Tournament Questions and Tips for Fans (World Tour Finals info needed) - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tournament Questions and Tips for Fans (World Tour Finals info needed)

Hello,

I'd like to go to the US OPEN and I'm looking for people who have ever been there.

Is it easy to see the players practrice ?
Do you know a cheap hotel close to the stadium ?
Is it possible to buy tickets the day of the match ?

Well, any informations would be great.

You can send me a private email if you wish.

Thanks a lot in advance for the persons who would answer me.

Valérie
enqvistfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
country flag Ballbuster

Ballbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US OPEN informations requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by enqvistfan
Hello,

I'd like to go to the US OPEN and I'm looking for people who have ever been there.

well, it would be cheaper to just sleep on the sidewalk
Ballbuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
country flag Chloe le Bopper

Chloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond reputeChloe le Bopper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is it easy to see the players practrice ?
It depends where they practice. There are open practice courts that you can just walk up to and watch them practice on. There are also some that are covered, but if you stand at the top of court 4 you can view from up there. Last year caught almost everybody I was looking for practicing at some point or another.

Quote:
The Comfort Inn in Flushing NY is a ten minute walk from the park. I stayed there last year, and it was just fine. Clean, nice staff, located in a safe area. I would recommend it.

If a hotel is too expensive, you should check ou the Flushing YMCA for a room. It's up the street from the comfort in, and cheaper than a proper hotel, but just as secure.

Quote:
Is it possible to buy tickets the day of the match ?
Sure, but show up early just in case. If you don't love one of the top americans, don't waste your money on nosebleed seats in Ashe. Groundspasses are the way to go.

Chocking makes me sad.
Chloe le Bopper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:16 AM   #4
country flag timbo31388

timbo31388 is on a distinguished road

I have been to the US Open it is very easy to see players on practice courts. I got Andy Roddick's autograph while he was on practice court. Some people are hard to find b/c they dont want crowds to watch them practice.
timbo31388 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 05:35 AM   #5
country flag Hurley

Hurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond repute

It is very easy to get tickets the day of. I get there very late in the day and I have never once had a problem getting in.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute

You're better off buying a ticket to Down Under~ come & see the AUS Open in January; ground-pass tickets (inlclude Vodafone Arena, Margaret Court Arena, Showcourt-1 etc..) only $25 Aus ($16 US). The big stars walk straight past you & minimal security required because it's a peaceful atmosphere^ I've seen V Williams, Moya, Rafter, Nalbandian, Federer walk within a metre or so & they seem happy to practice on the outside courts & sign for fans. Also atmosphere is awesome because lots of European backpackers in January (as Northern Hemisphere winter); the Swedish, Dutch, Spanish, British & of course Aussie fans paint their faces & shirts off singing songs to encourage favourite players. The main stadium is only 15-minutes walk from city's CBD, or you can take tram if you prefer.. Definitely one of the best spectator sports events in the World (but I'm biased@@)! Cheers.
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
country flag enqvistfan

enqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond reputeenqvistfan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot Rebecca, Timbo, Hurley, and cmonaussie for your comments and tips. Rebecca, I totally agree with you regarding the groundpasses, each year I go to Roland-Garros and each year I buy groundpasses as I'm not a fan of the French players and I can see everyone very close. If I go the US OPEN, I would do the same cause my favourites are not american (even if I have nothing against them). My dream is to go someday at the Aussie Open, but at the moment, it is to expensive for Europeans, I heard that the atmosphere was great etc.. (like Cmon aussie said). I hope someday, I'll be able to go there, but I'd also to visit Australia so...
Old 06-05-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
country flag Hurley

Hurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond reputeHurley has a reputation beyond repute

If you just need grounds passes, you'll have no trouble. But they're very expensive these days...sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy nosebleed Ashe seats, and just never go in!

I remember the days where grounds passes used to be 20 dollars...
Old 06-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #9
country flag enqvistfan

Post Re: US OPEN informations requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley
If you just need grounds passes, you'll have no trouble. But they're very expensive these days...sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy nosebleed Ashe seats, and just never go in!

I remember the days where grounds passes used to be 20 dollars...
Ground passes in Roland-Garros this year were at 18 Euros !! I'll check on the usopen website.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 AM   #10
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie
You're better off buying a ticket to Down Under~ come & see the AUS Open in January; ground-pass tickets (inlclude Vodafone Arena, Margaret Court Arena, Showcourt-1 etc..) only $25 Aus ($16 US).

The big stars walk straight past you & minimal security required because it's a peaceful atmosphere^ I've seen V Williams, Moya, Rafter, Nalbandian, Federer walk within a metre or so & they seem happy to practice on the outside courts & sign for fans.

Also atmosphere is awesome because lots of European backpackers in January (as Northern Hemisphere winter); the Swedish, Dutch, Spanish, British & of course Aussie fans paint their faces & shirts off singing songs to encourage favourite players. The main stadium is only 15-minutes walk from city's CBD, or you can take tram if you prefer.. Definitely one of the best spectator sports events in the World (but I'm biased@@)! Cheers.
That is probably your best ever posts and by the way are you Paul McNamee's son?

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #11
country flag CmonAussie

CmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond reputeCmonAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWHitler
That is probably your best ever posts and by the way are you Paul McNamee's son?

Thanks George_>> seems like you're agreeing with me more recently; mayble we'll become mates someday ! See you at AO 05?

BTW~ no I'm not McNamee's son, actually I'm just a simple guy growing up in the suburbs; BUT recently my title became 'Rocky Llegs Propaganda Minister'!!
CmonAussie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #12
country flag soeren

soeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond reputesoeren has a reputation beyond repute
Question Getting tickets for the US Open on site

Hi,

I will be in NYC in the time of the US Open. I don't know yet when exactly I will have time to go to the tournament, but I really would like to. Probably I will have the opportunity on about 2 days in the first week and on about 3 days in the second, depends on other issues.

Is it possible to get tickets just on the day when you want to go? Or do I have to pay a high price to the touts then?

I hope some forum members have some experience with going to the tournament and could give me some advice. I would be very thankful.
soeren is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
country flag R.Federer

R.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond reputeR.Federer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting tickets for the US Open on site

Quote:
Originally Posted by soeren
Hi,

I will be in NYC in the time of the US Open. I don't know yet when exactly I will have time to go to the tournament, but I really would like to. Probably I will have the opportunity on about 2 days in the first week and on about 3 days in the second, depends on other issues.

Is it possible to get tickets just on the day when you want to go? Or do I have to pay a high price to the touts then?

I hope some forum members have some experience with going to the tournament and could give me some advice. I would be very thankful.
On the very first few days, you can buy them easily on site for $20 (all courts)
There are no touts in the area, btw. Perhaps in the city there are but at Flushing itself there is considerably security and no one seems to approach anyone else with tickets

Also, last minute "special" deals on tickets are not uncommon if there has been weather related rescheduling and empty stadiums are feared. We got tickets for $10 (yes $10!!!!) for the famous capriati-JHH semi final which went beyond midnight
R.Federer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually wondering around how much the finals tickets would/should cost? I found a few on ebay around a 100 bucks but is that overpaying?
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
country flag Pigpen Stinks

Pigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond reputePigpen Stinks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaFed2005
I was actually wondering around how much the finals tickets would/should cost? I found a few on ebay around a 100 bucks but is that overpaying?
All depends on where the seat is. I would suspect for $100 it is deep in the nosebleeds. Although, I think NY is one of the states where you're not allowed to mark up on the face value of a ticket by more than like 10% on EBay, so you may find some relative bargains. Sellers sometimes get around this by making the tickets part of a "package" that may include hotel and other amenities that then allow them to jack the price up.
Pigpen Stinks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote