The most #1 record reached thread - Page 25 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #361
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The countdown to screwing up the most #1 record thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunahielo View Post
If Soderling happens to win RG...How does that affect the ranking points?
simple... rafa wins... rafa is #1... rafa lose... roger keeps #1 and will break sampras record.... but nadal is very likely to take #1 after wimbledon anyway.... and halle/queens wouldn't make any difference in either way...

it's funny that now most federer fans will cheer for soderling -- the person who denied federer's 24th consecutive GS SF -- in the finals with nadal... i'd have mostly cheered for nadal when he was not at #2 position.... but now...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #362
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackykid View Post
it's funny that now most federer fans will cheer for soderling -- the person who denied federer's 24th consecutive GS SF -- in the finals with nadal... i'd have mostly cheered for nadal when he was not at #2 position.... but now...
I have difficulty determining who to cheer for.

If Soderling wins, Fed will have the #1 record, and his 2009 win in the final will look even better with Soderling being a RG champion himself, over Nadal no less. Also the 12-1 H2H is even more impressive. On the other hand, Nadal's place as one of the best clay courters in history is being (slightly) undermined by 2 consecutive RG losses.

If Nadal wins, Fed remains the only one to beat Nadal in a slam final or a clay final. Nadal will keep confidence and probably win another few slams (including RG) the coming years. Nadal will go down as an alltime great and perhaps the best clay courter ever. Fed's clay legacy relies on having had to fase one of the alltime best clay courters. It makes the 4 RG losses to Nadal more respectable.

Edit: that said, emotionally i know i will cheer for Soderling. but if he loses, i will not be too disappointed.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #363
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
Edit: that said, emotionally i know i will cheer for Soderling.
I will, too.

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #364
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

GOD Please Bless Roger play his Best tennis in grass season!!

ALLEZZZZZZZZZZZ Roger!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #365
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

The record is gone for sure now. There's no way Soderling is coming back to win this match.

I'm virtually positive that Federer won't get the record in the long run either. This year is already out of the question, he's not getting any younger and the surface logic heavily favours Nadal (given that he completely dominates clay, while all the top players share the points outside of clay).
Old 06-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #366
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The no thanks to screwing up the most #1 record thread

final update to thread... record is over... roger just came 1 week short of the record... could have been a much different story had he played MC i feel...

regards,
wacky
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #367
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

Roger deserved to lose that top spot in my book. His form since the AO final has not been worthy of a World No 1 - as sad as it is to say this.
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #368
country flag holagirl56

holagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
The record is gone for sure now. There's no way Soderling is coming back to win this match.

I'm virtually positive that Federer won't get the record in the long run either. This year is already out of the question, he's not getting any younger and the surface logic heavily favours Nadal (given that he completely dominates clay, while all the top players share the points outside of clay).
Really? I think Roger would definitely make one last huge push to get that last 2 weeks to break the record. Plus, next year, he'll have this huge stretch from after Australia to the French of virtually 0 points to defend. (Although defending Australia will be another beast entirely...)
holagirl56 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #369
country flag wackykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by holagirl56 View Post
Really? I think Roger would definitely make one last huge push to get that last 2 weeks to break the record. Plus, next year, he'll have this huge stretch from after Australia to the French of virtually 0 points to defend. (Although defending Australia will be another beast entirely...)
i agree too... even if he doesn't clinch YE #1... his break will come in next yr clay season if he has sufficient points by then... and does a better job than the pityful job this yr... and with the clean sweep this yr... nadal will be powerless to stop him as he can't gain anything else unless he plays barcelona and wins everything...

we'll have to see how nadal performs rest of this yr... if he do as well as 2008 then his #1 spot should be well untouchable even next yr... but if federer able to win wimbledon + usopen... there is still a good chance he can regain YE #1....

regards,
wacky
Old 06-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #370
country flag Eden
#Hopp Suisse

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't meant to be, but who knows if he will get another chance to get the record one day? And even if he doesn't - did Pete ever had to compete with a player like Rafa? Rafa could have been #1 long ago with the amount of points he had in previous seasons.

Roger will surely be the 1st one to congratulate Rafa for his victory and getting the #1.

It's a bit disappointing that Roger couldn't take part of the current situation in tennis, with Davydenko and Del Potro being out injured, Murray and Djokovic struggling. Now the losses against Baghdatis and Berdych after having MPs hurt a bit.

On the other hand - Roger won a GS title this year and his 2 favourite Grand Slams are yet to be played. So it's still a season 99% of the other players of the tour would like to have.

We all knew that Rafa would have the good opportunity to make up for the lost points of last year. Now he is in the leading position again and the other players can "hunt" him
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #371
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute

I too think that the chance for breaking the record might be gone for good. Nadal has an awful lot of points to pick up at Wimbledon and the World Tour Finals. Plus I wouldn't bet against him putting on a dominant performance on clay next year either. Also, as BlueSwan mentioned, outsiide clay the points in Masters touraments are likely to be shared amongst top players...including Nadal.

In retrospect Federer only missed this record by a whisker. Things could have been so different if:
  • He had taken the match after being 2 points away from victory against Del Potro at the US Open
  • He had taken the match after being 2 points away from victory against Davydenko at WTF
  • He hadn't contracted a lung infection prior to the Dubai tournament
  • He had converted match points against Baghdatis and Berdych at Indian Wells and Miami respectively
  • He converted break point opportunities against Nadal in Madrid
  • Federer entered Monte Carlo
  • Nadal had withdrawn from Madrid, as some rumours appeared to suggest
  • A fit Del Potro / Davydenko could have won a match against Nadal on clay
  • Becker didn't gift Sampras the year end number 1 in 1998
  • Federer didn't make early exits in Cincy against Simon, Canada against Karlovic and the Olympics against Blake in 2008
    ...or in Montreal against Tsonga and in Paris against Bennetau in 2009
    ...or in Rome against Gulbis in 2010
  • Federer finshed ahead of Roddick at the end of 2003

But of course all these are irrelevant now. What matters is he picks himself up from this and pursue his main goal: winning more Grand Slam tournaments. Because by the time when all is said and done and the currently active players retire, Nadal (barring further injuries) may well be considered the second greatest player of all time.

Good luck Roger.

Last edited by ApproachShot : 06-06-2010 at 05:34 PM.
ApproachShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #372
country flag wackykid

well we did give up on roger back in 2008 after losing no.1?? i myself is one of the culprits too then... but in the end nadal got all those injuries and roger picked himself up... although not reaching to the level before... but still above everyone else... and suddenly ppl are giving up on nadal...

now we have just completed an entire cycle again... so this time i am not giving up on roger yet... because nadal for wat u know... his body may yet tire out again and injuries may catch up with him again...

but as far as lesson i've learnt is... u never know what may happen next... nadal i don't think is likely to be as consistent as fed 2004-06 ever... else by the end of his career he may well overtake roger as GOAT.... so as long as he doesn't get as consistent... there will still be chances as long as roger continue to deliver his slams too (and do decently in masters)...

regards,
wacky
Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #373
country flag crude oil

crude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond reputecrude oil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
dont be so sure...tennis changes very quickly.

confidence is a big thing.

Nadal is riding a huge wave now. But all that needs to happen is for him to get beaten up once on grass, and then meet some of his foes on hard courts...and he will be back to square one.

Vice versa, federer is a huge favorite on grass and while he is vulnerable against the true elite guys - roddick, murray, nadal. He still is the best on grass. I dont think fed is that washed up - he needs to put in the work though. His body and mind are still able to make another push to #1. The question is how much motivation he has to put the work in. I do think his motivation is waning - this doesnt show up as effort in matches but it does show up in not practicing hard etc.
crude oil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #374
country flag Eden
#Hopp Suisse

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crude oil View Post
dont be so sure...tennis changes very quickly.

confidence is a big thing.

Nadal is riding a huge wave now.
Exactly. Let's not forget that just a few weeks ago he won his first tournament since nearly one year ago.

People on GM here are quick to write people off, first it has been Roger, then Rafa, now probably Roger again.

It's true that Roger gets older and things won't get any easier, but he was always able to come back after huge disappointments. Maybe it's exactly the motivation he needs to "hunt" Rafa now to get back the #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crude oil View Post

Vice versa, federer is a huge favorite on grass and while he is vulnerable against the true elite guys - roddick, murray, nadal. He still is the best on grass.
Well, we have seen that the matches against Nadal on grass have been really difficult in 2007 and 2008 ( ) and last year he had to play 5 sets against Roddick.

Rafa will going with all the confidence from the past weeks into the Wimbledon tournament. It has to be seen how Murray will handle the pressure of winning his home slam and Roddick has shown at the US Masters earlier this year that you can never count him out.

Söderling and Berdych are taking the next week off and will be fresh for Wimbledon. They can be dangerous on grass as well.

It will be interesting to see the draw for the tournament this year.
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #375
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
People on GM here are quick to write people off, first it has been Roger, then Rafa, now probably Roger again.

It's true that Roger gets older and things won't get any easier, but he was always able to come back after huge disappointments. Maybe it's exactly the motivation he needs to "hunt" Rafa now to get back the #1?
It's true that players are getting written off too soon (and btw, also hyped up too much too soon), but I indeed have a hard time believing that Roger will be capable of getting back that #1 (I'd love to be proven wrong of course).

The signs for him to take the Sampras record after the AO were very good, as there were plenty of points for Roger to take up during the Spring, even more with a number of top players being injured/out of form. Unfortunately, he failed dramatically.
The situation is entirely different right now: Roger has tons of points to defend, while the injured players will be coming back at a certain point, and I expect Murray & Djokovic to try and pick up their forms as well. Not to mention Rafa of course, who, after today's match, has shown that he's fully back to business. And then we have young and upcoming players like Gulbis, Cilic, etc...

Nope, I think Roger blew his chances this year for the reasons summed up so well by ApproachShot. Some of those reasons he of course had no influence on (his lung infection), but others... apparently I was completely right about my fears of him skipping MC, and it cost him dearly.

There is, however, one thing we shouldn't forget: if Rafa hadn't become injured last year, handing over the #1 position back to Roger, we wouldn't even have held this discussion to start with.
Roger has plenty records already, I'd say, let Sampy keep this one.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote