Australian Open - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #91
country flag alisia

alisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open

1st set to David 6-4 against an injured Rafa
alisia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #92
country flag alisia

alisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond reputealisia has a reputation beyond repute

David won 6-4 6-2 6-3 & will play Murray in the semi-final
Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #93
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute

Vamooooos! Now to your first final!
Ad Wim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #94
country flag FerrersLinda

FerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond reputeFerrersLinda has a reputation beyond repute

Was on the couch half asleep. Not even awake enough to join Ali online.

But he won!!!!!!! Wooohoooo
FerrersLinda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #95
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Ferru, you deserved to win
Happy for you
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #96
country flag alisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrersLinda View Post
Was on the couch half asleep. Not even awake enough to join Ali online.

But he won!!!!!!! Wooohoooo
I wondered where you were

Can't believe I'm going to miss the semi so I'll have to leave him in your capable hands
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #97
country flag alisia

Ferrer Ends Nadal's Grand Dream

Seventh seed David Ferrer advanced to his second Grand Slam championship semi-final at the Australian Open on Wednesday, after he ended World No. 1 Rafael Nadal's quest to capture a fourth straight major title. Ferrer beat his fellow Spaniard, who was hindered by a left hamstring strain, 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 during the night session.

The 28-year-old Ferrer, who reached the 2007 US Open semi-finals, will next meet fifth seed and last year's runner-up Andy Murray on Friday. Ferrer has a 9-0 record this year, which included his title success at the Heineken Open in Auckland 11 days ago.

"I played very consistently all the three sets [and] I was focused just in my game," said Ferrer. "I'm very happy with my game. I'm very confident. So I want to enjoy this moment.

"I will try to do my best [against Murray], but I need to play very consistently, [stay] very focused all the match, because Andy's a top player."

Looking ahead to the semi-final, Nadal admitted, "[David] is playing fantastic. But I think he's not the favourite. But if he keep playing like this, hopefully he can have a good chance to be in the final or win the tournament. [He] is a fantastic person [and] a close friend of mine. So I wish him all the best."

Ferrer took Nadal to eight deuces in the second game of the first set, before he converted his second break point opportunity with a powerful forehand winner. Nadal immediately broke back, hitting an angled backhand winner with Ferrer at the net. But at 1-2 the 2009 titlist called for the trainer and left the court for five minutes.

On his return to the Rod Laver Arena, Ferrer sealed his second service break with a backhand winner down the line. It then became apparent, Nadal had strapping applied to his left thigh. The Mallorcan kept battling and broke Ferrer's serve for 4-5, but was noticeably in pain when shifting his weight to his left leg. Ferrer converted his third set point opportunity when Nadal hit a forehand into the tramlines.

Ferrer slipped to 0/40 in the third game of the second set and paid the price when he fired a backhand beyond the baseline. Any hope of a Nadal comeback ended at 2-1, when gifted Ferrer three break point opportunities. Nadal saved the first with his first ace of the match, but then hit a backhand into the net. When Ferrer led 3-2, both players headed to the locker room for 10 minutes due to the Australia Day fireworks in the Melbourne skyline over the banks of the Yarra River.

The break in play didn't help Nadal. His left hamstring had tightened up on a cool evening at Melbourne Park and upon their return to the court, Ferrer broke serve for a 4-2 lead when Nadal hit a forehand wide. Two games later, Ferrer clinched the second set with a backhand winner down the line.

It was one-way traffic in the third set with Ferrer completing his third straight hold for love for a 3-0 lead. Ferrer saved two break points at 3-1 with forehand winners and one break point at 4-2, 30/40 with a bullet serve out wide, before he clinched a semi-final berth with a hold to love to complete a two-hour and 33-minute victory.

"For respect to the winner and to a friend, I prefer to talk about the match," said Nadal at the start of his press conference. "I think he played at a very high level. I just congratulate him and wish him all the best for the semi-final. I think he's doing a fantastic tournament. If he keep playing like this, he's going to have a good chance.

"It is obvious that I didn't feel at my best. I had a problem during the match, [at] the very beginning. After that, the match was almost over. Today, I really [couldn't] do more than what I did. He played at a very high level, and I wasn't able to compete against him tonight."

Nadal had been bidding to become the first player to win four straight major championships since Rod Laver completed his second Grand Slam in 1969.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #98
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Could not stay up to watch but
Too bad about Rafa though.

EDIT: That was the first notice I read of the match Ali- thanks for posting it here. There is hope for me yet when I head to the ATP website for news instead of MTF Hoping the tennis channel has the replay while I am on a mini vacation this week!
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #99
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW this has been a great Aussie Open for me; new players to enjoy watching ( hope they keep it up!) and of course with David going so deep
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #100
country flag nalbyfan
Banned!

nalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond reputenalbyfan has a reputation beyond repute

He won all his matches in 2011....now he can win his 11th match...
Vamos Ferru, you can do it
nalbyfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #101
country flag Carol96

Carol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond reputeCarol96 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, I am soooo delighted, I could almost burst!!!!

David totally deserves this win, tinged with a bit of sadness as it is. And very concerned about Rafa apparently, like the decent guy he is... Respect, David

I'm sorry for Rafa and I think if it had been a weaker player than David, he could still have done it, as the match report stated: "While he may have been able to take out a less fleet or less accomplished foe in a similar condition, it was an impossible task against his friend and Davis Cup teammate Ferrer, who is nearly as fast and is relentless from inside the baseline."

I have loads of respect for Rafa as a player and a person and it is definitely in keeping that he fought on and didn't retire to gift David the win. I only hope he didn't make things worse. David kept the pressure up, pounced on everything and won fair and square. Some folks are just going to have to accept this (those who will say that D only won because Rafa was injured).

Yes, the underrated "little Spanish battler"* can play tennis.

*to quote the AO radio commies
Carol96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #102
country flag alisia

David's full post match interview, they are really trying to make something out of what they said to eachother at the net
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...046189217.html
Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #103
country flag ariel2

ariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol96 View Post
Firstly, I am soooo delighted, I could almost burst!!!!

David totally deserves this win, tinged with a bit of sadness as it is. And very concerned about Rafa apparently, like the decent guy he is... Respect, David

I'm sorry for Rafa and I think if it had been a weaker player than David, he could still have done it, as the match report stated: "While he may have been able to take out a less fleet or less accomplished foe in a similar condition, it was an impossible task against his friend and Davis Cup teammate Ferrer, who is nearly as fast and is relentless from inside the baseline."

I have loads of respect for Rafa as a player and a person and it is definitely in keeping that he fought on and didn't retire to gift David the win. I only hope he didn't make things worse. David kept the pressure up, pounced on everything and won fair and square. Some folks are just going to have to accept this (those who will say that D only won because Rafa was injured).

Yes, the underrated "little Spanish battler"* can play tennis.

*to quote the AO radio commies

Well said, Carol. I'm not bothering to go to the main forum to see what's being said about Rafa and David. Off topic but Nadal made a bad choice to play in exhibitions in Doha etc. He (or his handlers) just can't say no to the money he's getting to play there. And to his credit Rafa addressed his detractors by admitting that he doesn't like the image that every time he loses it's because of an injury. He's in a rough position vis a vis the media.

But all credit goes to David. Many players would have been distracted by playing against an injured foe (let alone if foe is good friend). But David played his aggressive tennis and stayed focused. His tenacity and intensity are why I follow him and what makes him one of the best playing today. That he's a kind, beautiful, sculpted, and bronzed athlete certainly doesn't detract from the overall package.

David handled Raonic's monster serve and net skill so that gives me hope for his match against Murray. Whatever, it's another shot at a major and my thoughts will be with him as I sweat and writhe through every point.

Last edited by ariel2 : 01-26-2011 at 03:54 PM.
ariel2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #104
country flag ariel2

ariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond reputeariel2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisia View Post
David's full post match interview, they are really trying to make something out of what they said to eachother at the net
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...046189217.html
That was more like an interrogation. They really hammered him on the chat between the two at the net. And in between the hammering they still have time to ask the obvious (you play a lot of matches, do you ever get tired? ) David always answers them straight and holds his ground.
ariel2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #105
country flag alisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel2 View Post
That was more like an interrogation. They really hammered him on the chat between the two at the net. And in between the hammering they still have time to ask the obvious (you play a lot of matches, do you ever get tired? ) David always answers them straight and holds his ground.
that's nothing compared to what they did to Rafa