Monfils Goes For Grand Slam - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
country flag -wokkel-

-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monfils Goes For Grand Slam

Monfils Goes For Grand Slam

As the senior events approach the halfway stage at Flushing Meadows, the junior event gets underway on Sunday with attention firmly focused on Gael Monfils. The Frenchman is bidding to become only the second player to win all four junior Grand Slam titles in one year, a feat Stefan Edberg of Sweden achieved in 1983.

Monfils, who will undoubtedly end the year as junior World Champion, dominated the Australian and French Opens and, although contesting many tighter matches, still proved to be a class above the rest on the unfamiliar grass of Wimbledon. He will start as a strong favourite.

The US will provide the majority of the likely opposition: Alex Kuznetsov reached the final at Roland Garros, while Brendan Evans has reached at least the last eight of all three Grand Slams this year. Recently-crowned 18 & under US National champion, Scoville Jenkins has already had a taste of the event after playing Andy Roddick in the men’s singles and together with Evans and Kuznetsov will be eager to do well at home. Jenkins also reached the quarterfinals last year.

Britain’s Andrew Murray has shown a welcome return to form over the summer and will hope to improve on his quarterfinal showing in 2003 while Andreas Beck, of Germany, makes his junior Grand Slam debut after a good year on the ITF Futures Circuit and could also mount a challenge.

In contrast to the boys’ event, there is no overwhelming favourite in the girls’ event. Ukraine’s Kateryna Bondarenko, a semifinalist last year, bids to add to the junior Wimbledon crown that she took in July while Israeli Shahar Peer, the junior Australian Open champion, has shown that she can thrive on the big occasion. Bondarenko suffered a disappointing third-round loss in the Canadian Open while Peer has reached the semifinals there. Fellow semifinalist Timea Bacsinszky, of Switzerland has made solid progress this year and reached the semifinals in Australia and at Roland Garros and is another player in form.

Dutch player Michaella Krajicek was a finalist in 2003 and will look to gain something from a disappointing 2004 by her high standards. An early defeat in last week’s Canadian Open won’t have helped her confidence but, on her day, the talented Dutch player is capable of beating anyone in the field. American hopes will rest on the shoulders of Jessica Kirkland, who is taking time away from a successful year on the professional tour to try to win a junior Grand Slam.

The juniors weblet will contain daily results, news, reports and photos throughout next week

Tomas Berdych | Marcos Baghdatis | Gilles Muller | Novak Djokovic | Janko Tipsarevic | Nicolas Kiefer | Dudi Sela | Richard Gasquet
-wokkel- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
country flag Auscon

Auscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monfils Goes For Grand Slam

Well, he's started off on the wrong foot

lost the first set 6-4
Auscon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

And now he's getting treatment on his back.

I thought the gurus on MTF were assuring us that Monfils would not play in New York because he didn't think getting the junior grand slam was important and/or didnt' think the U.S. Open was to his liking.

Anyway, kudos to CBS for showing the kid. They showed him skying for an overhead, but he came down awkwardly and skidded and fell on his behind. Don't know if that had anything to do with the current injury time out.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
country flag Coleburg83

Coleburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond repute

He's one goofy looking mofo.
Coleburg83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

You think so? I think he's kinda cute.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:53 PM   #6
country flag Coleburg83

Coleburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond reputeColeburg83 has a reputation beyond repute

God, if he's cute then maybe I should consider giving modeling another try.

His body type is awful and his eyes bulge.
Coleburg83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

ok.... not male model handsome. But he's appealing.

And I like that long limbed body type.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #8
country flag -wokkel-

-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute-wokkel- has a reputation beyond repute

Remko.. Well done.. but..

Tomas Berdych | Marcos Baghdatis | Gilles Muller | Novak Djokovic | Janko Tipsarevic | Nicolas Kiefer | Dudi Sela | Richard Gasquet
-wokkel- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:56 PM   #9
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute

lol he looks like ET, very wierd looking guy

Last edited by joeb_uk : 09-06-2004 at 08:53 PM.
joeb_uk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:25 PM   #10
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

This guy doesn't impress me at all. I wonder if he can do good things on the ATP Tour or if he'll be a male version of Cara Black.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:29 PM   #11
country flag joeb_uk

joeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond reputejoeb_uk has a reputation beyond repute

you dont like him naldo? his game is quite similars to andy's dont you think?
Old 09-06-2004, 07:32 PM   #12
country flag Havok
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Havok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond reputeHavok has a reputation beyond repute

Um no not really. I watched that bit of him they showed at Wimbledon and his game was like a counterpuncher, but not a very good one. Mind you they showed like 2 3 points today, but he's still the same player it seems. For someone who's going for THE Grand Slam in juniors, I expected something way better quite frankly.

Havok is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:39 PM   #13
country flag joeb_uk

thats what i thought, i read the all the hype during RG and really wanted to see him play and when i did i was dissapointed. i suppose his serve is the big weapon and without that he wouldnt be going for the multiple slams
Old 09-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #14
country flag PinkFeatherBoa

PinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond reputePinkFeatherBoa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm not really impressed by him much either, I watched part of his Wimbledon final live and he doesn't stike me as a player I would follow. Still good luck to him anyways.

Maybe the sky will fall?
Allez Gasquet~Mathieu~Wawrinka~Mannarino~+++
PinkFeatherBoa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #15
country flag TheBoiledEgg

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

if he gets it....... the pressure is gonna be even more as it is
he'll be compared to Stefan Edberg if he isn't already

thats why he didnt want to play US Open
but the FFT made him
Berdych*Tsonga*Nishikori*Chardy

Goodbye Marat 1996-2009
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote