•°o*Ye Olde Castle vol.27 - Page 12 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #166
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: •°o*Ye Olde Castle vol.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
No reason not to like I just posted here myself that he has changed it since 2007/8. But to my mind (as a fan), his main problem isn't to do with stamina or posture or action, but purely mental He's just terrified of failure, and that is making him tentative, nervous, hesitant on his serve (especially the second one which leads to his enormous amount of DFs recently). Just watch how many times he loses serve when trying to serve out a set or match - it's scarily high and has been for over a year now. He is so tight all the time on court - isn't enjoying his tennis at all any more.
The mental side has always been vital in the game, but often the technically better serves hold together better under pressure. The near perfect service actions of Serena Williams and Pete Sampras have always fared better under pressure than their competitors. Sampras in his autobiography makes comments about kinks/flaws in the service actions of his rivals which break down under pressure. To him the best service action of players who played against him was Stich.
DrJules is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #167
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
The mental side has always been vital in the game, but often the technically better serves hold together better under pressure. The near perfect service actions of Serena Williams and Pete Sampras have always fared better under pressure than their competitors. Sampras in his autobiography makes comments about kinks/flaws in the service actions of his rivals which break down under pressure. To him the best service action of players who played against him was Stich.
Well obviously from a psychological point of view, if you have a lot of confidence in your serve then you're going to be calmer in tense moments - suppose that makes sense. Sometimes I fear Nole will turn into a Coria, who had the "yips" so badly on his serve that he had to retire so early on in his career. He tried everything in terms of Sports Psychologists etc, but his nerves were so bad that nothing worked.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
*Ljubica* is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #168
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

He may be struggling mentally as well, but the serve issue is technique. I found this footage from 2006. Go to one of his serves and keep pulling back and watching it over and over. You can see that back then he used the more classic "back scratching" motion for his service motion.
Now, at the back of his motion he straightens his arm and opens the face of the racquet. When/if most people make a change like this it's due to an injury or something. It has just created a kink in his motion that affects his ability for smooth powerful stroke.
But to me, what he's doing now is more harmful to a shoulder than the classic technique.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #169
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

MacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond reputeMacTheKnife has a reputation beyond repute

At 7:08 in the above video is the perfect place to see his old motion.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #170
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute*Ljubica* has a reputation beyond repute

He surely was having shoulder problems last year - his shoulder was always taped before a match, and still is today as far as I'm aware. Thanks for the clip Glen.

Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more
Old 02-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #171
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

^^That would do it, just like Sharapova. When you have shoulder issues, sometimes adjustments are needed. BUT, imo, he'd be better to switch to a motion similar to Roddick and/or Sharapova has done where they use the abbreviated take back, and still drop into the classic back scratch position, rather than what he's doing now.
Opening that racquet face, and straightening that arm out are about the worst thing you can do for shoulder problems.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #172
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheKnife View Post
^^That would do it, just like Sharapova. When you have shoulder issues, sometimes adjustments are needed. BUT, imo, he'd be better to switch to a motion similar to Roddick and/or Sharapova has done where they use the abbreviated take back, and still drop into the classic back scratch position, rather than what he's doing now.
Opening that racquet face, and straightening that arm out are about the worst thing you can do for shoulder problems.
I admit I am not as much into the "technicalities" of the game as yourself, but I see what you mean. And would you mind very much if I posted your youtube clip and comments onto Novak's Forum here? I'm sure many there would be interested to read your views and don't generally come here. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #173
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
I admit I am not as much into the "technicalities" of the game as yourself, but I see what you mean. And would you mind very much if I posted your youtube clip and comments onto Novak's Forum here? I'm sure many there would be interested to read your views and don't generally come here. Thanks.
Not at all, go ahead. I just wish we could talk about it in person. It's a lot easier to discuss and explain verbally than it is to try to write it down.. Demonstration is much easier..
Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #174
country flag MacTheKnife
10S NE1

Oh well, play suspended for the day..
Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #175
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Not at all, go ahead. I just wish we could talk about it in person. It's a lot easier to discuss and explain verbally than it is to try to write it down.. Demonstration is much easier..
Thanks And yes - I agree.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #176
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He may be struggling mentally as well, but the serve issue is technique. I found this footage from 2006. Go to one of his serves and keep pulling back and watching it over and over. You can see that back then he used the more classic "back scratching" motion for his service motion.
Now, at the back of his motion he straightens his arm and opens the face of the racquet. When/if most people make a change like this it's due to an injury or something. It has just created a kink in his motion that affects his ability for smooth powerful stroke.
But to me, what he's doing now is more harmful to a shoulder than the classic technique.

Which players over the years you have seen had the best service actions.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #177
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: •°o*Ye Olde Castle vol.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Which players over the years you have seen had the best service actions.
same question for you Doc

gosh, it's about 28şC out there and I was hitting some targets, had to move indoors but still too hot

Last edited by Arkulari : 02-27-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Arkulari is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #178
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

hi friend nat

heard you are from bilb(a)o
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #179
country flag *Ljubica*
Occasional Visitor

Dubai final postponed until tomorrow now - starts at 11.00am CET.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #180
country flag DrJules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
same question for you Doc
Pete Sampras, Michael Stich and Roger Federer where in my view the best service actions on the men's tour in the last 25 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABB0s2cT75g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zeXpaY18U

Last edited by DrJules : 02-27-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Closed Thread