Why is no one ever clutch? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
country flag Demiloy

Demiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond reputeDemiloy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is no one ever clutch?

Every time a player comes back from being down a set or two to win (eg Federer, many times in Grand Slams), the automatic MTF response is that the loser choked it away. Watching Andreev on set points in the third set yesterday, I can understand that is sometimes true...but I can't say I have ever seen someone say that the winner was simply clutch. This seems to fit in with the overal MTF logic that every player is a clown/joker/mug/etc.

Forgive my semi-rant, but what do you think?
Demiloy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is no one ever clutch?

people just dont like to see their favourite player lose so they blame it on a mental breakdown of some sort instead of just accepting that he wasnt good enough
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

It's mostly defensive/passive players who ARE clutch as they just wait for an error by a choker who's hit the lines all game except for big points.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

If someone was always clutch, they will always win
Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
country flag miura

miura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond reputemiura has a reputation beyond repute

This is MTF, home of the uneducated haters. What do you expect? 90% of what you read in a match thread is utter bullshit anyway.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

People do seem to cry choke very often. A lot of the time they are right but I don't blame the athletes as so much (prize money, sponsorship, ranking points etc) depends on some very important points in matches. I didn't see it but apparently Muller's quarter-final run at the 2008 US Open was clutch (and the score lines certainly back that up). Federer's match point save in the fourth set of the 2008 Wimbledon final was definitely clutch too because Nadal played a very solid point.
n8 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Nadal was infuriatingly clutch saving break points in the 2007 Roland Garros final. Federer was pretty clutch against most players at his peak.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
country flag Commander Data

Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiloy View Post
Every time a player comes back from being down a set or two to win (eg Federer, many times in Grand Slams), the automatic MTF response is that the loser choked it away. Watching Andreev on set points in the third set yesterday, I can understand that is sometimes true...but I can't say I have ever seen someone say that the winner was simply clutch. This seems to fit in with the overal MTF logic that every player is a clown/joker/mug/etc.

Forgive my semi-rant, but what do you think?
I agree.

- Magnus Carlsen
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossie View Post
people just dont like to see their favourite player lose so they blame it on a mental breakdown of some sort instead of just accepting that he wasnt good enough
I agree on this for the most, but not in every case. At times it should be possible to just admit that an opponent choked against a fav player of yours. I personally have no difficulty in admitting that I think Andreev at least choked for a bit against Federer yesterday, just like Almagro's most recent loss against Nadal was a choke job as well.
It doesn't take anything away from the fact that in both cases my favs managed to pull out the victory eventually.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
country flag ossie

ossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond reputeossie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie the Cat View Post
I agree on this for the most, but not in every case. At times it should be possible to just admit that an opponent choked against a fav player of yours. I personally have no difficulty in admitting that I think Andreev at least choked for a bit against Federer yesterday, just like Almagro's most recent loss against Nadal was a choke job as well.
It doesn't take anything away from the fact that in both cases my favs managed to pull out the victory eventually.
i agree there are exceptions but i think the definition of the word 'choke' where no credit is given at all to the winner is used far too often on mtf than it should. most players choke on their opponents not inside their heads
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
country flag DorianGray7

DorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond reputeDorianGray7 has a reputation beyond repute

That's because 99% of posters on MTF are total assholes who would die than admit that their favored player lost because he deserved to.

MTF is the best terrible representation of the sorry state of humanity we live in.

The only appropriate response to such scum is to be an asshole yourself and call them out on such ridiculous BS and verbally drag them out in the streets and kick them in the balls.
DorianGray7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote