 2 meters (6 feet) as a result of the latest quake, Rietbrock said today in a telephone interview. He said the rocks there show evidence pointing to past earthquakes shifting the island upward in the past.

‘Ice-Skater Effect’

“It’s what we call the ice-skater effect,” David Kerridge, head of Earth hazards and systems at the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, said today in a telephone interview. “As the ice skater puts when she’s going around in a circle, and she pulls her arms in, she gets faster and faster. It’s the same idea with the Earth going around if you change the distribution of mass, the rotation rate changes.”

Rietbrock said he hasn’t been able to get in touch with seismologists in Concepcion to discuss the quake, which registered 8.8 on the Richter scale (Bilbo: it's not the Richter scale).

“What definitely the earthquake has done is made the Earth ring like a bell,” Rietbrock said.

The magnitude 9.1 Sumatran in 2004 that generated an Indian Ocean tsunami shortened the day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted the axis by about 2.3 milliarcseconds, Gross said.

The changes happen on the day and then carry on “forever,” Benjamin Fong Chao, dean of Earth Sciences of the National Central University in Taiwan, said in an e-mail.

“This small contribution is buried in larger changes due to other causes, such as atmospheric mass moving around on Earth,” Chao said.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...tist-says.html

Further read: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ake/index.html
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #75
country flag +alonso

+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute+alonso has a reputation beyond repute

Estoy bien! Hoy llegué a Santiago. Mi casa resistió super bien y solo tenemos problemas en las panderetas que estan en el suelo! La casucha del gas está en el suelo y el patio techado está bien desmoronado.
Todo bien con mi familia, la verdad es que el problema mas grande que pasamos fué el tema de los saqueos que estaban briiigidos, escuchaba balazos (balacera enorme) a 2 cuadras de la casa... 30 weones en un camión saqueando las casas sin importar si estaban habitadas o no!! Con mis vecinos armamos una pseudo milicia pa' resguardar el pasaje. Por suerte anoche corrió el toque de queda y se calmó la cosa.. Ahora arrancamos no mas.

Gracias por la preocupación