New tournament: Who's the GOAT? (from Eurosport Website) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
country flag DrJules

DrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond reputeDrJules has a reputation beyond repute
Default New tournament: Who's the GOAT? (from Eurosport Website)

Eurosport-Yahoo! has set up a new tennis tournament to find who is the greatest men's tennis player of all time - and ultimately it will be up to you, the readers, to decide.

Who's the GOAT? (greatest of all time) is a 16-man knockout tournament that will pit the best of the best against each other every week.

There have been 16 men who have won three or more Grand Slam titles in the Open era and we have seeded our competitors based on those successes. Where players have won the same amount, the number of ATP titles they have won acts as a tie-break.

Each week we will present one match-up and get you the readers to vote on who would win if both players faced off against each other while playing at the absolute peak of their abilities.

To help stir debate, Eurosport tennis commentator and blogger Simon Reed will analyse each hypothetical match every Thursday and offer his opinion on how it might go.

Then the following Wednesday we will reveal the result of the match with a selection of your comments, before Simon presents the next match-up the following day.

When analysing each match, we'd urge you to consider the players playing one set on grass, one set on a clay court, and one set on a hard court before deciding who you think might win.

However, there are no hard and fast rules. Each match is its own unique event. You might think Roger Federer is the greatest, but also that an in-form John McEnroe would beat him every time. You might just be a big Boris Becker fan and want him to progress in the tournament. You might have never warmed to Pete Sampras and want him out straight away.

As we said, ultimately it is up to you. If you want to set up a Facebook page to drum up support for Bjorn Borg, or tweet all your friends to vote for Andre Agassi - go ahead.

It's all a bit of fun, and hopefully it will spark some great tennis debate.

Find the tournament draw below and log on to Eurosport-Yahoo! on Thursday when Simon Reed will run the rule over the first match - Roger Federer v Jim Courier - and you will be able to start voting.

WHO'S THE GOAT? - THE DRAW

Top half

1-Roger Federer

16-Jim Courier

-

8-Mats Wilander

9-Boris Becker

-

5-Ivan Lendl

12-Rod Laver

-

13-John Newcombe

4-Jimmy Connors

+++

Bottom half

3-Bjorn Borg

14-Ken Rosewall

-

6-Andre Agassi

11-Rafael Nadal

-

7-John McEnroe

10-Stefan Edberg

-

15-Guillermo Vilas

2-Pete Sampras

Eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/030220...ment-goat.html

Federer 17 GS, 6 Year End Masters, 23 Master Series.
Nadal 14 GS, 0 Year End Masters, 27 Master Series, 1 Olympic Gold.
Djokovic 7 GS, 3 Year End Masters, 19 Master Series.

DrJules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New tournament: Who's the GOAT? (from Eurosport Website)

Quote:
To help stir debate, Eurosport tennis commentator and blogger Simon Reed will analyse each hypothetical match every Thursday and offer his opinion on how it might go.
Oooooookkkkkaaaaayyyyy...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Andy Murray's not in it, so Reed is basically fucked
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
I am sure he'll find a way to talk about Murray 90 % of the time.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
country flag TheWall

TheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond reputeTheWall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Andy Murray's not in it, so Reed is basically fucked
He'll revise the draw and replace Laver with Murray.
TheWall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
country flag prafull

prafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond reputeprafull has a reputation beyond repute

Most important question is which surface this tournament is conducted on?
prafull is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
country flag ayloKolya

ayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond reputeayloKolya has a reputation beyond repute

load of shit
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafull View Post
Most important question is which surface this tournament is conducted on?
Doesn't matter, Laver still wins.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

It seemed a fun idea as I was reading, until I came to the name Simon Reed..... Maybe I'm not being fair, but his other mouthings have really turned me off him

"[Roger] You Are My Magnificent Obsession"
barbadosan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
country flag Quadruple Tree

Quadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond reputeQuadruple Tree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
Doesn't matter, Laver still wins.
Because of all those hard court Slams he won, right?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

There's Nadal out already.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple Tree View Post
Because of all those hard court Slams he won, right?
He dominated the opposition in the hard-court tournaments they had back then. Not his fault they weren't slams.

(I wasn't being entirely serious.)
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Laver and Rosewall 12 and 14?

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
country flag SetSampras

SetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond reputeSetSampras has a reputation beyond repute

1. Laver
2. Rosewall
3. Tilden
4. Pancho
SetSampras is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strunz View Post
Laver and Rosewall 12 and 14?
You've even managed to read up till they were mentioned?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote