Is Andy Murray the Fifth Best Among Youngsters? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is Andy Murray the Fifth Best Among Youngsters?

I know it's too early to read too much into Andy Murray's humiliating loss at AO, but I think he is overrated. Djokovic, Nadal, Delpotro have all made their breakthrough. And Cilic looks more likely to do it than Murray. He might win a few slams but is he really third best player in the world when there are 4 youngsters that are better than him?

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Andy Murray the Fifth Best Among Youngsters?

there's nothing humilliating in losing in 3 sets to the greatest player to have ever picked up a racquet. in fact, he gave quite a battle in the third set. murray should be proud of himself.

as federer declines, i personally expect pony boy and muray to fight for the GS in the future. Djokovic is going to be a force too but i don't think he'll be as strong as those 2.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
country flag noctilux

noctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond reputenoctilux has a reputation beyond repute

Well, mentally, Murray does seem to have issues. The pressure on him is greater, applied both by his entourage and, especially, the British media. However, talent-wise I think he is probably ahead of his peers. Cilic is a good player, but, like Del Potro, he seems to have little options aside from hitting the ball as hard as he can. Clever players like Murray or Federer will probably find their way past them more often than not.
Djokovic has the mental strength to do well, but has issues with playing on a high level consistently these days and, to me, seems to have lost some of his drive. Nadal, well, I wouldn't put him in the same category as Murray; he's obviously at a later stage of his career.
I'd rank the four like this:
1. Murray
2. Djokovic (tough call, could be ahead of Murray)
3. Del Potro
4. Cilic
If Murray manages to play a more relaxed game, I think he'll emerge the winner from this group of youngsters.
noctilux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
country flag tennishero

tennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond reputetennishero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctilux View Post
Well, mentally, Murray does seem to have issues. The pressure on him is greater, applied both by his entourage and, especially, the British media. However, talent-wise I think he is probably ahead of his peers. Cilic is a good player, but, like Del Potro, he seems to have little options aside from hitting the ball as hard as he can. Clever players like Murray or Federer will probably find their way past them more often than not.
Djokovic has the mental strength to do well, but has issues with playing on a high level consistently these days and, to me, seems to have lost some of his drive. Nadal, well, I wouldn't put him in the same category as Murray; he's obviously at a later stage of his career.
I'd rank the four like this:
1. Murray
2. Djokovic (tough call, could be ahead of Murray)
3. Del Potro
4. Cilic
If Murray manages to play a more relaxed game, I think he'll emerge the winner from this group of youngsters.
murray should be moved down to 3rd in that list, djokovic and delpo both have slams, no way around that.
tennishero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Give Murray a break, please. He lost a GS final to Fed, not some lower ranked player that he supposed to beat.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
country flag SheepleBuster

SheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond reputeSheepleBuster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paseo View Post
Give Murray a break, please. He lost a GS final to Fed, not some lower ranked player that he supposed to beat.
Yes. But if he can't win against an aging Fed while being ahead head to head and having a slam final experience against the same guy then I don't know. Del Po was destroyed by Fed here last year but still pulled it out against Roger at the US Open. Nadal is nadal. and I feel Cilic is actually closer to a title than Murray which is surprising. Federer may have been right all along. Murray is too conservative with some of his shots. It works against mugs like Blake or Melzer but not against Roger

Suarez & Nadal : True Trailblazers in Sports
*Proud hater of the neo-L.Ron Hubbard of Espana, the fake Pharaoh without clothes ... cult leader extraordinaire and ...
SheepleBuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
country flag paseo

paseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond reputepaseo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusking View Post
Yes. But if he can't win against an aging Fed while being ahead head to head and having a slam final experience against the same guy then I don't know. Del Po was destroyed by Fed here last year but still pulled it out against Roger at the US Open. Nadal is nadal. and I feel Cilic is actually closer to a title than Murray which is surprising. Federer may have been right all along. Murray is too conservative with some of his shots. It works against mugs like Blake or Melzer but not against Roger
I already post a respond to something like this in another thread. Here it is. saves me time from typing

Quote:
.... If Fed played like he did against Murray, Del potro would lost straight sets too. Don't get me wrong, Del Potro is good, but people are overrating him. He's lucky Fed played like crap that night, but credit to him to have seized the opportunity.

Bottom line :
Fed at AO2010 final & USO08 final >>>>> Fed at USO09 final.
Quote:
I thought we're only talking about GS finals here. Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Del Potro here. It's not his fault that Fed was playing bad, he was the better player on that day and a deserved winner. But, come on man. You gotta admit that Fed was playing so much better in the finals against Murray. So much better.

You can say that Del Potro didn't allow Fed to play that well. Okay, fair argument. But, there's one shot that the opponent can't do anything about, it's the serve. And Fed's serve let him down that night against Del Potro. Unlucky for Fed, lucky for Del Potro. And like I said, credit to Del Potro for capitalizing on that. Heck, not many players can do it before against Fed, well no one except Nadal in fact.

Don't take this as a bad thing for Del Potro, though. Every champion needs luck. Fed, Nadal, and all past champions had their fair share of luck, too.
paseo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
country flag Allegretto

Allegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond reputeAllegretto has a reputation beyond repute

You know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew.
Allegretto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
country flag serveandvolley80

serveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond reputeserveandvolley80 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cilic is a good player, but, like Del Potro, he seems to have little options aside from hitting the ball as hard as he can.
I wish people would actually watch tennis for a change before commenting on a said player.

Cilic is an excellent net player, has great movement laterally and from back to the front of the court, his Fitness is great for a big man.

I don't get where we have this idea that Cilic is only a ball basher just because hes tall, has you actually watched him play?
serveandvolley80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
country flag ExcaliburII

ExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond reputeExcaliburII has a reputation beyond repute

Murray 4th/5th fighting with Cilic.

ExcaliburII is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburII View Post
Murray 4th/5th fighting with Cilic.
How are they even mentioned in the same sentence?

I like Cilic's attitude and respect his achievements, but they pale in comparison to Murray's in every single way. Sure, Marin is younger and has some catching up to do, but as things stand Andy is miles ahead (highest ranking: 2, ATP titles: 14, best GS performance: finals x 2).

Plus, I'm not even sure that Nadal should be counted as a youngster in tennis terms anymore. He's 24 this year having had 9 years of professional experience. He's nearly a veteran.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, he's 2nd best, behind Djokovic. At the end of the year I expect him to be ranked around 4th, behind Fed, Del Potro, & Nadal.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infini. View Post
How are they even mentioned in the same sentence?

I like Cilic's attitude and respect his achievements, but they pale in comparison to Murray's in every single way. Sure, Marin is younger and has some catching up to do, but as things stand Andy is miles ahead (highest ranking: 2, ATP titles: 14, best GS performance: finals x 2).

Plus, I'm not even sure that Nadal should be counted as a youngster in tennis terms anymore. He's 24 this year having had 9 years of professional experience. He's nearly a veteran.
Never, ever take Pablin seriously.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
country flag Dini

Dini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond reputeDini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Never, ever take Pablin seriously.
Lesson learnt.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
country flag Nekromanta
Banned!

Nekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond reputeNekromanta has a reputation beyond repute

Cilic is thousand times better than Murray. He's more disciplined and more aggressive than Murray and he has hard clean shots.

Murray and his fans are totally deluded. They still insist Murray doesn't have to change anything, and try to make something positive out of every failure, like this AO loss, where Murray had absolutely had no chance. Compare him to Delpo at the USO, where even when Delpo sucked and lost sets he sometimes totally blew Fed off the court. He made Fed look like a little girl at times. While Murray never had any chance. He tried to play chess with Fed, but unfortunately FEd is much better at it, and Murray has no power or balls like Delpo.

Even Rafa, who has won 6 gss admitted that the field is changing and he will have to play more aggressively if he wants to win anything, then the zero slam Murray and his fans why insist that nothing's wrong with Murray's game? Someone please explain that to me.
Nekromanta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote