movie stuff - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #46
country flag BigJohn
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
you should learn more about movies
Sir, you are the dbag who thinks Bad and Dangerous are some of the best records of all time. You idolize MJ because he is known by many people. Right now, you are wetting your undies because Avatar is making a lot of money.

Obviously, we have very different opinions about what quality means both in movies and music. What's next, you'll defend Pia Zadora GG too? Transformers II should get a BP nomination because it made a lot money also?

I should learn about movies? I do not pretend to know all about cinema and I am always glad to see a good story on screen. I have seen pretty much every Oscar BP winners since Gone with the Wind, so I think I have an informed opinion about Oscar winners.

Avatar won the best drama Globe because of last year's snub of the Dark Knight (DK is also better than Avatar) . If Avatar makes the cut as a BP nominee, it will only be because of that. Not because it is a good movie, it is not.

If you want to see a good Pocahontas Redux, forget Avatar. See Malick's The New World. But it is not simple, cliché, corny and flashy, so I doubt you'll like it.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #47
country flag Bilbo
Registered User
 
Bilbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lena-Land
Posts: 73,673
Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Sir, you are the dbag who thinks Bad and Dangerous are some of the best records of all time. You idolize MJ because he is known by many people.
Strange that I was a fan of his since I learned how to speak. You expected me to know at this point how big he was/became? That sounds highly unlikely to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Right now, you are wetting your undies because Avatar is making a lot of money.
Last time I checked I predicted Avatar to be the movie of the decade long time before it started It's written black on white here. You should probably buy some glasses before you start to criticize me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Obviously, we have very different opinions about what quality means both in movies and music. What's next, you'll defend Pia Zadora GG too? Transformers II should get a BP nomination because it made a lot money also?
Obviously you didn't understand anything especially about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Avatar won the best drama Globe because of last year's snub of the Dark Knight (DK is also better than Avatar) . If Avatar makes the cut as a BP nominee, it will only be because of that. Not because it is a good movie, it is not.
You just disqualified yourself. Thanks for coming.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #48
country flag BigJohn
Banned!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,825
BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
Strange that I was a fan of his since I learned how to speak. You expected me to know at this point how big he was/became? That sounds highly unlikely to me.
Are you denying you consider Bad and Dangerous to be some of the best albums of all time? Because that is a pretty stupid thing to say, and you're the one who said it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
You just disqualified yourself. Thanks for coming.
If I got disqualified from the Bilbo awards, I'm more than glad.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 AM   #49
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 14,229
buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
Last time I checked I predicted Avatar to be the movie of the decade long time before it started It's written black on white here. You should probably buy some glasses before you start to criticize me.


That would seem to be the whole mystery. Long before you knew anything about AVATAR you were having orgasms over the possibility it might make more money than any other movie. You don't seem interested in the quality of the movie at all, just how soon it will become the box office champ. You claim you are an expert on movies, but haven't offered a single comment on the actual movie, just how that big arrow on your bedroom wall keeps going up. Freud would have made you a case study.

If you read the first page of your Avatar thread, it is all about $$$$ - you have no interest at all in the quality.

On the first page you also claim that ALIEN is the best movie ever made. And you are telling others they don't know what they are talking about?
__________________
JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY

Last edited by buddyholly : 01-20-2010 at 04:27 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #50
Ivanatis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,411
Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

9 candidates for Best Foreign Language Movie:

Quote:
Argentina: "El Secreto de Sus Ojos"

Australia: "Samson & Delilah"

Bulgaria: "The World Is Big and Salvation Lurks around the Corner"

France: "Un Prophete"

Germany: "The White Ribbon"

Israel: "Ajami"

Kazakhstan: "Kelin"

The Netherlands: "Winter in Wartime"

Peru: "The Milk of Sorrow"
This list will be reduced to the five nominees on February 2.
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #51
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 14,229
buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

How could they leave out "THE MAID"?
__________________
JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #52
country flag Albop
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Osorno,Chile
Posts: 12,239
Albop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond reputeAlbop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
How could they leave out "THE MAID"?
It wasn't Chile's nomination :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
you should learn more about movies
lolz
Albop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #53
Ivanatis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,411
Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Only two movies from the Globes are the German winner film which is set on the eve of World War I and the French one. Looks to me as if The White Ribbon is the favourite now, after (to my surprise) not only The Maid, but also Almodóvar's Los abrazos rotos were left out.

What is most disappointing to me is that Swedish horror movie Låt den rätte komma in won't receive a nomination. It was not that surprising as the movie was released at the worst time possible, too late for last year's Academy awards and too early for this year's. But they would have found a way if they really wanted to, especially after the movie is nominated for a BAFTA award, which it will hopefully win.

http://www.bafta.org/awards/film/fil...ns,949,BA.html
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #54
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 14,229
buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albop View Post
It wasn't Chile's nomination :


Do the countries put up their own nominations? Didn't know that.
Makes sense, because I doubt any of the Academy voters would have a clue what to nominate. They only see the nominated movies.

But that still doesn't explain why THE MAID didn't get entered by whoever makes the choice in Chile.
__________________
JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #55
Ivanatis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14,411
Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Language_Film
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #56
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 14,229
buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Is there anything left in the universe that doesn't have a Wiki page?
__________________
JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #57
country flag Stensland
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

feeling kinda weird to defend bilbo (well, i'm not actually defending him) but "avatar" did actually rock. it's not about re-inventing the wheel of story-telling itself, sure, but this is one of the few huge pictures where one single man came up with a whole world. bear in mind that it's got nothing to do with all the graphic novels that usually get adapted for the big screen, including "the dark knight", the LOTR trilogy and pretty much every similar big popcorn flick over the last couple of decades.

while i don't think cameron should win the big awards, i do think a nomination is due. he invented something incredibly huge from cratch here, people should recognise him accordingly.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #58
country flag Bilbo
Registered User
 
Bilbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lena-Land
Posts: 73,673
Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
while i don't think cameron should win the big awards, i do think a nomination is due. he invented something incredibly huge from cratch here, people should recognise him accordingly.
shouldn't win? which other movie do you consider as better in 2009? i haven't seen one.

show me one director who was working harder and better than cameron in the last year. like you said, he created an own new world and made the most successful movie of all-time out of it. i don't see anyone who can compete with that.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #59
country flag Stensland
Registered User
 
Stensland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,227
Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

i haven't seen any other movie that's in the mix (and i'm certainly not going to because the plots sound unbelievably dull) so i don't know. again, the fact that he built stuff from scratch will make him a contender anyways but to me the storyline seems just way too unoriginal to be considered a frontrunner. take away the special effects and you get a mediocre (if that) sci-fi-thriller with vin diesel and megan fox.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #60
country flag Bilbo
Registered User
 
Bilbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lena-Land
Posts: 73,673
Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Road to the) Oscars 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
but to me the storyline seems just way too unoriginal to be considered a frontrunner. take away the special effects and you get a mediocre (if that) sci-fi-thriller with vin diesel and megan fox.
you haven't got the message from this movie then if this is the most important point for you. why take away the special effects? this is what the movie is based on, a 3d movie with new technologies. makes no sense to me thinking about that.
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios