What would satisfy the haters? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
country flag Fed=ATPTourkilla

Fed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would satisfy the haters?

What would Fed have to do to persuade them that he's the GOAT? It seems to me that they want to rig the argument against the guy:

Federer loses ---> Proof that he sucks

Federer wins easily ---> Proof of a weak era, he sucks

Federer wins after a struggle ---> Lucky, the Slam fell into his lap, he sucks

Let's look at his career.

- When he was barely out of nappies he beat Sampras at Wimbledon and bagelled Agassi.

- He then easily crushed his own era, destroying the careers of Roddick and Hewitt (the latter having dominated Sampras).

- Now he's breezing past guys much younger than him.

So we seem to be talking about THREE "weak eras" here, not just one.

Yes, he's had a few problems with Nadal. Well, quite a lot of problems actually. But who's perfect? Not Nadal himself, who always loses to the same players who get dominated by Fed. And not dull ballbasher Sampras either.

So the question is: What does Federer have to do for you guys to stop hating on his achievements?
Fed=ATPTourkilla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would satisfy the haters?

He should stop killing the ATP Tour with his consistency and passion for the game.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
country flag RogerFan82

RogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome post. That SetSampras guy is pathetic with his arguments in trying to belittle federer in another thread.

When a guy who is 28 looks like he hardly broke a sweat after 3 reasonably long sets in heavy conditions and the 222year old looks winded, one should know you are seeing a genius at work.

WHAT A LEGEND ROGER IS

Spartan Rog

Slam No: 18 is coming soon.

RogerFan82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Federer will ultimately go down in history as the GOAT.

Don't pay much attention to MTF.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
country flag Acer

Acer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond reputeAcer has a reputation beyond repute

The haters will be satisfied once he stops winning and guess what Federer just ain't giving them that
Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
country flag Jōris

Jōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond reputeJōris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFan82 View Post
When a guy who is 28 looks like he hardly broke a sweat after 3 reasonably long sets in heavy conditions and the 222year old looks winded
Almost unnatural, one could say.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
country flag bobrocks

bobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond reputebobrocks has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see Nadal back healthy for the FO and Fed beat him in the final. That might finally shut the Fedbashers up, once and for all.
bobrocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Federer has played against 3 different generations (if you can call them that) and killed them all. Nothing will ever satisfy the haters. If Sampras had been a GOAT Becker, Agassi and whoever else played in the 90's would have won far fewer slams but because his only talent was serving and volleying that was never going to happen. Sampras fans are beyond pathetic. Jealousy is a disease.
Allez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
country flag Bazooka

Bazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond reputeBazooka has a reputation beyond repute

For me, he already is.

Now taking out a fit Nadal in RG would be a bonus for him, but not really essential anymore. He can be greater, he hasn't been 100% perfect, because no one is. But the discussion wether there is someone in the Open Era with greater achievements is dead months ago, I think. And comparing him to Rosewall, Laver or Gonzalez is silly.
Quote:
The inhabitants of the Balearic Islands are said to have been the inventors of slings, and to have managed them with surprising dexterity, owing to the manner of bringing up their children. The children were not allowed to have their food by their mothers till they had first struck it with their sling.
~Vegetius, De Re Militari, late 4th century
Nadal: the last Balearic Slinger, the ultimate product of natural selection. Feel the weight of the centuries in the Topspin from Hell!
Bazooka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
country flag jasmin

jasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond reputejasmin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care. It's funny watching the hatred sometimes. They are really just hurt individuals looking for some way to feel better.

Last edited by jasmin : 01-31-2010 at 09:08 PM.
jasmin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
country flag Fed=ATPTourkilla

Fed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond reputeFed=ATPTourkilla has a reputation beyond repute

As someone said - it must really, really suck following tennis and being a Fed hater. Especially when he hits a patch of bad form and gets your hopes up that he's done - but then, oh no, he's back again winning yet more Slams. I suppose you have the consolation that it can't go on forever.
Fed=ATPTourkilla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
country flag manuel84

manuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond reputemanuel84 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFan82 View Post
Awesome post. That SetSampras guy is pathetic with his arguments in trying to belittle federer in another thread.
His posts concerning Roger in the past were pretty much level-headed. Watch him when Fed passes Pete for most weeks at #1.
manuel84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So we seem to be talking about THREE "weak eras" here, not just one.
4, or perhaps 5.

Sampras/Agassi (1968-1972)

Rafter/Moya (1973-1977)

Federer/Hewitt/Roddick/Safin (1978-1982)

Nadal/Djokovic/Murray (1983-1987)

Del Potro (1988-1992).

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Keep winning.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
country flag sawan66278

sawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond reputesawan66278 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer, even in the eyes of someone like myself who feels he's a bullying ego maniac, cannot deny: Federer is BY FAR the best player of all time...achievement-wise. When ranking the top players of all time, there are many factors and things to consider, but after all is said and done: Federer is #1. Case closed.

What would satisfy me would be humility and not resorting to gamesmanship and cheating toward the end of his amazing career.

Roland Garros 2010: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Quote:
"If going to the ledge so often, both mentally and physically, shaves a couple years off of Rafael Nadal's career, so be it. Because of him, and because of his performances in matches like this, we've gotten to see just how far the sport can push a man"

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/4...f95a57d421.gif
sawan66278 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote