7.0 quake hits Haiti; could be 'catastrophe,' official says - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #61
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7.0 quake hits Haiti; could be 'catastrophe,' official says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
With all due respect, Cuba and Venezuela are a little closer to Haiti than Israel. The flight alone is probably like 16 hours.

I agree that Israel Propaganda has no business on this thread, but it goes both ways, if she was talking about another country's efforts, you wouldn't have said anything.

(and the organ comment was uncalled for, re-stating a known lie for the sake of a cheap shot?)
again so what? Israel is a lot richer, than Cuba or Venezuela.

It's not the point. Countries all over the globe have dispatched aid.

If for example, Bilbo had made 2 posts in the thread both about aid from Dubai and put one in giant letters like it was the most important info in the thread then I probably would have responded in a similar manner.

Sure, I enjoy sparring with you on here from time to time but I'd like to think it was a point of principal in this case. That of using a natural disaster to score political points.

And yes, the last point was indeed a cheap shot. A retaliatory one though. I was going to delete it but was too lazy. It's not a lie though. It''s been admitted by people involved though it was stopped in the mid 90s. Anyway, not the time or the place for it.

EDIT: I thought I was replying to prima donna there. Apologies for the parts of this post that don't apply.

Last edited by Henry Chinaski : 01-17-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Henry Chinaski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #62
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

maybe israel should donate the money which of they want to build a wall (yes, a wall away from their own territory!) between gaza and egypt
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #63
country flag scarecrows
Ace Loveforty

scarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond reputescarecrows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Unless they settle the situation and create a Palestinian State it is hypocritical for Israel to help Haiti,
what?

why involve politics when here is a question of humanitarian aid

People there would be grateful even if Al Qaeda offered it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #64
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
what?

why involve politics when here is a question of humanitarian aid

People there would be grateful even if Al Qaeda offered it
Being hypocritical does not mean that aid is not wanted or needed, it's just that: "hypocritical".
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #65
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Being hypocritical does not mean that aid is not wanted or needed, it's just that: "hypocritical".
This could be a never-ending debate. I have seen Cuban hospitals and they are appalling. Fidel never cared about the suffering of his people. Yet the Castros send doctors overseas purely for propaganda purposes. And when I say ''send'' I mean ''send.''
Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #66
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post

Cuba has permanent field hospitals there. Venezuelan aid was the first to arrive in Haiti.
Where did you read about the Venezuelan aid? Where can I read about it?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #67
country flag Pfloyd

Pfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond reputePfloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
This could be a never-ending debate. I have seen Cuban hospitals and they are appalling. Fidel never cared about the suffering of his people. Yet the Castros send doctors overseas purely for propaganda purposes. And when I say ''send'' I mean ''send.''
I am not arguing this.

Every country have hypocrisies, some much more than others.

But the aid is still needed.

Last edited by Pfloyd : 01-17-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Pfloyd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #68
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:

But the aid is still needed.
Definitely. And the Cuban doctors will do their best. In another situation I would have more to say about Fidel's international aid, but not today.

A friend has a daughter with Doctors Without Borders. As of today 70 doctors are still in Santo Domingo. More and more it looks like this has to be a military operation. The girl has been to Darfur 3 times, but Haiti in the next few weeks could be a more scary deployment than Darfur.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #69
country flag Pfloyd

Quote:
Definitely. And the Cuban doctors will do their best. In another situation I would have more to say about Fidel's international aid, but not today.

A friend has a daughter with Doctors Without Borders. As of today 70 doctors are still in Santo Domingo. More and more it looks like this has to be a military operation. The girl has been to Darfur 3 times, but Haiti in the next few weeks could be a more scary deployment than Darfur.
Yes, it will be a very nasty development.

It will not end well for DR either.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #70

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Where did you read about the Venezuelan aid? Where can I read about it?
I heard it browsing the news channels.

Was probably Al Jazeera. Doubt any other station would bring it up.

There's mention of the Haitian president thanking Venuzuela among other countries here. http://www.miamiherald.com/582/story/1422279.html

Can't find much specific but a google search brings up results about Chavez's relationship with Haiti. Mostly seems to be pro-Chavez sites.

And if you think it's all bollocks don't try to debate it with me, I really don't care. It wasn't exactly fundamental to the point I made earlier.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #71
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
I heard it browsing the news channels.

Was probably Al Jazeera. Doubt any other station would bring it up.

There's mention of the Haitian president thanking Venuzuela among other countries here. http://www.miamiherald.com/582/story/1422279.html

Can't find much specific but a google search brings up results about Chavez's relationship with Haiti. Mostly seems to be pro-Chavez sites.

And if you think it's all bollocks don't try to debate it with me, I really don't care. It wasn't exactly fundamental to the point I made earlier.
I tried google and got nothing. The Miami Herald is not at all about Venezuela being first.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #72

why should it be? Non-story. It's not a competition.

But here you go anyway:

Quote:
Sebastian Walker, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Port-au-Prince, said that efforts to get aid to those affected by the quake have been complicated by the scale of the destruction.

"We have seen from the air some of those houses that have been completely destroyed. We have been speaking to some people at the airport, who have been telling us some horrific stories of the damage caused. Individuals have each said that they know of dozens of deaths," he said.

"There is only one plane here [that has brought aid] and humanitarian supplies to the people of Haiti - it arrived from Venezuela. The actual aid aeroplane that we were trying to get a ride on is still in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic, as far as we know."
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/am...745805501.html
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #73
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

China scrapes up $1mill behind their couch to donate to Haiti. Thanks China, our next benevolent world superpower.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #74
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Shame on all posters who involve politics in this thread. SHAME ON YOU!
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #75
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Shame on all posters who involve politics in this thread. SHAME ON YOU!
It won't make a dime of difference to the people in Port-Au-Prince. But if it makes you feel morally superior, go for it.