In The Spotlight: buddyholly - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #91
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In The Spotlight: buddyholly

I studied the writings of bilbo and habibko at the Belfast madrasah.

Ask the same question without the smilie and the answer could be different.

Last edited by buddyholly : 06-28-2010 at 12:25 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #92
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
Thank you for your responses.

Follow-up questions:

Which came first, the lack of emotions or your atheism? Also, how are the two related? This is the first that I've heard someone make this association.
Well that was a joke of course. I was trying to make make a joke about the people who think that failure to believe in ghosts shows a lack of emotion. I focus my emotions on real things, not fairy tales.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #93
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
how gutted are you today? and who are you gonna root for in the quarters (ger-arg)?
Not gutted at all. I haven't actually had any since the Hand of Gaul. I share a language with the English, not much else. Now it is the choice of two evils, but I was in Cuba when Maradona was there living in relative luxury and giving the proverbial finger to the opressed Cubans with his pal Fidel. Supposedly he was there to be rehabilitated from his drug addiction, but I imagine Fidel was able to give him what he ''needed'' at the time. In return he seems to have made a devil's pact with Fidel to act as a stooge for him in South America.
So in the choice of two evils, I would get the biggest laugh seeing Maradona fall on his face.

And although I love the game of football, the rolling around by the cheating prima donna players, the ineptitude of refereeing and the bufoonery of the executives has made it just another big business. Maybe I should just get a collection of George Best tapes and rerun those. I really would like to see this WC get more absurd by the day.
Did you know that youtube now has a vuvuzuela button? You can watch videos and have vuvuzuelas drown out the soundtrack. Maybe that will be the legacy of this WC, - the universal vuvuzuela button.

As for potential winners how come nobody talks about Holland? I would like them to win as a sort of reward for their body of work over the last 40 years. I was in Holland when they lost the final to Germany in 1974. Didn't get to see Amsterdam in full party mode. I blame Germany for that.

Last edited by buddyholly : 06-28-2010 at 01:23 AM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #94
country flag WarriorA

WarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Well that was a joke of course. I was trying to make make a joke about the people who think that failure to believe in ghosts shows a lack of emotion. I focus my emotions on real things, not fairy tales.
Joke or not, I’m still wondering how in the hell that association is made - If not by you, then by the people who said it first that you’re making the joke about. I can’t quite find the logic in (or even make up crazy talk about) such a direct connection between the experience of emotion and religiosity/spirituality.

After that, all I can say now is thank God I included the question about cheese.
WarriorA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #95
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the question has already been made and answered, but were you born a Protestant or a Catholic?
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #96
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
I can’t quite find the logic in (or even make up crazy talk about) such a direct connection between the experience of emotion and religiosity/spirituality.
Well, there is no proof that there is a god, so I would say that religious belief is just an emotion, one that I don't have. But perhaps I am confusing emotion and belief.
It may have all been put in my mind by a good friend's wife, who has known me for 40 years and yet announced during dinner that people who could not ''feel'' the presence of god were not as good as those who could. So I was getting at that opinion of some people that failure to have a religion indicated a person without emotional feelings.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #97
country flag WarriorA

WarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It may have all been put in my mind by a good friend's wife, who has known me for 40 years and yet announced during dinner that people who could not ''feel'' the presence of god were not as good as those who could.
Now, that is crazy talk. I’m quite creative but couldn’t conjure anything of that magnitude. Emotions are happy, sad, embarrassed, frustrated, angry, jealous, etc. Feeling (that is “experiencing”) the presence of God is an entirely different construct. I think it would be better defined as an (intangible) event with which one (as in some) has an emotion associated.

I’ve never considered atheism, but might just to spite her.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #98
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
I'm sure the question has already been made and answered, but were you born a Protestant or a Catholic?
When I was born I don't think I had any religion at all. But my parents were Protestant. Unitarian actually, which my friends in the US say is practically the same as atheist.

I was in my early teens when I began to realise that almost the entire population of Northern Ireland was stuck in the mire of religion.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #99
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Now, that is crazy talk. I’m quite creative but couldn’t conjure anything of that magnitude. Emotions are happy, sad, embarrassed, frustrated, angry, jealous, etc. Feeling (that is “experiencing”) the presence of God is an entirely different construct. I think it would be better defined as an (intangible) event with which one (as in some) has an emotion associated.

I’ve never considered atheism, but might just to spite her.
I was just winging it on this topic. I guess my real feeling is that religion is neither an emotion nor an event. It is just an accident of birth. I assume about 99% of people who practice religion practice the religion of their parents. For me that is overwhelming statistical proof that practising religion is no more than conforming without bothering to think.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #100
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I was born I don't think I had any religion at all. But my parents were Protestant. Unitarian actually, which my friends in the US say is practically the same as atheist.

I was in my early teens when I began to realise that almost the entire population of Northern Ireland was stuck in the mire of religion.
You know what I meant...

would you say your being born and raised in Northern Ireland gave a boost to your determined atheist views?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #101
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
You know what I meant...

would you say your being born and raised in Northern Ireland gave a boost to your determined atheist views?
No, I don't think so. It had nothing to do with rejection of Northern Ireland style religion.

It was the realization that the concept of a superior, supernatural being was beyond reason. I would not be a good debater for atheism. For me there is nothing to debate. If you can't see it, hear it, touch it, taste it or smell it, then clearly it's not there.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #102
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What about if you can feel it?

Just kidding, don't want to start this discussion again.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #103
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
What about if you can feel it?

Just kidding, don't want to start this discussion again.
Neither do I. It might be a bannable topic.

However, ''feel it'' is synonymous with ''touch it.'' Your use of the word is as something abstract, which certainly is a use that could be applied to religion.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #104
country flag WarriorA

Quote:
I guess my real feeling is that religion is neither an emotion nor an event.
That's actually a thought.

I don't think that religion is an emotion or an event either. I think that experiencing (or "feeling") the presence of God is an intangible event (similar to a sensation) but definitely different from religion. My meaning is similar to what you write below (as in something abstract):

Quote:
However, ''feel it'' is synonymous with ''touch it.'' Your use of the word is as something abstract, which certainly is a use that could be applied to religion.
However, for the sake of semantic accuracy, I disagree that "feel it" is synonymous with "touch it" just as "itch" is not synonymous with "scratch." Although often used interchangeably, one is a sensation and the other an action.

Quote:
Neither do I. It might be a bannable topic.
Good. I'm just itching for an infraction.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #105
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, there is no proof that there is a god, so I would say that religious belief is just an emotion, one that I don't have. But perhaps I am confusing emotion and belief.
It may have all been put in my mind by a good friend's wife, who has known me for 40 years and yet announced during dinner that people who could not ''feel'' the presence of god were not as good as those who could. So I was getting at that opinion of some people that failure to have a religion indicated a person without emotional feelings.
Yikes!
Wish someone had bumped this thread sooner. Then I would have remembered you lived in Toronto and hunted you down
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote