The most #1 record reached thread - Page 26 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #376
country flag crude oil

crude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The countdown to screwing up the most #1 record thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Exactly. Let's not forget that just a few weeks ago he won his first tournament since nearly one year ago.

People on GM here are quick to write people off, first it has been Roger, then Rafa, now probably Roger again.

It's true that Roger gets older and things won't get any easier, but he was always able to come back after huge disappointments. Maybe it's exactly the motivation he needs to "hunt" Rafa now to get back the #1?

Well, we have seen that the matches against Nadal on grass have been really difficult in 2007 and 2008 ( ) and last year he had to play 5 sets against Roddick.

Rafa will going with all the confidence from the past weeks into the Wimbledon tournament. It has to be seen how Murray will handle the pressure of winning his home slam and Roddick has shown at the US Masters earlier this year that you can never count him out.

Söderling and Berdych are taking the next week off and will be fresh for Wimbledon. They can be dangerous on grass as well.

It will be interesting to see the draw for the tournament this year.

Exactly. While Nadal was very impressive on the clay - he can rely on his legs very much. He will need to take more risks on other surfaces to win. Soderling at today's level would have probably taken at least a set or maybe even two on a faster court.

I dont think nadal's level currently is good enough to win off of Clay. But this might give him confidence to start hitting more offensive shots.

Murray actually deals well with expectations imo. He just was unlucky last year when he lost to roddick who was scorching throughout the tournament and narrowly missed winning his first wimbledon.

I think roddick and murray are going to be two big favorites after federer for wimbledon. Roddick has been playing very impressively prior to clay. Murray's game is well suited to the surface. Berdych and Soderling have good confidence. This wimbledon is going to be a real tussle. Much of it depends of course on whether federer can find his rhythm on grass. I hope roger can go for his shots - win or lose. I dont want to see him playing timid or conservative...missing many bp chances. Federer has always been a very passive bp player.
crude oil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #377
country flag crude oil

crude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The no thanks to screwing up the most #1 record thread

For federer, it will be all about his ability to produce his best when it matters most. I do think some of the days of his match-in match out consistency are gone. He doesn't play at the insane standard he used to. Its not because he is worse as a player. In fact i think he is a better player today with more skills, more experience, more tactics and slightly less athleticism. But he just doesnt play clean matches on a regular basis - he lacks the natural muscle memory he once had - maybe due to not practicing as hard. I dont think age is the reason. federer is still moving well and is physically strong enough to dominate.

The draw will be important sad to say.
crude oil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #378
country flag Swiss Mountain

Swiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond reputeSwiss Mountain has a reputation beyond repute

Suck! Roger play for not losing before he play for winning, a french coach Moratouglou (Rezai coach) said that.

Inside Tennis - March 23rd, 2010
Swiss Mountain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #379
country flag icedevil0289

icedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
It's true that players are getting written off too soon (and btw, also hyped up too much too soon), but I indeed have a hard time believing that Roger will be capable of getting back that #1 (I'd love to be proven wrong of course).

The signs for him to take the Sampras record after the AO were very good, as there were plenty of points for Roger to take up during the Spring, even more with a number of top players being injured/out of form. Unfortunately, he failed dramatically.
The situation is entirely different right now: Roger has tons of points to defend, while the injured players will be coming back at a certain point, and I expect Murray & Djokovic to try and pick up their forms as well. Not to mention Rafa of course, who, after today's match, has shown that he's fully back to business. And then we have young and upcoming players like Gulbis, Cilic, etc...

Nope, I think Roger blew his chances this year for the reasons summed up so well by ApproachShot. Some of those reasons he of course had no influence on (his lung infection), but others... apparently I was completely right about my fears of him skipping MC, and it cost him dearly.

There is, however, one thing we shouldn't forget: if Rafa hadn't become injured last year, handing over the #1 position back to Roger, we wouldn't even have held this discussion to start with. Roger has plenty records already, I'd say, let Sampy keep this one.
yeah rafa was injured last year, but whose fault is that? roger played whoever was infront of him and won and got back his no.1, and same thing with rafa this year. sorry, you make it sound like roger didn't deserve it, like so many rafatards claim. roger deserved his no.1 position back, although I admit he was helped from rafa, but that's not roger's fault. Same thing with rafa now.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #380
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedevil0289 View Post
yeah rafa was injured last year, but whose fault is that? roger played whoever was infront of him and won and got back his no.1, and same thing with rafa this year. sorry, you make it sound like roger didn't deserve it, like so many rafatards claim. roger deserved his no.1 position back, although I admit he was helped from rafa, but that's not roger's fault. Same thing with rafa now.
Hey Usha (nice seeing you around! ), I just mentioned it as an example of how rankings are never 'set in stone', and how anything might happen. The players aren't solely dependent on their own well playing, but benefit from the misfortune of others, too, and that's nobody's 'fault'.
Roger's #1 position at that time was just as much deserved as Rafa's is now - of course!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #381
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, he's 30 weeks off Sampras' weeks-in-the-Top-2 record of 376, that's something else to aim for
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #382

icedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond reputeicedevil0289 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey Usha (nice seeing you around! ), I just mentioned it as an example of how rankings are never 'set in stone', and how anything might happen. The players aren't solely dependent on their own well playing, but benefit from the misfortune of others, too, and that's nobody's 'fault'.
Roger's #1 position at that time was just as much deserved as Rafa's is now - of course!
I know you didn;t mean it like that karin, sorry for being a bit defensive.

enjoy halle btw.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #383
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know you didn;t mean it like that karin, sorry for being a bit defensive.

enjoy halle btw.
Hey no prob!
I apparently did a great job impersonating a Rafatard.

Anathema

Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #384

Quote:
Hey no prob!
I apparently did a great job impersonating a Rafatard.
I've been around TW too much. During the third set, we already had threads bringing up rafa's injury last year and how it affected roger's win, etc, etc, and more of robin being and overrated clown. I think I was just tired of those comments so it carried over here.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #385
Anathemaniac

Quote:
I've been around TW too much. During the third set, we already had threads bringing up rafa's injury last year and how it affected roger's win, etc, etc, and more of robin being and overrated clown. I think I was just tired of those comments so it carried over here.
- never mind, I understand. It wasn't so very different in GM over here, and it looks like it will be going on till at least the Wimbly final.

Anathema

Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #386
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's true that players are getting written off too soon (and btw, also hyped up too much too soon), but I indeed have a hard time believing that Roger will be capable of getting back that #1 (I'd love to be proven wrong of course).

The signs for him to take the Sampras record after the AO were very good, as there were plenty of points for Roger to take up during the Spring, even more with a number of top players being injured/out of form. Unfortunately, he failed dramatically.
The situation is entirely different right now: Roger has tons of points to defend, while the injured players will be coming back at a certain point, and I expect Murray & Djokovic to try and pick up their forms as well. Not to mention Rafa of course, who, after today's match, has shown that he's fully back to business. And then we have young and upcoming players like Gulbis, Cilic, etc...

Nope, I think Roger blew his chances this year for the reasons summed up so well by ApproachShot. Some of those reasons he of course had no influence on (his lung infection), but others... apparently I was completely right about my fears of him skipping MC, and it cost him dearly.

There is, however, one thing we shouldn't forget: if Rafa hadn't become injured last year, handing over the #1 position back to Roger, we wouldn't even have held this discussion to start with.
Roger has plenty records already, I'd say, let Sampy keep this one.
well i don't see it a bad thing for other ppl like murray/djokovic and upcoming players... both federer AND nadal are going to play them.... so the coin is fair... they can be as much threat to nadal as to federer... so luck is going to play a bigger role on the draws and see who they are drawn to. these ppl can take away as much points from nadal as federer... if lady luck shines on federer... then nadal may well be losing alot of points... giving federer a good opportunity window to regain #1....

also i don't see nadal's injuries only as "bad luck" ... it's also contributed by his style of play and him not getting any younger either... afterall fitness is part and parcel of the game... so this plus the other factors can only leads to more likelyhood of changes at #1 position...

i'd say that federer chances are over when i see him fall outside of top 3 or maybe even top 2...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #387
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reasonably hopeful he can get another 2 weeks at Number One before he retires. Agassi was Number 1 in his thirties, after all, & Nadal is a) injury prone & b) vulnerable off clay to a number of players.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #388
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

ALLEZZZZZZZZ Roger!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #389
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

The only reasonable way Federer can get it back before the Australian Open 2011 is by winning Wimbledon+US open+ a MS and Nadal returning to his level of the second half of 2009. I don't think this will happen.

He may take #1 back later, if:
1) Nadal has a bad clay season in 2011, losing most of his clay-5k
2) Other, young players stay sufficiently inconsistent.

It won't happen during the next 52 weeks, I'm afraid, if Nadal doesn't get injured. Therefore Federer has to start from scratch building up new points, starting now.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #390
country flag Massimoexp

Massimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond repute

is roger currently at 283 or 285 weeks at the moment ?
Massimoexp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote