Jim Courier vs Andy Roddick - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who would you say is the greatest tennis player?

Roddick 26 25.74%
Courier 75 74.26%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #1
country flag marcRD
Banned!

marcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jim Courier vs Andy Roddick

I was just thinking about Roddick's place in tennis history and what he can be compared to when we go back to former american players who were dominated by a great, 1st I thought about Michael Chang but I think Roddick is another animal alltogether, much more ambitous and just mentaly stronger with more longevity. That Wimbledon final against Federer would be unthinkable for Chang against Sampras.

So I jumped to Courier and to start with I must mention that in achievments there is no doubt Courier is much greater but if we take more things into the equations like the opposition they faced they are very similar as they both won their grand slams just before the greats of their respective era started dominating. Courier just was 1 year older than Sampras while Roddick is one year younger than Federer, this gave Courier those free years to win slams between 91-92,

Still here are the numbers between them:

GS QFS: Roddick leads 18-15
GS SFS: Roddick leads 11-10
GS FS: Courier leads 7-5
GS titles: Courier leads 4-1
Titles: Roddick leads 28-23
Weeks as nr1: Courier leads 68-13

H2H against the GOATs:

Courier head to head against Sampras: 4-16
Roddick head to head against Federer: 2-19

Ok, the numbers tell the story of 2 players who often got to the later stages of grand slams but Courier just has that great advantage of slam titles which puts him in a whole different level than Roddick, but if you count in anything else they are very similar in achievments. Both are consistent and often came up short against the great ones of their respective eras. My vote goes for Courier because his diversity was greater and he knew how to play on clay, but Roddicks fighting spirit has really grown into me and he deserves some recognition. Courier had a much better peak but Roddick has been more consistant, Courier got to his first grand slam final 91 and his last slam final 93 while Roddick has been to finals 03,04,05,06,09. Courier was nr1 for 68 weeks but was outside the top 10 at 24 years old and at Roddicks age he was barely in the top 50.

So what I want is your subjective opinion, which one do you think overall has been a better player, counting not only the peak but also longevity. I would specialy like to know the opinion of those who lived to see Courier at his peak because I have mostly seen him from 94-97 and I have only seen clips from 91-93. Was Courier simply more fortunate than Roddick or was he truly as much greater as 4 slams to 1 slam?
marcRD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jim Courier vs Andy Roddick

Courrier. No matter what other perks Roddick might have achieved in his career than Jim wasn't able to, 4 Grand Slams far outweighs the one Slam. If Roddick was able to win another Slam or maybe two, then Roddick would walk away the winner but the difference in Slam titles is far too grand.

Honestly, Roddick is extremely underrated in terms of what he achieved during his career being somewhat limited in his tennis abilities. All the focus goes to his sole GS title but everybody overlooks the fact that he hit his stride at the exact same time as one of the greatest as well, which hampered his chances at tallying up more GS trophies. Both Courrier and Roddick were great players, easily HOF worthy.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

GS - 4 vs 1

Says it all really.

Plus Courier reached the finals of the other 2 GS's he didn't win.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Courier burned brighter, but for a much shorter period. Seems to happen to a lot of those who win Roland Garros young.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Courier easily, made finals in all of the Slams at least once and won 4 of them.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
country flag Arkulari
Faithful Txurigorri

Arkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond reputeArkulari has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick with Courier, he has had a more complete Slam career

Arkulari is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
country flag Mechlan

Mechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond reputeMechlan has a reputation beyond repute

Courier of course, but this is closer than the 4-1 GS tally indicates.
Mechlan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
country flag lessthanjake

lessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Courier, simply because he was good on every surface, and I value that a great deal. Roddick is not good on clay at all.

However, with that said, I do not think the difference is huge. Roddick is best on fast surfaces (ie Wimbledon and US Open) but has played in the exact era in which the GOAT has dominated those events. It cannot be denied that that has lowered his slam count. In his prime, Courier never really had to deal with a player anywhere near Federer's caliber. I firmly believe that Roddick would be about a 4 time slam winner if Federer just were a normal all time great instead of an uber GOAT
lessthanjake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad comparison.
According to my TMS era ranking thread, Roddick sits just behind Courier and will likely overtake him pronto.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=89043

Courier is way more accomplished than Roddick on clay and at the AO.
Roddick has a much better record at Wimbledon, the US Open and the hardcourt TMS events.
Roddick has also won more overall titles.

If Roddick had been born 2 years earlier, he'd have had a window of opportunity post-Sampras and pre-Federer to snatch a few more slams and we probably wouldn't have this discussion.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #10

lessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond reputelessthanjake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
Not a bad comparison.
According to my TMS era ranking thread, Roddick sits just behind Courier and will likely overtake him pronto.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=89043

Courier is way more accomplished than Roddick on clay and at the AO.
Roddick has a much better record at Wimbledon, the US Open and the hardcourt TMS events.
Roddick has also won more overall titles.

If Roddick had been born 2 years earlier, he'd have had a window of opportunity post-Sampras and pre-Federer to snatch a few more slams and we probably wouldn't have this discussion.
Oh, how I love the fact that that ranking puts Roddick ahead of Boris Becker hahahahaha. Oranges, take note.

And yes, I know it starts at 1990, and so hes not really ahead.

Last edited by lessthanjake : 02-12-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanjake View Post
Oh, how I love the fact that that ranking puts Roddick ahead of Boris Becker hahahahaha. Oranges, take note.
Mind you it's post-1990. Obviously Becker is way more accomplished.
Had to draw a line somewhere.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
Mind you it's post-1990. Obviously Becker is way more accomplished.
Had to draw a line somewhere.
Haha I know that; I was just kidding around
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
country flag marcRD
Banned!

marcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond reputemarcRD has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad some could see beyond the slam counts, it is not that far between them even if Courier is ahead. I just think Roddick deserves aknowledgement for his consistancy, he has been in the top 10 forever by now and something keeps driving him to stay there. Roddick has prob passed the more talented Safin and the shortlived star which was Hewitt, he doesnt deserve to be labeled a one-hit wonder, he really lost to some great players also in his finals and semifinals.

11 semifinals, lost there 3 times against Federer and once against Hewitt in Australia and in his 4 finals lost them all against Federer. That is to say it is nothing to be ashamed of, Courier on the other hand was another shortlived star but peaked as a bigger sized star than Hewitt before exploding. I really wonder how it feels like to get to 7 finals within 2 years (RG 1991-Wimbledon 1993) and then just never get to another grand slam final and just slowly fade away as the true giant of your era takes over. It was perfect timing by Courier and he made the most of this short space between eras which happened between 91-93, so hats off for him. Personaly I just think he was closer to the level of a Hewitt-Safin-Roddick than a Becker or Edberg despite his slam count telling something else.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Courier. 4 Slams and the final in the two he didn't win.

'If it wasn't for Federer Roddick would have won this and that'

If it wasn't for Sampras, Jim might have won Wimbledon, in the era of fast grass and two stroke points. That would have been an unreal achievement.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
country flag marcRD
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Courier. 4 Slams and the final in the two he didn't win.

'If it wasn't for Federer Roddick would have won this and that'

If it wasn't for Sampras, Jim might have won Wimbledon, in the era of fast grass and two stroke points. That would have been an unreal achievement.
No he wouldnt, instead Becker would have beaten him in the final (Becker was 6-1 against Courier h2h).