The most #1 record reached thread - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #346
country flag Apophis

Apophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond reputeApophis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The countdown to screwing up the most #1 record thread

Some extra worries for whoever needs them:

Djokovic is starting to become a serious threat again to Federer's top 2 ranking streak after Wimbledon. This streak started November 17, 2003 and may be one of his most impressive records. It is guaranteed to extend to 346 weeks (mid-Wimbledon). In the 2008 year end rankings Djokovic was only 10 points behind Federer!

As for now, Djokovic will have 6165 points after Wimbledon, plus anything he gains in RG (by winning QF or even more) Queens(does he play?) and Wimbledon. Federer will have 6390 after Wimbledon, plus anything he gains at Halle and Wimbledon. This means that, if Djokovic loses in the RG semis to Nadal (the most likely scenario), Federer must outperform Djokovic on grass to stay ahead of Djokovic. This should be no problem though, normally.
Apophis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #347
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
As for now, Djokovic will have 6165 points after Wimbledon, plus anything he gains in RG (by winning QF or even more) Queens(does he play?) and Wimbledon. Federer will have 6390 after Wimbledon, plus anything he gains at Halle and Wimbledon. This means that, if Djokovic loses in the RG semis to Nadal (the most likely scenario), Federer must outperform Djokovic on grass to stay ahead of Djokovic. This should be no problem though, normally.
Yes, I already noticed that... it shows all the more how fast things can change. Nothing is ever a 'given', even the more because, in contrary to popular opinion, Djokovic CAN play on grass - he's already made a Queens- and a Halle-final. There are quite a few contendors for the grass titles out there now, too, it's not just the FedalDick-story anymore.

Brrr. Thanks for the nightmare.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #348
country flag recessional

recessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond reputerecessional has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know if i'd really mind that much if fed dropped to #3. it might give him some extra motivation to do well in the smaller tournaments.

of course, i say that now, but i'll probably break something if he does drop to #3.
recessional is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #349
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

may be Roger will lost his NO.1 next, but so what? He can get it again!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #350
country flag Massimoexp

Massimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post

Djokovic is starting to become a serious threat again to Federer's top 2 ranking streak after Wimbledon. This streak started November 17, 2003 and may be one of his most impressive records. It is guaranteed to extend to 346 weeks (mid-Wimbledon). In the 2008 year end rankings Djokovic was only 10 points behind Federer!

djokovic was eliminated by melzer
however, Federer has no chance for this record ......
Massimoexp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #351
country flag EternalxJourney

EternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond reputeEternalxJourney has a reputation beyond repute

why is everyone so worried about this record? if he doesn't break it now, i fully believe roger can come back and regain his #1 ranking in the near future.
EternalxJourney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #352
country flag Roamed

Roamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond reputeRoamed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalxJourney View Post
why is everyone so worried about this record? if he doesn't break it now, i fully believe roger can come back and regain his #1 ranking in the near future.
Good attitude to have

And even if he doesn't, although I probably wouldn't have said this had he achieved it, it's not the most impressive record in the world given that it also depends on the performance of your peers. Roger had the largest weighted ranking lead percentage at some point I think, anyway. In some ways losing it could be indicative of the strength of the competition (basically Rafa)! And at the end of the day, it's only one week's difference. Sampras may have this record but having held it for five and a half years is the most important thing, not whether anyone has held it for slightly longer I feel.
Will Federer regain the #1 spot and break Sampras's record for most weeks at the top?

Roger // Rafa // Raonic // Söderling // Goffin // Ivo // Wawrinka // Baker // Delpo
Roamed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #353
country flag fnuf7

fnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond reputefnuf7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by recessional View Post
i don't know if i'd really mind that much if fed dropped to #3. it might give him some extra motivation to do well in the smaller tournaments.

of course, i say that now, but i'll probably break something if he does drop to #3.
Indeed, personally at this stage in his career I'm not worried about Roger's ranking if it isn't #1. I mean if it isn't #1 then I don't care if it's #2, #3, 4, 20, 58...etc...if it's not #1 then I don't really care what it is. I completely accept that he won't be #1 all the time til the day he retires & I expect he will someday start to go down the rankings as he gets older & loses more often even at slams etc, but once he isn't #1 then it doesn't really matter to me what actual ranking he holds. Hopefully for a while it'll still be within reach of gaining #1 back at some point but overall at that point I'd just be looking at specific performances at important times of the year ie:slams & not placing much importance on general yearly performance for ranking. I mean if one year he finished a year not ranked 1 or 2 but won Wimbledon, I'd be happy. I still think he has a few more years left fighting for & around #1 so we're not quite at this stage yet, I don't think anyway, but one day down the line it'll be like that (maybe when he's in his 30s - assuming he keeps with his plan of playing to mid30s). Kind of like how Agassi was in his last years, not #1 but always a threat to the top players & someone you wouldn't want to play.

Roger Federer

Always a fan, no matter what
fnuf7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #354
country flag Commander Data

Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
may be Roger will lost his NO.1 next, but so what? He can get it again!!
definitly! I'm pretty relaxed about the record because I'm very confident that Fed will get the No.1 back anyway and surpass Pete.

- Magnus Carlsen
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #355
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Data View Post
definitly! I'm pretty relaxed about the record because I'm very confident that Fed will get the No.1 back anyway and surpass Pete.
It's not that easy and it's actually highly unlikely he gets it back until after the USO, maybe in China. For Federer to get back the #1, he would have to win both Wimbledon and the USO, do well in Canada and Cincy, and have Nadal not win any titles and lose in at least a few SF's and QF's. Even then, Federer can only get a few hundred points on Nadal.

There's a 90% chance that Nadal will end the year at #1.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #356
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
There's a 90% chance that Nadal will end the year at #1.

OK...optimist me is wishing for that 10% chance.But Que sera, sera...................

Luna

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #357
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunahielo View Post

OK...optimist me is wishing for that 10% chance.But Que sera, sera...................

Luna
It's correct, and it's well-deserved to Rafa.

Roger threw in his own windows with that absymal Spring season performance of his.

Anathema

Old 06-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #358
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
It's correct, and it's well-deserved to Rafa.

Roger threw in his own windows with that absymal Spring season performance of his.
The two early losses in IW and Miami hurt his chances as far as surpassing Pete for the all-time number of weeks at #1 goes since he had s small window of opportunity to get there , but as for #1 at season's end, it's just been Nadal's dominant play on clay. If he wins against Soderling, Nadal will have amassed 5000 points on clay (two slam titles and a slam runner-up is worth 5200 points for comparison's sake) , a huge, HUGE total to overcome. The only way such a huge clay point total can be overcome by some other player is if they amass a nice chunk of points on clay (1500+) and then do very, very well on hard and grass courts, something Federer has done the past 6 years. Doing well at some tournaments and then not at others isn't good enough when going up against 5000 clay season chunk of points.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #359
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
The two early losses in IW and Miami hurt his chances as far as surpassing Pete for the all-time number of weeks at #1 goes since he had s small window of opportunity to get there , but as for #1 at season's end, it's just been Nadal's dominant play on clay. If he wins against Soderling, Nadal will have amassed 5000 points on clay (two slam titles and a slam runner-up is worth 5200 points for comparison's sake) , a huge, HUGE total to overcome. The only way such a huge clay point total can be overcome by some other player is if they amass a nice chunk of points on clay (1500+) and then do very, very well on hard and grass courts, something Federer has done the past 6 years. Doing well at some tournaments and then not at others isn't good enough when going up against 5000 clay season chunk of points.
Thanks Alex. It was obvious already to me that Roger threw away his chances during this year's Spring season. There's a 4000-points swing at stake at Wimbledon alone, and your post only adds more weight to 'what's up'.

I will make a claim here: If Roger manages to get the YE #1 ranking this year, I will fangirl Almugro till at least 2012.

Seriously: whatever. Roger has already made his mark, anything else he'll be able to add to his tally, are just cherries on the cake.

Anathema

Old 06-06-2010, 04:41 AM   #360
country flag lunahielo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond reputelunahielo has a reputation beyond repute

If Soderling happens to win RG...How does that affect the ranking points?

Seat #19 on the Federer Express
lunahielo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote