Down under 2010 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
country flag tennisace

tennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond reputetennisace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Down under 2010

He won but l'Equipe confirmed he's injured (shoulder)..tomorrow he'll face Stepanek
tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Another very, very rough start, he was again one set down and one break down, but the second half was not bad at all for a first event.
The game is not flawless, but the attitude is good. A couple of decent DTL returns too, he was killing me last year with his returns in the middle of the court, it definitely looked better today.
His serve was much better in the 2nd set, but otherwise he's really stuck at 50% 1st serves this week, like clockwork. The shoulder doesn't look worrying, though.
Truc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisace View Post
He won but l'Equipe confirmed he's injured (shoulder)..tomorrow he'll face Stepanek
No, there isn't anything new about his shoulder in L'Equipe and he really didn't sound worried when they asked him about it at the end.
I posted the article on GM.com:
http://www.gaelmonfils.com/forum/vie...start=15#p4485
He says he's not playing very well, but it's a good sign to be able to win without playing his best tennis.

He can earn his #12 seeding all on his own now, that's perfect, he just needs to prevent Radek from winning Brisbane.
He leads 3-1 in the h2h and Radek's only win was on retirement.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #19
country flag Truc

I see that Radek is poking fun at his young opponents all asking for medical treatments, the SF sounds promising.
Quote:
Stepanek raised eyebrows when he had a chop at his last round opponent – Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jnr – for receiving medical treatment, saying the Ukraine qualifier “ran like a rabbit”.
The veteran was at it again on Thursday when he wondered aloud why an opponent seven years his junior was breaking down in the year’s first tournament while he remained fresh.
“Maybe I am physically fitter than they are – it is the beginning of the season therefore there are some ‘injuries’,” said Stepanek, gesturing with his fingers to indicate commas for “injuries”.
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com...ne-step-closer
Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute

Stepanek's a jackass, I hope he won't pull any of his antics on court tomorrow, although I'm sure he will. Please demolish him Gael
Tess Gray is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
country flag Truc

I love Radek and I sure hope he will pull his usual antics - if I'm still awake (2am for us in Europe).

Pretty bad article about Gaël on the AO website:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...931616517.html
"Gael Monfils: ready for a starring role"
("He has not yet managed to break into the world’s top 10 but, currently ranked 13, he is closer to doing that than ever before thanks to a steady flow of success during the 2009 season.")
Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #22
country flag simplet

simplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond repute

Quality article indeed. "He has not yet managed to break into the world’s top 10"? "The 23-year-old upset James Blake to move through to the semifinals"???
simplet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #23
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I love Radek and I sure hope he will pull his usual antics - if I'm still awake (2am for us in Europe).
Where are you? Stepanek playing well and Gael a bit sluggish, conceding the first set on DF. It is hard to say because his body language is sometimes like that, but he does look tired to me.

Edit: Towards the end the thought of a tank became unavoidable.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Last edited by Puschkin : 01-09-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #24
country flag Truc

I was watching, just not on MTF.
Another shameless performance from him, and the press conference was the icing on the cake:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225817657285
"Before the match I decided not to kill my shoulder, I have a goal in one week's time." ^^

He's in the draw of Sydney, but let's see if he really turns up, I hope not, no need to waste everybody's time again:
Gael MONFILS (1) vs Bye
Potito STARACE vs QUALIFIER
Feliciano LOPEZ vs Richard GASQUET
QUALIFIER vs Benjamin BECKER (8)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
country flag Tess Gray

Tess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond reputeTess Gray has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't watch the match but this score is pathetic Gael this wasn't the sort of demolishion I had in mind
Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
country flag Truc

The attitude and the level of play were more pathetic than the scoreline.
The only positive thing for me was that he spared us a "dying swan" show (and also the embarrassment of a retirement), he just stopped trying when he saw he was crap and completely outplayed.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #27
country flag Tess Gray

He would have gotten a lot of crap had he retired. I wonder what Roger has to say about this... Maybe it is indeed his shoulder (but he was playing fine the last match) or maybe he just didn't feel like playing today
Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
country flag simplet

simplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond reputesimplet has a reputation beyond repute

I woke up this night around 3.15 AM, looked at the clock and thought "hey I'm gonna watch a bit of Monfils' match, maybe I'll catch half of the second set or so". Booted my computer, saw 6-2 5-1 30all Stepanek, rubbed my eyes, watched again, this time it was 40-30 match point, sighted and went straight back to bed.

If it was a tank, it was not the smartest one, he could really use that number 12 ranking. Anyway if he decides to show up in Sydney he could always tank for Richard, he needs the points.
simplet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #29
country flag Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond reputeCloudygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplet View Post

If it was a tank, it was not the smartest one, he could really use that number 12 ranking. Anyway if he decides to show up in Sydney he could always tank for Richard, he needs the points.
I can't stand tanking but if he feels the need, then please do it then.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #30
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute

I have written a blog on a couple of Monfils' matches in Brisbane.

I am not sure whether anyone wants to read it, or whether they would rather forget about the match, but here it is anyway:

http://www.tennis-brain.com/2010/01/...ay-6-blog.html (semi-final match)

http://www.tennis-brain.com/2010/01/...onal-blog.html (match against Serra, though I didn't see the whole match)

I like the little phrase you've come up with on some of Monfils' bad body language days, Truc. The "dying swan show".
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote