*~!Waskeholics Unite!~* - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute
Default *~!Waskeholics Unite!~*

Alexander Waske.

I've only noticed him this year from challengers basically. Has he produced any good results or more of an average player?

Kristen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waske with ballkids.jpg (62.6 KB, 91 views)

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson

Last edited by Bjorkman_Girl : 07-21-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alexander Waske

Waske played quite well in ATP Munich this year on clay when I was there for a few days to watch the matches. I think his biggest success this season can be easily wrapped up by saying that his win over Vince Spadea in Munich was GREAT (Vince wasn't that bad at this time, he posted good results at the beginning of this year) and of course his Davis Cup doubles together with Tommy Haas against Isreal when they came back from 0-2 sets down to beat the favored (experienced) team Erlich/Ram in five sets.

Waske was played for the first time in his career in the Davis Cup team and got the possibility to contribute for the win because Germany's team captain Kühnen was desperately looking for a good doubles player. He even considered "old" evergreen Karsten Braasch who is still hanging around on the tour playing doubles and who would have been also a considerable option I think. But finally I guess Kühnen nominated Waske who already has done well playing doubles on challenger level. And Waske took his chance in an amazing manner together with Tommy. I was really happy for him that he could enjoy this win.

On Saturday evening, after his doubles win, Waske and the whole Davis Cup team were invited to a TV interview of a sports program and I remember that Waske called this Davis Cup win as the most emotional moment of his tennis career because the feeling was incredible that (he is already 29 years now) he got the chance to contribute for Germany's win and that it was overwhelming for him how the crowd gave him and Tommy standing ovations and chants for their effort. He was all smiles when saying that so I guess it was really cool for him

After their match point there was a pic about where Waske lied on the floor and Haas jumped on him as they were celebreting their win and this situation was funny somehow and of course it was Alfonso's favorite pick LOL

IMO Waske = handsome, nice

but Waske was a late starter to start his tennis career, too bad he can't do much on ATP level (and probably never will)

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely : 09-05-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:49 AM   #3
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Neely!
lol, this was one of the first photos I saw of him. I could support him based on how sweet he looks in this photo alone! Adorable (Typical Alfonso!)
Old 09-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
country flag Space Cowgirl

Space Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Waske seems like a pretty cool guy. I saw him in Munich as well, when he beat Ivanisevic in R1. He started on the tour very late (nearly mid-20s I think) because he went to university first (in the US, I think). Because of that he was never really going to have a chance to achieve a high ranking. His Davis Cup win with Haas was great, he was nearly the better of the two of them on the court.

Rainer = Lion
Kiwi = Scarecrow
Tommy = Tin Man
Flo = Dorothy

...but I still love 'em

Member #2 of Waskeholics United
Space Cowgirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute

for me Waske also has a strong and "firm" physical appearance

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Old 09-08-2004, 07:44 PM   #6
country flag Neely
-

now that Kiefer is definitely out for the Davis Cup, all of a sudden the chances for Waske are getting better and better to be nominated again.

So far I thought that the doubles DEFINITELY would have been Schüttler/Kiefer, I think Kühnen would have stuck to them because they really played a good doubles in Athens.

Now the question will be what Kühnen is doing with the doubles... again Waske/Haas?

at least this combination is something that has proved its worth and was successful...

Old 09-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
country flag Neely
-

Waske sounds really good and he seems to be very happy that he got again the chance to contribute to the German Davis Cup team.
He mentioned that he bought two Fan clubs tickets for the support in Bratislava. Damn, Waske really rocks

Quote:
"Wir sind besser als die Slowaken"

München - Für Alexander Waske steht fest: Das deutsche Davis-Cup-Quartett wird den Aufstieg in die Weltgruppe schaffen.

Als "Notnagel" sieht sich Waske trotz der Absagen von Rainer Schüttler und Nicolas Kiefer keinesfalls.

Nach seinem fulminanten Auftritt im Doppel gegen Israel greift der 29-Jährige auch am Samstag wieder gemeinsam mit Tommy Haas zum Schläger - gegen Dominik Hrbaty/Karol Beck.

Debütant Florian Mayer eröffnet am Freitag das Aufstiegs-Playoff - und trifft im ersten Match auf Dominik Hrbaty. Anschließend stehen sich Tommy Haas und Karol Beck gegenüber.

Waske will seinen persönlichen Aufwärtstrend in Bratislava fortsetzen und seinen Beitrag für das Team leisten. Sport1 sprach mit dem Frankfurter über die deutschen Aussichten, den "verdammt abgezockten" Mayer, die Stimmung im Team und seine ganz persönliche Rolle.

Sport1: Ab Freitag geht es gegen die Slowakei um den Aufstieg in die Weltgruppe. Was trauen Sie Ihrem Team zu?

Alexander Waske: Wir sind ganz klar hier, um zu siegen. Natürlich haben wir mit dem Ausfall von Nicolas und Rainer zwei harte Rückschläge hinnehmen müssen. Da fehlen uns jetzt zwei absolute Top-Leute. Aber wir haben das Glück, dass wir immer noch zwei richtig gute Spieler mit Tommy und Florian haben. Ich glaube, dass die beiden besser sind als die Slowaken und die Punkte für uns einfahren werden.

Sport1: Sie sind zum dritten Mal für den Davis Cup nominiert und werden an der Seite von Tommy Haas Doppel spielen. Haben Sie das Gefühl, dass Sie von den Absagen Kiefers und Schüttlers profitiert haben?

Waske: Ich finde es immer schade, wenn sich meine Mannschaftskollegen verletzen. Ich wäre auch nicht sauer gewesen, wenn ich dieses Mal nicht dabei gewesen wäre. Man muss einfach sagen, dass Rainer und Nicolas im Doppel eine super Leistung gebracht haben. Ich hätte das verstanden, wenn die anderen Vier gespielt hätten. Ich finde es wichtiger, dass wir aufsteigen - wer das genau macht, ist doch nebensächlich. Auch wenn ich nicht gespielt hätte, sehe ich mich trotzdem als Teil des Teams.

Sport1: Trotz seiner Verletzung ist Nicolas Kiefer in Bratislava mit dabei. Der Teamgeist scheint nach wie vor zu stimmen. Die letzten Erfolgserlebnisse im Davis Cup haben offenbar zusammen geschweißt.

Waske: Nicolas tut mir richtig leid. Man sieht, dass er brennt, der wäre hier richtig gefährlich geworden. Ich denke, wir wollen alle wieder Erfolg haben. Es ist so wichtig, dass das deutsche Davis-Cup-Team wieder in der Weltgruppe dabei ist. Vielleicht gibt es dann wieder große Matches vor 10.000 Leuten gegen die USA oder Frankreich, wo es richtig zur Sache geht. Ich glaube, das fehlt dem deutschen Tennis. Dann würden sich die Deutschen auch wieder mit ihrer Nationalmannschaft identifizieren.

Sport1: Im Einzel wird neben Haas wohl Florian Mayer zum Einsatz kommen. Was trauen Sie ihm bei seinem Debüt zu?

Waske: Er ist noch sehr jung, aber auch schon verdammt abgezockt. Bei Florian sieht die Spielweise etwas unorthodox aus, aber was er spielt, das kann er. Andre Agassi hat auch gesagt, dass es so aussieht, als würde er manche Schläge so hineiern. Aber seine Schläge sind einfach so. Florian hat sehr viel Talent, er trifft den Ball sehr früh und kommt mit der Geschwindigkeit der Gegner sehr gut zurecht. Ich denke, dass der hier für eine Überraschung sorgen wird: Er wird Hrbaty am Freitag schlagen.

Sport1: Sie werden immer gerne als Doppel-Spezialist tituliert. Hatten Sie nach der Absage von Rainer Schüttler insgeheim mit einer Nominierung im Einzel gerechnet?

Waske: Ich habe zu Patrik Kühnen gesagt, dass ich noch zwei Extra-Einheiten einschieben werde, damit ich für Freitag fit bin. Da ist er doch ins Stocken gekommen, aber das war natürlich nur ein Witz. Ich finde, die Leistungsgesellschaft im Tennis ist gerecht. Die, die zuletzt am besten gespielt haben, sollten spielen. Im Training hänge ich mich natürlich trotzdem rein und kann auch mit den anderen mithalten. Aber für Freitag ist es total gerechtfertigt, dass Tommy und Florian spielen.

Sport1: Sie sind kürzlich mit Blau-Weiß Sundern Deutscher Meister geworden. Dabei haben Sie einen neuen Rekord aufgestellt: Als bisher einziger Spieler blieben Sie in der Bundesliga im Einzel und Doppel ungeschlagen. Gibt das noch mal extra Selbstvertrauen für das Wochenende?

Waske: Auf jeden Fall, so was nimmt man natürlich mit. Wenn man über fünf Wochen alle Matches gewinnt, fühlt man sich natürlich gut. Und meine Verletzung, wegen der ich die US Open absagen musste, habe ich gut in den Griff bekommen. Ich habe zu Hause viel gearbeitet und hier habe ich natürlich mit Klaus Eder den besten Physiotherapeuten der Welt. In dieser Sparte sind wir allen anderen Teams überlegen.

Sport1: War die Umstellung von Sand auf Hartplatz schwierig? Kommt Ihnen der Belag in Bratislava entgegen?

Waske: Ich spiele grundsätzlich sehr gerne auf Hartplatz. Ich habe im College drei Jahre lang nur auf diesem Belag gespielt. Der Hartplatz hier ist eigentlich angenehm zum Spielen, schon recht flott, aber nicht zu schnell. Wir werden unsere Stärken auf jeden Fall nutzen können. Beide Teams spielen hier auf einem guten Belag, der ihnen liegt. Insofern entscheidet, wer die besten Spieler hat. Und die haben wir.

Sport1: Haben Sie sich schon darauf eingestellt, dass vermutlich alle in der Halle gegen das deutsche Team sein werden?

Waske: So wird's nicht sein, dafür habe ich wie versprochen gesorgt: Ich habe dem Fanklub, der mich in Stuttgart so toll unterstützt hat, Tickets besorgt. Die reisen total motiviert an, 20 von denen machen mehr los als 2000 Slowaken. Dazu kommt dann noch der Fanklub aus Sundern. Solche Fans muss man sich einfach warm halten und ihnen vor allem zeigen, dass es uns auch etwas bedeutet. Die fahren am Sonntag vermutlich heiser wieder nach Hause

Old 09-25-2004, 02:08 AM   #8
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

LOL He sounds like a German version of Jonas, in that sense
Very kind of him! I'll be looking out for him in January!

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Old 09-25-2004, 02:14 AM   #9
country flag Neely
-

I already mentioned it in Kiefer's thread, but Waske definitely knows how to support his team and he is the craziest and loudest one of the German box. Kiefer made a statement that he has to be careful that he doesn't have to play with a sore throat because of all the supporting, and he had the German colors in his face and on his upper arm. And combined with the article above and the fan clubs, I think it's fair to say that Waske is giving everything for his team in all categories

I hope he can win with Haas today, that would be nice!

Kühnen said that the loss of Kiefer/Schüttler is bad, but that Haas/Waske is also a good combination because they seem to get along very well off the courts. And it's always important for a doubles, especially in tense situations when to deal with pressure.

Last edited by Neely : 09-25-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
country flag Neely
-

Waske

really a great guy who was giving everything and I would even say that he contributed more than Tommy, especially towards the end when Tommy's service games sucked more and more.

and he knows how to celebrate and how to thank the fans that travelled to Slovakia.

BTW... special note for Alfonso after the converted match point, it was almost the same celebrating scene like against Israel. Waske fell to the floor and Tommy above him... but it became soon a "threesome" because Kühnen joined them

Quote:
Waske bärenstark

Mit einem fast physisch greifbaren Willen zum Sieg waren Haas und Waske am Samstag auf den Platz gegangen. Vor allem Alexander Waske lieferte eine Leistung ab, die dem Prädikat Weltklasse zumindest nahe kam. Er puschte sich selbst und Haas vom allerersten Ballwechsel an mit geballter Faust und lautstarken "Come on"-Rufen nach jedem Punktgewinn immer wieder nach vorne, spielte einige eigentlich unmögliche Bälle und vermittelte den Slowaken auf der anderen Seite des Netzes durch seine unmissverständliche Körpersprache das Gefühl, trotz des Heimvorteils ständig in der Defensive zu sein.

Last edited by Neely : 09-25-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Eckental, Final:
Waske def. Burgsmüller 7-5 7-6(15)
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
country flag SuperFurryAnimal

SuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I just recently 'discovered' Alex! Wow!

Member of the Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society

Visit AZ FANPAGE
SuperFurryAnimal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #13
country flag Space Cowgirl

Space Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFurryAnimal
Better late than never!

Rainer = Lion
Kiwi = Scarecrow
Tommy = Tin Man
Flo = Dorothy

...but I still love 'em

Member #2 of Waskeholics United
Space Cowgirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #14
country flag SuperFurryAnimal

SuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeSuperFurryAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Waske & Wassen (nice name combination! ) in the doubles in Qatar!

Member of the Mohamed Lahyani Appreciation Society

Visit AZ FANPAGE
SuperFurryAnimal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #15
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFurryAnimal
I discovered him earlier but I just discovered this thread
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote