Richie In The States- 2 Masters 1000. - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #136
country flag Getta

Getta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond reputeGetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richie In The States- 2 Masters 1000. Indian Wells (11-03-2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
a challenger isnt going to help because i dont think he will win there either.
besides a guy that was in the top ten three years ago?
what is MAYBE winning a few games there going to do for gasquet? nothing.

btw- i am not giving up on him just have real strong doubts
why so?

Baghdatis, also a guy that was in the top ten three years before, was in even deeper shit last year. things have gotten worse to such an extent that we saw him dropping down to No. 151 last August. it was then when he swallowed his pride and made the humiliating journey to challengers tour. he played three challengers, won them all (Vancouver, St. Remy and Tashkent). Marcos being puffed up, at No. 33 now, wants to exact revenge on his sad fate...

Quote:
considering whom he lost to and the drug issue , i cant see him coming back.
a person with a stronger personality might have been able to fight back but not gasquet
how do you define a strong personality? do you have a strength map of the tennis players that displays where the players sit in terms of their balls?
Getta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #137
country flag GasquetFan

GasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond reputeGasquetFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
sorry puschkin- i too think he is in real trouble. you are referring to a different gasquet at a different time

considering whom he lost to and the drug issue , i cant see him coming back.
a person with a stronger personality might have been able to fight back but not gasquet
Stronger personality? Wow... thats a big comment to make considering I doubt you know him on a personal level.

It is too early for comments like that.. He is only 23.. has only been back on tour for a few months... has hired a new coach...

I know he's frustrating but give him a chance....
GasquetFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #138
country flag Schu

Schu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond reputeSchu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Richard is a feel player, like it or not, he never did well in IW or Miami, never! Maybe it is the location, the climate or it is just not his time of the year. It would be totally wrong to force things.
It isn't about not feeling it or never doing well at IW or Miami or not his time of year. It's about being up 2 sets at AO this year or against Murray at Wimbly or having Almagro on the ropes and letting victory slip away or winning more points but loosing the match. It's about being able to serve an ace on set/match point instead of a double fault; it's about figuring out how to once again be the free and confident Gasquet that could beat Federer in Monte Carlo or Roddick at Wimbly.

He can fix his forehand and court positioning, get fitter than Federer and have the coach of the decade but without the mentality to win the last point he will not achieve the results I believe he really wants.

I'm still betting that he can find the answer and if not I'll still love watching him "almost win" while I pull my hair out and punch the TV.

Last edited by Schu : 03-13-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Schu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #139
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
It isn't about not feeling it or never doing well at IW or Miami or not his time of year. It's about being up 2 sets at AO this year or against Murray at Wimbly or having Almagro on the ropes and letting victory slip away or winning more points but loosing the match. It's about being able to serve an ace on set/match point instead of a double fault; it's about figuring out how to once again be the free and confident Gasquet that could beat Federer in Monte Carlo or Roddick at Wimbly.

He can fix his forehand and court positioning, get fitter than Federer and have the coach of the decade but without the mentality to win the last point he will not achieve the results I believe he really wants.

I'm still betting that he can find the answer and if not I'll still love watching him "almost win" while I pull my hair out and punch the TV.

Yup me too. What is worrying me with the "almost win" thing is that it seems to be getting worse not better for him. Also he is obviously practising a lot better than he is playing in matches right now.

I can be patient. I think the Argie coach idea is a great one for the physical stuff, maybe even improving his mental strength. As long as Markus bears in mind that Richard's game is not that of the typical player and doesn't try to get him to change what he's good at as well. I hate it when Richard pushes it just isn't him at all. So I think 3 months is a reasonable figure for the physical work to pay off. So by the grass season if he's not doing ok, I'm hunting down Markus and having words

So on to Sunrise. Didn't do Soderling any harm last year.

As for Richard's personality. I've never met him but I think that lack of mental strength on a tennis court is different to lack of substance or character. He showed great strength of character imo off court last year during the entire doping saga. He is obviously a reserved person, thats no secret, he doesn't seem the most outgoing but I don't think that has anything to do with what is going on for him on court. I think there is some sort of issue there, the whole being unable to win, when in winning position thing. Plenty of sports people (and other professionals) do have issues like this though and there are tons of good sports psychologists around. I suppose maybe he is already seeing one but if he isn't please could he get one it would benefit him so much. Psychological issues are no different than a recurrent injury really. The choking is Richard's equivalent of Rafa's knees.

Will be interesting to see if he shows up in Miami. I think he will and I think he might win a couple of rounds.

Last edited by Cloudygirl : 03-13-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Cloudygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #140
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richie In The States- 2 Masters 1000. Sunrise (15-03-2010)

The article in L'Equipe, but it doesn't say much about the match. He was extremely disappointed after the match and didn't want to speak to anybody. It just says that it was very close, he fought well, he served particularly well, but his coach complains he didn't attack on any of his 7 chances:
Quote:
Gasquet stoppé d’entrée
POUR SON SIXIÈME TOURNOI de l’année, le premier Masters 1000 depuis celui de Shanghai à l’automne dernier – il n’avait pas participé à celui de Bercy pour mieux se consacrer à sa défense devant le TAS le 10 novembre suite à une suspension pour absorption de cocaïne à la veille du tournoi de Miami, soit bientôt un an jour pour jour – le Biterrois s’est bien battu mais n’a pas pu franchir le cap du premier tour face à l’Allemand Simon Greul, vainqueur 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (9-7) en 1 h 55 à la troisième balle dematch. Très décu, le Français est aussitôt parti à son hôtel sans parler à personne. Sous les yeux de son nouveau coach, l’Argentin Gabriel Markus avec lequel Gasquet a entamé une sorte de « deuxième vie » lors de sa tournée (un peu tronquée) en Amérique du Sud sur terre battue entre la campagne australienne et le stage de Coupe Davis à Toulon, le Français, 69e mondial, a particulièrement bien servi. Mais c’est dans les deux jeux décisifs que l’Allemand, 58e, a fait la différence pour trois fois rien. Les deux sets s’étaient déroulés sans le moindre break, les deux joueurs sauvant chacun trois balles de breaks sur les douze service disputés par chacun d’entre eux. « Richard a eu sept occasions de faire la différence, mais sur aucune d’entre elles, il n’a saisi sa chance en attaquant », a regretté son coach.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #141
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I always think it's a good sign when he is disappointed or annoyed about a loss.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #142
country flag *julie*

*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute*julie* has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch... painful.
When will he learn from these defeats?
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
*julie* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #143
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Allez Richie!!!

Hope he still plays Sunrise.

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #144
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Sunrise has a good list of players, If Richie can have a good tournament, winning it, that would do alot of for him and his confidence.

I always have faith in Gasquet, so im backing him 2 win Sunrise!!!

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #145
country flag reggie1

reggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond reputereggie1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't know what to think about this loss. Is it that he just doesn't know what to do to close out matches from a winning position and needs to learn this skill or that he knows exactly what to do but just can't do it. To a non tennis player, I would think if you are in a winning position you just keep doing the same thing you've been doing until the match is over but is that easy? Are we over complicating things? I just hope he finds HIS answer to it and plays the way we know he can. My main worry is that since late summer of 2008, his results in tournaments were in decline and I often felt his results were buoyed by his ranking , I.e byes and fairly good draws. He no longer has this luxury and we are now down to the real nitty gritty of his tennis and his ability to fight his own way on court because nobody else can do it for him. Although, we are the most patient of fans and I do believe he should have won this, I do think more time is needed for this new coaching arrangement to come to fruition. If we are all still having the same conversation come Queens and Wimbly then I will worry.
reggie1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #146
country flag ImmzB

Miami starts on Wednesday the 24th in 11 days time, it sounds like not a long time 2 go, with Gasquet playing Sunrise, I hope 2 watch him play as there will be Live Streaming right?

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #147
country flag ImmzB

The Sunrise Challenger 1st Round Matches start on Tuesday (16th)

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #148
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
It isn't about not feeling it or never doing well at IW or Miami or not his time of year. It's about being up 2 sets at AO this year or against Murray at Wimbly or having Almagro on the ropes and letting victory slip away or winning more points but loosing the match.
Well, there is a guy on GM claiming that winning more points and losing the match is a speciality of..............Roger Federer.

And I heavily disagree about the feeling thing. I am convinced that he has to feel "it" (and I mean not only the tennis) to do well. In previous years, he just gave up when things did not work out. Meanwhile he has learnt to put up a fight, hence the defeats are getting closer, His approach has changed a lot, just read the L'Equipe summary, he did not speak to anyone. A couple of years ago he would have said "the opponent is a great playeur", well he might still say that, but he is certainly more angry at himself which (to me at least) shows a higher level of motivation and involvement.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #149
country flag Cloudygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
Well, there is a guy on GM claiming that winning more points and losing the match is a speciality of..............Roger Federer.

And I heavily disagree about the feeling thing. I am convinced that he has to feel "it" (and I mean not only the tennis) to do well. In previous years, he just gave up when things did not work out. Meanwhile he has learnt to put up a fight, hence the defeats are getting closer, His approach has changed a lot, just read the L'Equipe summary, he did not speak to anyone. A couple of years ago he would have said "the opponent is a great playeur", well he might still say that, but he is certainly more angry at himself which (to me at least) shows a higher level of motivation and involvement.

I agree he should be disappointed and annoyed and when he isn't after losing matches, I worry about him.

On to Sunrise where he will follow the Soderling map of greatness and maybe get to the final of Roland
Old 03-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #150
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudygirl View Post
On to Sunrise where he will follow the Soderling map of greatness and maybe get to the final of Roland
And Roger would have to face a totally new experience: a hostile crowd in Roland Garros.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote