Australian Open - Beat the Heat (and the field) - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #46
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Open - Beat the Heat (and the field)

I agree Scoobs I think he jarred it going for one of Flo's mental FHs!
I love it when he's forced to raise his game - just wish he had a serve
It looks really hot and sweaty out there!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #47
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

yeah nasty conditions, 33 degrees, overcast and humid.

whatever it was doesn't seem to be bothering him much at this point - after a couple of games where the first serve speed was well down, it's now creeping back up again and he just nailed a huge first serve to secure the 4-1 lead.

so my heart has calmed down a bit, but i'm keeping an eye on his demeanour and his play to see if there are any more effects.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #48
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost completely calm again now

Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 AM   #49
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah whatever it was, it in some strange way it seems to have helped him out because his focus and execution has been a good deal better since that point.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #50
country flag MsTree

I'm just about on the floor laughing at the slagging Flo's getting for that medical timeout for his "elbow injury"

Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #51
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

he didn't want it, of course, the umpire told him he had to take it because he was bleeding and then there's concerns about ballkids touching bloody towels, etc
Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #52
country flag MsTree

Ah OK I missed that due to the slagging

Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #53
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

Hmm.

75 61 64

He's through, straight sets, no sets conceded through to the fourth round.

However today was better behind serve, 55% but 14 aces too and better second serves. Yet, the ground game was less tidy today, more UEs than we're used to seeing, and the returning was dodgy at times, unusually. A couple odd blips - from being on the cusp of 4-0 in the first he was pegged back on serve, and struggled to finish the first set off. The second was one way traffic, then he did get 2 breaks in the third before dumping serve again, and from that point on it was a question of riding out the one remaining break

It's been good enough, but there's no more time now for things to be subpar - 4th round on is where you need to be bringing it. He may survive a 4th round not totally at 100% but no way after that, and he'd be far better playing his best tennis on sunday to even give himself a chance of a strong finish at this event
Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #54
country flag MsTree

Nice interview from Andy, he mentioned too that Flo didn't want to stop playing but the umpire made him.

Glad he's through that test

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #55
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Hmm.

75 61 64

He's through, straight sets, no sets conceded through to the fourth round.

However today was better behind serve, 55% but 14 aces too and better second serves. Yet, the ground game was less tidy today, more UEs than we're used to seeing, and the returning was dodgy at times, unusually. A couple odd blips - from being on the cusp of 4-0 in the first he was pegged back on serve, and struggled to finish the first set off. The second was one way traffic, then he did get 2 breaks in the third before dumping serve again, and from that point on it was a question of riding out the one remaining break

It's been good enough, but there's no more time now for things to be subpar - 4th round on is where you need to be bringing it. He may survive a 4th round not totally at 100% but no way after that, and he'd be far better playing his best tennis on sunday to even give himself a chance of a strong finish at this event
The dude is 9-0 in sets so far; and he has one "7-5 winning set" and everyone is saying "what about that first set in the third match; boy is he struggling!"

I just watched Del Pony fight his arse off and happy as hell to get a 7-5 4th set to finally take his third match.

Right now, Muzza, Kolya, Rafa and Tsonga are the only ones not to have to struggle on these slow hard courts. He is doing great! Congrats to Andy for a great tourney so far!
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #56
country flag Turquoise

Turquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond reputeTurquoise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Andy for the clinical displays in the first three rounds.

The lapses of concentration are not reflected in the scorelines - he's such an exceptional returner that he manages to recover from deficit situations. On Sunday, I hope he improves that first serve percentage. I have confidence that he can take the sting out of Isner's missiles. Stay healthy, treat those twinges and niggles and all the best for a great fourth round match.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #57
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

Yes he has not struggled through his first three rounds, for which I am glad, but which I would also expect given the calibre of opposition - Anderson, Gicquel and Serra are not names that strike fear into the heart of the top 10, nor should they be.

Maybe it seems harsh but to me Andy has no more than he really *should* have done by this point if he is going to be a serious contender for this title. He's had a cakewalk draw this far, frankly, and he's taken full advantage. Excellent. But he's not performed any extraordinary feats in order to do so.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #58
country flag Andi-M

Andi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond reputeAndi-M has a reputation beyond repute

Now Isner scares me slightly, If this was 3rd round I'd be like Andy will win, but cos its the dreaded 4th round I am more nervous.

Plus Isner is 8-0 in match wins in 2010 he'll be coming in with alot of confidence.

So very very proud to be a fan of Mr Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Double Grand slam champion. Olympic Gold Medalist. Holder of 9 Masters 1000 events # legend
Andi-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #59
country flag Betty

Betty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond reputeBetty has a reputation beyond repute

me too Rachel
2011=w/Corey F.:Auckland SF -Zagreb F -Wimbledon QF w/Dupuis2006 Nottingham W- w/acionescu Atlanta F
2010=w/Corey F. -Auckland F - w/Boarder35mNewport F -Tokyo F - w/acionescu Manerbio ch F-
2009 : (w/Corey F.) Washington W - Cordoba / Pozoblanco W - (w/Boarder35m)-Bordeaux W
TT Single 2012 O.G. SF Dubai W -Atlanta W Casablanca F 2011 Rabat , Metz F-Los Angeles W;2009 Todi ; Bergamo W -Wimbledon F -Karlsruhe F -Estoril SF;2008 = Tunica R., A.Seville SF

FORZA INTER
Betty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #60
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi-M View Post
Now Isner scares me slightly, If this was 3rd round I'd be like Andy will win, but cos its the dreaded 4th round I am more nervous.

Plus Isner is 8-0 in match wins in 2010 he'll be coming in with alot of confidence.
On the other hand, John did have a let-down match after a big win in his last slam. Remember after he beat Andy Roddick at the U.S. Open in the Third Round of the U.S. Open playing at his highest level? The next round Verdasco beat him pretty routinely 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 and he had been "hot" at that time too. Isner's career win-loss record in Grand Slams is 8-7 and the U.S. Open 2009 was his only venture into the Fourth Round. So meeting John in later rounds in a slam has not proven to be a "death blow" whatsoever.
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote