Who needs creativity when you can just say YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!! (Spring HC Thread) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #61
country flag Heather1229

Heather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring US HC season (You have to do something good to deserve a creative title...

Will Americans build off optimistic week?
February, 15, 2010Feb 158:49AM ETComment Print Email Share All in all, this was the kind of week that might have helped U.S. players if it occurred a few weeks ago, when everyone was gathered in Melbourne, for the first Grand Slam event of the year.

Here you had Melanie Oudin, the darling of American tennis last September, pulling herself out of a tailspin and showing flashes of the game that carried her to a handful of big wins at Grand Slams and a quarterfinal finish at the Open last year.

Oudin's run began a little over a week ago, at the Fed Cup. And while the French team wasn't exactly made up of players that would lead most rank-and-file players on the WTA Tour to quake in their Nikes, they were at home, on indoor red clay. Plus, nobody on the U.S. squad was playing well during the practice week leading up to the event. But the American women stepped up, and the next thing you know Melanie Oudin, having won two Fed Cup matches, is battling Elena Dementieva for a place in the final of the Paris Indoors.

After that mini-run, Oudin brassily declared that she wanted to be seeded for the French Open and finish the year in the top 20. She emphatically said, "I think that's realistic."

Humility and guarded optimism are fine things, but you've got to love a player whose basic attitude is, "Hey, I can do this. What's the big deal?" The attitude alone is good for top 20, and if her game has some exploitable holes, it will still take a determined and willful opponent to make the most of them.

Oudin has a bit of the Andy Roddick in her, although she hasn't been roughed up enough yet to fully appreciate that determination, hard work and a specific, somewhat incomplete skill set can take you only so far.

But isn't it great how Andy Roddick hasn't ever lost his appetite for the game, or the faith that on any given day he can overcome his opponent? It doesn't matter if past history says he can't -- believing he can always puts him in with a shot. When Roddick wins Wimbledon (and I'm confident he will, one day), it will be a moment to rival Goran Ivansevic's triumph there.

Roddick had a good week, too. If you remember, he suffered a painful loss to John Isner in the third round of the U.S. Open last year. (Roddick lost the first- and fifth-set tiebreakers, falling victim to the kind of serving display that's customarily his stock in trade.) Well, the other day Roddick met Sam Querrey, who's Isner-ish (or is Isner Querrey-ish, or are both of them Roddick-ish?).

This time, Roddick was on the winning end of two tiebreakers. Nobody is going to confuse the SAP Open with the U.S. Open, but reaching the SAP final was a good bounce-back for Roddick. Gamely, if futilely fighting nerve pain in his serving arm at the Australian Open, Roddick was dumped by Marin Cilic, who burst forth as a new member of the top 10.

Given how American tennis fortunes have fluctuated lately, it's hardly surprising that Roddick failed to close the deal Sunday, letting a one-set lead slip away to a guy he'd beaten seven straight times, Fernando Verdasco. You couldn't call that a bad loss as much as an understandable one, give the way U.S. players have struggled of late.

But all in all, it was a good week -- a jump-start week -- for U.S. players, including Querrey. And with big hard-court tournaments coming up, Oudin, Querrey and Roddick have reasons to be optimistic.
Heather1229 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #62
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring US HC season (You have to do something good to deserve a creative title...

Hard to be optimistic about Andy after seeing him play so badly... plus he's apparently going back to Austin to get his arm/neck checked out before going to Memphis

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #63
country flag Heather1229

Heather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond reputeHeather1229 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's just precautionary, he has a bit of a stacked schedule coming up so I'd rather he get it checked out then end up with a dead arm come Indian Wells and Miami.

Anyone else lucky enough to be working like me today?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #64
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully. I wouldn't mind him pulling out of Dubai and just putting everything into defending Memphis and chilling in the US til IW and Miami

And yep, I am

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #65
country flag Heather1229

Oh aren't we just two lucky ducks! On the brightside we have jobs! Since it's a holiday we're all breaking our diets and ordering chinese food, in honor of the chinese new year of course!
Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #66
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather1229 View Post
On the brightside we have jobs!
Amen to that!!!

Quote:
Since it's a holiday we're all breaking our diets and ordering chinese food, in honor of the chinese new year of course!
HAHA nice! I have leftover chinese food from over the weekend when my parentals were still in town visiting, so I guess i'm joining in too

Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #67
country flag arodfanpe666o

arodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond reputearodfanpe666o has a reputation beyond repute

If he play Memphis, I think he will pull out of Dubai. He did not play last year, has no points to defend and with IW and Miami coming, I think he will rest ofter this week.
arodfanpe666o is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #68
country flag Heather1229

It doesn't make any sense for him to play in Dubai, other than the financial aspect. Hopefully his arm is okay enough for him to play Memphis and then he'll pull out of Dubai and rest up.

Deb, the chinese food was not so great. In case you wanted an update, haha!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #69
country flag Jade Fox

Jade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond reputeJade Fox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
Hard to be optimistic about Andy after seeing him play so badly... plus he's apparently going back to Austin to get his arm/neck checked out before going to Memphis
Well that's just great. Just make me worry some more why don't ya Andy?

The side pieces
The Sweet but Dopey Argentine
The Bulgarian Headcase
That Douche from Australia

And when the daylight's fading we're gonna play in the dark til it's golden again
Jade Fox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #70
country flag Deboogle!.

Quote:
It doesn't make any sense for him to play in Dubai, other than the financial aspect. Hopefully his arm is okay enough for him to play Memphis and then he'll pull out of Dubai and rest up.
your mouth to andy's ears, please

Quote:
Deb, the chinese food was not so great. In case you wanted an update, haha!
awww, bummer!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #71
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always happy to see players pull out of Dubai and would encourage Andy to take that route (and yeah, that's my personal issue and I'll stop now).

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:30 AM   #72
country flag Deboogle!.

well, andy's there: http://www.memphistennis.com/press-conference-video

Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #73
country flag Heather1229

He looks good at least!
Old 02-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #74
country flag Deboogle!.

he plays Lu tomorrow... can't see him going much further than that, though.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #75
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

My pictures from Andy's match tonight

Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote