Marsel İlhan - Page 27 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #391
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marsel İlhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emir-t View Post
This is my first ever post to men's tennis. I am a fan of Marsel and as a turkish i am proud of him. Really proud. I follow and admire every match he plays. Yet i have a question if you will;

-Why doesn't Marsel play in bigger tournaments? I am new to following tennis this detailed. I have been following since April '10 or sth. I checked it out and for example Quarter final or semi final in ATP Bucharest gives more points than winning a challenger. And money is better also. Is there something you need to qualify for those tournaments?

Also i've figured out that Grand Slams>ATP World Tours>ATP Challengers.

is that correct?
This all depend on your rating on the tourney entry deadline date. There are a number of spots in main Draw and players are signing in, and players with better rankings can get into Main Draw. Marsel's ranking is not so good to get it.
For example, the last one who received direct entry to Bucharest is #92.

Marsel could play quallie there, but if he lost in quallie he could receive far less points than on Challengers.
If you are Top-50 - you are guaranteed ATP-250 Tourneys level player, players with lower rankings depend on Top players's schedule and withdrawals.
Even 80-s sometime need to play challengers.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #392
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

first of all welcome

Now for your question. Every atp tournament has an acceptance list and a cut off for that list. The cut offs are alot higher then where marsel is ranked so if he wanted to enter he'd need to get in as an alternate(which happens when players on the entry list withdraw and another player on the waiting list moves in to take their place). He could also play qualifying but you have to win 2 or 3 matches to get into the main draw. You do get points for qualifying but generally only around 8.

So marsel plays the challengers because he gets more points there then he would if he tried to qualify and couldnt. He is almost in the top 100 now and should be very soon so next year he will be able to play the ATP level tournaments.
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #393
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaKz View Post
This all depend on your rating on the tourney entry deadline date. There are a number of spots in main Draw and players are signing in, and players with better rankings can get into Main Draw. Marsel's ranking is not so good to get it.
For example, the last one who received direct entry to Bucharest is #92.

Marsel could play quallie there, but if he lost in quallie he could receive far less points than on Challengers.
If you are Top-50 - you are guaranteed ATP-250 Tourneys level player, players with lower rankings depend on Top players's schedule and withdrawals.
Even 80-s sometime need to play challengers.
oh damn you beat me to it
Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #394
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emir-t View Post

Also i've figured out that Grand Slams>ATP World Tours>ATP Challengers.

is that correct?
Yeah, you got a points.
I just can add:
Grand Slams>ATP Tourney>Challengers>Futures.
You start with Futures, when you get ranking enough for Challengers - you start play challengers etc.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #395
country flag DanaKz

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
oh damn you beat me to it
It's not bad to have 2 descriptions, make it clearer.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #396
country flag emir-t

emir-t is on a distinguished road

thank you very much for the descriptions. So let me get this straight. You apply for a tournament as a player and you are ranked 70 or sth. And they accept you, but they have two more days to accept applications. And a better player, around 30 applies and they take him and kick you out? Are they that cruel? How exactly does it work? Cause i am sure if Marsel played ATP Level directly from the main draw he could pass a tour or two which would be great.

Also a questoin about Marsel. What do you think of his future and potential? Is this all he has? Around ranks 80 or something. Or could he play quarter finals or semi finals on grand slams some day in the future? Or maybe even more? What do you think?
emir-t is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #397
country flag misty1
Banned!

i think marsel can do well on the atp tour, he could even win a title.

There are certainly players alot worse then him who have won and done well so no one better think that my saying he can win a title is rediculous.

as far as grand slams go i unfortunately dont ever see him winning one. I think he could make 3rd rounds, 4th rounds with the right kind of draw but thats probably it.

if i had to guess his highest ranking he'll ever get i'd say he'll max out in the 45-60 area.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #398
country flag emir-t

ok thanks, also what are these alternate players on the entry lists? Can you or anyone else explain how exactly it works? I asked that too in my previous post.

thank you very much
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #399
country flag misty1
Banned!

an alternate is basically a waiting list . So if someone who is entered into a tournament withdraws from the tournament then the first player on that alternate list moves into the main draw of the tournament and so on. If 5 players withdraw the top 5 players on the alternates list are moved into the main draw of the tournament.

sometimes even players on the alternates list withdraw and so players lower on the alternate list are moved into the main draw.

ex: if marsel were 7th an an alternate list for a tournament he would need 7 people to withdraw that were in the main draw and he would get into the tournament. But if, say the number 4 and 2 people on that alternate list withdrew marsel could get into the draw if only 5 players on the entry list withdrew.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #400
country flag Luinir

Luinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond repute

Marsel won 6-2 ret.

next: bohli/kunitsyn
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #401
country flag misty1
Banned!

marsel! top 100!

im so happy for him. Hopefully he can win his semi though and possibly the title so he can solidify his spot in the top 100 and not ben right on the edge
Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #402
country flag emir-t

hurraaaayy! Marsel in top 100!!!

His coach Can Uner said to me on Facebook that the next tournament is Tokyo ATP and Shanghai Masters after that, he's going ATP Level!!! Hope he can get pass a couple of tours so he can hold his space on top 100. Can he go directly on the main draw to those tournaments?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #403
country flag misty1
Banned!

sorry but i over reacted..because pablo andujar made the smis of the atp tournament so he's still not there. But if he wins this tournament he will be

he did play tokyo last year so he's going there to defend his points
Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #404
country flag Luinir

Luinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond reputeLuinir has a reputation beyond repute

misty, mathieu will lose 70 pts, so greul and mathieu out of top 100, andujar and marsel in.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #405
country flag misty1
Banned!

oh really? i only knew about andujar moving up i didnt know about mathieu and greul moving out

so i still have reason to be happy and i didnt over react

still i hope he can defeat bohli timmorrow to atleast add some more points to his rank and get in with a little bit of a blanket so that if he cant defend tokyo he wont fall out of the top 100 again