Are Spaniards white? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Spaniards white?

First of all, for the love of all that's worthy please keep racism out of here.

I've had the chance to travel a lot and talk to many people from many places, and I've had many puzzling experiences regarding my nationality and race. Although in Europe I've never found anyone who didn't regard me as member of the white race (granted I don't go around asking), when I was in the US I was approached three times by three different people who after I told them I was Spanish went "oh really? but... but you look white." Rather puzzling that was... maybe our American friends can comment on this.

Anyway seeing as this is a very international place, I'd like to know what the perception is regarding the racial classification of Spaniards in your country.

Again, please keep this civil...

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
country flag miura

miura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Spaniards white?

Yes you are white. And you talk to much.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miura View Post
Yes you are white. And you talk to much.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
country flag Andresito

Andresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond reputeAndresito has a reputation beyond repute

Spain and Argentina are very similar in ethnic composition.

We not enter on "black" or "asian" gender, but we're not 100% "white" either.

I think "latin" is the name closest to reality.

Anyway, please try to not use the word race. Millions of years have passed, so today is nearly impossible to encounter someone "100% pure".

Argentum Virtus Robur et Studium
Andresito is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
country flag jonathancrane

jonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond reputejonathancrane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strunz View Post
First of all, for the love of all that's worthy please keep racism out of here.

I've had the chance to travel a lot and talk to many people from many places, and I've had many puzzling experiences regarding my nationality and race. Although in Europe I've never found anyone who didn't regard me as member of the white race (granted I don't go around asking), when I was in the US I was approached three times by three different people who after I told them I was Spanish went "oh really? but... but you look white." Rather puzzling that was... maybe our American friends can comment on this.

Anyway seeing as this is a very international place, I'd like to know what the perception is regarding the racial classification of Spaniards in your country.

Again, please keep this civil...

3 rednecks

And yes, we're white (mainly)
jonathancrane is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
country flag clandis

clandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond reputeclandis has a reputation beyond repute

I think you ran into three ignorant people. I never thought of Spaniards as black, and I don't really know why it would matter. What part of the US were you traveling?
clandis is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

White is an American social construct. Yes spaniards are caucasian, caucasoid or something in between.

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
country flag tedlesurfeur

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

The very thread title is misleading :

You're trying to match a Nationality to an Ethnicity, which is quite dumb in my opinion.
It's as if you were saying "are Americans white?" or "Are South Africans black?"

So, the answer, which you could have found by yourself, is very simple:
Yes there are white spaniards.
Some of them aren't, because they're black, or arab.
I'd say a consequent amount of the spanish population stems from interbreeding.
tedlesurfeur is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #9

tedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond reputetedlesurfeur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslam77 View Post
Yes spaniards are caucasian, caucasoid or something in between.
Wrong. Just as I said.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is because there are many people here (stupidly enough) that view Spanish as exactly the same as Mexican - or any other Latin American origin. And since people from Latin America are called "latino" by many people here they assume you should have that kind of look and call yourself that.. Hate to hear things like this because it just reinforces what others think of our country..
ad-out is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlesurfeur View Post
Wrong. Just as I said.
No i think it's obvious we are talking about ethnic spaniards that have adapted there at least few centuries. We aren't talking about nationality...i can understand that's the American and Latin American view. Not the euro view of things.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslam77 View Post
No i think it's obvious we are talking about ethnic spaniards that have adapted there at least few centuries. We aren't talking about nationality...i can understand that's the American and Latin American view. Not the euro view of things.
I don't understand what you're saying.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
country flag Snoo Foo

Snoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond reputeSnoo Foo has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what they were thinking (you should have asked the people who said it) but my guess is they meant that you don't look like the stereotypical US image of a Spaniard: dark-haired, dark-eyed, darker skinned (Rafa, Antonio Banderas, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz).

Also in the US there is a common misconception that latino/hispanic is a discrete "race" and since you don't look like their idea of a latino (again, dark) or their idea of a black person or their idea of an Asian person, you "look white" by default.
Snoo Foo is offline View My Blog!  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
country flag superslam77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlesurfeur View Post
I don't understand what you're saying.
You said that he is trying to match nationality to ethnicity and classify it as wrong. well you know that is the case in most of europe or any other place that has an ethnic or stabilized population. For americans it's just nationality(they are a country made of inmigrants).

So what i'm saying is: "you know we are talking about the majority".

Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
country flag superslam77

btw i could say that arab is not a race but a nationality(So in that case how is an arab a spaniard) Arabs have like 7 ethnicities including Caucasians. All very subjective and misleading like you said.

Closed Thread