Who has taken more from the other, Roger or Rafa? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who has taken more from the other, Roger or Rafa?

Ask the hipothetical question: How would Roger's career be at this point if Rafa didn't exist in the tennis world? He'd probably have between 4 and 6 GS more (has lost 5 GS finals to Nadal & one RG semi) plus potentially two CYGS in 2006 and 2007 (lost in both years the RG final to Nadal but won all the other GS). On top of that, he'd probably have 3 or 4 more MS (has lost 1 MS final in Rome and 3 in Monaco, both MS he's never won) plus maybe one ATP 500 (Dubai 2006 final, lost in 3 sets).
Another thing to be considered is that he would have probably ended 2008 as number 1 in the world so right now he'd arguably have 6 consecutive years as year-end number 1 and this year would be looking for another more to break Sampras' record.

Now let's do the same for Rafa. How well would he have fared without Roger on his way? He'd probably have 2 more Wimby titles plus 2 or 3 more MS (lost Miami 2005, Hamburg 2007 and Madrid 2009, all finals) and maybe 1 or 2 TMC (lost in semis in 2006 and 2007). To top all this, he would have arguably ended 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009 ranked as the number 1 player in the world making a total of 5 straight years as year-end number 1 and this year he'd be looking to tie Sampras' record.

That said, this is purely hipothetical of course. It can always be argued that the fierce rivalry between this 2 has made both of them better competitors and players and that maybe neither Fed or Rafa would have been as good or ambitious in their careers had they not had to push themselves so much to beat the other. I think there might be some truth in this, especially for Rafa given that I've always thought (and this is just my opinion of course) that having a player so good ahead of him has made him push himself more and more to be better.

In any case, it's still kind of frightening to consider how much Fed has taken away from Rafa and viceversa. It's really quite impressive.
Imagine Fed with 6 consecutive years as number 1, between 20 and 22 GS, about 20 MS and one or two CYGS. That's what you would be tempted to call the undisputed GOAT, no?

Last edited by abraxas21 : 03-11-2010 at 07:48 PM.
abraxas21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has taken more from the other, Roger or Rafa?

Good post, I especially agree with this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
I think there might be some truth in this, especially for Rafa given that I've always thought (and this is just my opinion of course) that having a player so good ahead of him has made him push himself more and more to be better.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal has basically been screwed over this generation

if Federer didn't exist, nadal would be on 10 slams

probably would have remained mroe healthy because he didnt kill himself trying to get to feds level

probably would have won about 10 RGs in the end

sadly (happily)

nadal will forever be known as just a foot note in the history book

A BOOK WRITTEN BY ROGER (MOTHERFUCKING) FEDERER

OOOH YEAH
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
country flag nanoman

nanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond reputenanoman has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal obviously. If it wasn't for Fed he might've won less. Fed destroyed half the field and then bend over for him in the finals.
:Nadal - Roddick - Murray
nanoman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal has made Fed's backhand better. It seems.

Rafa's taken away the opportunity of CYGS for Roger a couple of times. Roger's stopped Nadal from being a multiple Wimbledon champ. All in all, I think they've contributed to each other's success by being pushed to perform.
Dini is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
country flag -Valhalla-
Mais Oui

-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute-Valhalla- has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares about what they've "taken" from each other. It's what they've given to each other, us fans, and the sport, that will be their enduring legacy.

"He who endures, conquers."
- Persius
-Valhalla- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
country flag StevoTG

StevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond reputeStevoTG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla99 View Post
Who cares about what they've "taken" from each other. It's what they've given to each other, us fans, and the sport, that will be their enduring legacy.
StevoTG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
country flag Persimmon

Persimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond reputePersimmon has a reputation beyond repute

In tennis slams rule over other tournaments. H2H 6-2 for Nadal at the slams. So obviously Nadal.
Persimmon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persimmon View Post
In tennis slams rule over other tournaments. H2H 6-2 for Nadal at the slams. So obviously Nadal.
it's not just tournaments; it's also about number of years ending as number 1 plus some other things.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal could have been a lesser Connors. Fed could have been the close-to-indisputable GOAT. So Nadal. Fed had so much more to lose.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #11
country flag Macbrother

Location: Ward 47 of the Tilonus Institute for Mental Disorders
Macbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond reputeMacbrother has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Nadal could have been a lesser Connors. Fed could have been the close-to-indisputable GOAT. So Nadal. Fed had so much more to lose.
I think a Borg comparison is a little more apt, calling him a lesser Connors (when he still yet may achieve more than Connors ever did) is short-suiting him a little. But I agree, Federer, in this hypothetical scenario, has lost more. I mean 2 grand slams, come on. Nadal has stopped Federer from absolutely unprecedented heights.

The greatest backhand pass ever.

fucktard. n. A special variety of retard whose condition arises not from clinically demonstrable neurological impairment, but from buttersnap shitfuckery of the mind.
Macbrother is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
country flag Zirconek
Tęnis Mambembe

Zirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond reputeZirconek has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting to check who took more from the other, at this point, about prize money - especially at finals. They are both "very millionaires" anyway.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #13
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbrother View Post
I think a Borg comparison is a little more apt, calling him a lesser Connors (when he still yet may achieve more than Connors ever did) is short-suiting him a little. But I agree, Federer, in this hypothetical scenario, has lost more. I mean 2 grand slams, come on. Nadal has stopped Federer from absolutely unprecedented heights.
If it weren't for Federer, Nadal probably would have been number one at age 19! But Nadal has taken a lot more away from Federer. I'm very grateful for Nadal because Federer has been so dominant as it is. Federer probably would have won 11 straight Grand Slams if it weren't for Nadal (2005 Roland Garros to 2007 US Open inclusive) and that would have driven a lot of people crazy!
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #14
country flag SerenaFederer

SerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond reputeSerenaFederer has a reputation beyond repute

i think rafa took more from fed than fed did rafa...fed COULD have been undisputed GOAT by a large margin but oh well

only thing fed took from rafa was a few wimbledon titles and a few more MS...

so i'd say the one who beats you in the final takes more from you than the one who loses before he reaches the other

.."and they will call him Immanuel - which means God with us" Matthew 1: 23

KING FEDERER Falling in love with Rafa and his "famoose ass"
#194 on the Fed Express
SerenaFederer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #15
country flag Ibracadabra

Ibracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond reputeIbracadabra has a reputation beyond repute

I believe roger has taken rafas soul and knees.
Ibracadabra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote