Why Don't Pros Use Tennis Gloves? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
country flag jjc225

jjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why Don't Pros Use Tennis Gloves?

It seemed like back when I played a long time ago a lot of people under the level of touring pro used tennis gloves. But I am having a hard time remembering if any of the prominent touring pros of the 1970s and 1980s ever used them. I don't think they did. Maybe Connors used them occasionally.

So these must not be seen as very useful to many of the touring pros. I imagine the feel of the grip is important. And perhaps these days grip technology has increased dramatically to where you simply don't need to mess with gloves anymore.

Edit: Most pros do however continue to use wrist bands. I guess the main reason to wear a glove is to reduce problems with sweat or problems on the hand (callouses, etc.). So presumably the wrist band by itself is good enough. Please post pics of major touring pros wearing gloves if you can find any.

Anna Semenovich

Ernests Gulbis

Philipp "Pic" Kohlschreiber

Jürgen Zopp

Last edited by jjc225 : 05-23-2014 at 03:56 PM.
jjc225 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
country flag peRFect tennis

peRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond reputepeRFect tennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Don't Pros Use Tennis Gloves?

For the reasons u mentioned, no!?
/thead

Grigor Dimitrov

Dominic Thiem
peRFect tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
country flag Honestly
Banned!

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

You're kidding right?
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute

We tried a glove, but we don't have the right feeling.
It's better to fight through the pain and have good feeling, no?
Tennis is Sparta, not some golf course where someone else carries your bags and you get a ride to get to your next shot.

With Respect,
Your Humble Servant
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
country flag Fargif

Fargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond reputeFargif has a reputation beyond repute

Golfers wear gloves.
Baseball players wear gloves.
Cyclicts wear gloves.

If it can prevent injuries and blisters like Rafas why not? But it isnt any kind of glove. Sweat and in some heat contions could be more harmfull then good.

FITD:
Washington´14(W)
Fargif is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
country flag ShotmaKer
Unregistered User

ShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond repute

Feel is quite an important factor but maybe less so today than when mids and mid-pluses were the names of the game. I use a leather grip, as do most pros, and I don't think they changed much since the 1980s. An argument could even be made that leather grips of yore had a better quality than most leather grips today. Overgrips on the other hand, I know they make thinner overgrips which allow for more feedback but with better absorption efficiency. Having said that, I have noticed that the original Tournagrip is still very popular amongst 'feel' players and I don't think it has changed much since the 1990s. Among the pros, Sampras used to use it and Gasquet is still using it.

instagram.com/ballstriker
Y'all are gobbling like a confused turkey !
ShotmaKer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
country flag jjc225

jjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback. I've been scouring pics across generations since the 1950s and so far have not found one pro playing with a tennis glove. Even when del Potro had his wrist problem and a glove could have been an option (for extra support and so forth), so far I have found no pics of him wearing one. I have looked at a lot of pics of Connors in action, because I thought at some point he was wearing one, but no, nothing so far. This apparently is a piece of equipment, readily available to anyone who plays tennis, that the touring pros stay away from.

Anna Semenovich

Ernests Gulbis

Philipp "Pic" Kohlschreiber

Jürgen Zopp
jjc225 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

They use the towel almost after every point, so the sweat should be that big problem.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
country flag ShotmaKer
Unregistered User

ShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond reputeShotmaKer has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, the sweat is actually a problem even if you use the towel a lot. With the original Tournagrip, you'd ideally change your grip after every set, otherwise the racket will start moving in your hand when returning a big shot or when taking a big swing at the ball. The Tourna grip II is better in that regard and will last a whole lot longer. The feel is really not the same however.

Players who really do sweat a lot tend to use more modern overgrips anyway. Nadal uses the Babolat Vs for instance.

instagram.com/ballstriker
Y'all are gobbling like a confused turkey !
ShotmaKer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
country flag calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond reputecalvinhobbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterclass View Post

It's better to fight through the pain and have good feeling, no?
Those blisters come from excessive ass picking.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

mmm, I'm not sure why but I love this. Gilda and gloves just agree with me .

Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have to start using a glove. I sweat more than Nadal and Roddick combined (which is weird, because I'm tired or dehydrated). Just yesterday, I could feel the racquet twisting in my hand...even when I was taking PRACTICE swings. And this is especially bad because I have a 1HBH. And toweling off after every point doesn't provide much help either.

As for feel, I don't see a difference. I played with a glove once (when my new racquet was giving me blisters) and if anything, my control seemed a bit BETTER with the glove on.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
country flag Theo11321045

Theo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond reputeTheo11321045 has a reputation beyond repute

wow...
i have heard of baseball batting gloves before but i haven't heard of tennis gloves...
this thread widened my horizon...
Theo11321045 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote