In The Spotlight: buddyholly - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #76
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In The Spotlight: buddyholly

were your parents atheists as well?

did you get the fuck out of NI as soon as you were old enough?

was there any specific reason you got an Irish passport?

what part of NI are you from?
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #77
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
1. Name all the tennis tournaments you have been to in the last 5 years.
2. What was your favorite and why?
3. If you had to go back to being a working man again would you do anything differently?
4. Any regrets in life or do you never think about that stuff?
5. Which country do you prefer living in and why?
6. What country could you not stand? ( forget Cuba as I know how you fell about it)
7. Did you ever have any desire to have children? And why your answer?
8. Favorite era of men's tennis?
9. Do you even like women's tennis?
10. What did you think of Bobby Riggs?
1. Miami, Toronto, Copa de Cafe, San Jose. Because I was working overseas it was never easy to attend a tournament. I did taqke vacation in June though, so that my Visits to Ireland co-incided with Wimbledon on TV. I spent one day at Wimbledon, got onto Centre Court at 8.30pm after a day standing in lines. Never again.
2. I love Miami, the fifth slam, and I can buy a ticket every day and sit in the front row on Granstand, where they put the Latino players. Much better than a high seat in the Main Stadium to watch one-sided matches. When the tournament progresses to where there is not a full 14 hours of play a day, I go home and watch TV.
3. I don't think so. I didn't have to work in an office and I got to travel.
4. Don't really think about it.
5. Costa Rica was great because of the climate. Toronto is nice for now, because all my working life I was only visiting big cities on vacation. We will see as the winter grinds on.
6. Honduras. Too dangerous.
7. No. There is no why. If you don't have the desire then there is no wondering why not. Maybe because I am an atheist I have no sense of continuity.
8. Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Edberg and Lendl, of course - the Golden Age.
10. I liked it in the era of Martina and Chris. I met Pam Shriver and Zina Garrison in Cuba.
11. Nothing.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #78
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
were your parents atheists as well?

did you get the fuck out of NI as soon as you were old enough?

was there any specific reason you got an Irish passport?

what part of NI are you from?
1. Non-Subscribing Presbyterians.
2. I probably studied geology knowing that emigration was essential.
3. Because the privilege was to be phased out after the Accord.
4.Down, a small town with the only metal stocks remaining in the British Isles.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #79
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Can't wait to hear your take on the Toronto winter. How do you think you will do?
2. What made you decide to live in Toronto? ( hubby's fav city in the world)
3. What would I like most about Toronto?
4. In retirement what do you do daily to keep life enjoyable? ( remember this question comes from a workaholic )
5. Do you play tennis?
6. If you do how well do you play?
7. What is your idea of the perfect date?
8. Do you have a favorite real life story you'd care to share?
9. Do you belong to a political party? If so which one? And do you vote in every election?
10. Do you have a favorite state in the USA you'd like to visit again? Why? And what state have you never been in but want to see one day?
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #80
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
1. Can't wait to hear your take on the Toronto winter. How do you think you will do?
2. What made you decide to live in Toronto? ( hubby's fav city in the world)
3. What would I like most about Toronto?
4. In retirement what do you do daily to keep life enjoyable? ( remember this question comes from a workaholic )
5. Do you play tennis?
6. If you do how well do you play?
7. What is your idea of the perfect date?
8. Do you have a favorite real life story you'd care to share?
9. Do you belong to a political party? If so which one? And do you vote in every election?
10. Do you have a favorite state in the USA you'd like to visit again? Why? And what state have you never been in but want to see one day?
1. Just fine. I am downtown, on the lake shore, a couple of blocks from all of underground Toronto.
2.Had to recover my Canadian residency. I did post-grad in Toronto, so was already familiar with the city. Sometime this year I will check out Vancouver.
3.Almost everything is downtown and it is safe to walk all night. A car is not necessary, would be an expensive liability.
4. I enjoy a morning newspaper on my doorstep for the first time in 35 years. Sometimes I am not finished until afternoon. I have a gym in my building and I play tennis at a club with a winter ''bubble'' on the courts. I have lots of movies to catch up on via DVD. I am near a great market, St. Lawrence. I like just looking at all the high quality meat, cheese and seafood that I did without in other countries.
5. Answered.
6. Good for my age, I think. I can still beat the young guys who follow the Agassi creed that style is everything or something like that and look very stylish as they double fault. For me, a heavily sliced backhand that bounces into the opponent's belly rather than onto his waiting racquet, floats my boat. (Santoro is my idol.) Main problem now is mobility.
7. Best possible dinner and maybe theatre. Assuming you don't mean the ideal date partner! If she is more interested in how ''cool'' the restaurant is rather than how good the food is, there wouldn't be a second date.
8. On the barrier reef one day we were pinned against the reef by an enormous whale shark, that came in so close that it was looking at us with one big eye. It stayed about five minutes until one of us could not resist leaving the reef and stroking a fin, at which point it slowly swam off. About the only reason I can think of to use the word awesome without exaggerating.
On another dive the shark feeding got out of control and a ball of excited sharks rolled through our lookout spot, knocking us about.
Once in a lifetime dive adventures are my favourite memories.
9. I don't belong to a party and have never even voted, because I have been abroad.
10. I love California and in a month or two I will do the coastal drive from SF to LA. Never did that before.
I was in Salt Lake City, but haven't seen the rock formations of the state, such as Bryce Canyon. Something I must do.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #81
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

1. if you were the president of the united states and pentagon officials would propose a violent coup d'etat to oust chavez in venezuela, orchestrated by the cia - would you be up for it?

2. how much of the building boom in costa rica and panama is solely down to money laundering of drug cartels? percentage-wise please.

3. with all the ups and down in the irish economy over the last 10-20 years, where do you see ireland in 2015?

4. do you support the english team in south africa?

5. is "soccer" a big deal in the canadian media these days? is it mentioned at all? i always felt like canada's even better than the united states at ignoring world cups.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #82
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

1- What do you think about nationalism?

2- Why are white countries so rich, and black countries so poor?

3- What kind of accent do you have? Irish? Canadian? Mixed?

4- What is your stance regarding Quebec's independence?
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #83
country flag WarriorA

WarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond repute

1. How would you describe your rate of usage and overall need for mental/emotional defense mechanisms?

2. What is your perspective on possessions?

3. When was the last time you experienced embarrassment? Please give details of the situation and your response.

4. What is your favorite type of cheese?
WarriorA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #84
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_is_onUSA View Post
1. How would you describe your rate of usage and overall need for mental/emotional defense mechanisms?

2. What is your perspective on possessions?

3. When was the last time you experienced embarrassment? Please give details of the situation and your response.

4. What is your favorite type of cheese?
1) What kind of psychobabble is that? I don't understand the question. I just get on with things. Of course I am an atheist, so have no emotions.

2) I like to be mobile, so avoid possesions other than the complete Buddy Holly collection and a tennis racquet. Food and travel get my money, hardly what you would call possessions.

3) I am over 65 and don't have to be embarrassed anymore. We call it a ''senior moment'' and move on.

4) I recently discovered Saint Felicien, a French soft cheese with a pungent kick. I am addicted. I recommend it with a Chateau D'Yquem.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #85
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
1. if you were the president of the united states and pentagon officials would propose a violent coup d'etat to oust chavez in venezuela, orchestrated by the cia - would you be up for it?

2. how much of the building boom in costa rica and panama is solely down to money laundering of drug cartels? percentage-wise please.

3. with all the ups and down in the irish economy over the last 10-20 years, where do you see ireland in 2015?

4. do you support the english team in south africa?

5. is "soccer" a big deal in the canadian media these days? is it mentioned at all? i always felt like canada's even better than the united states at ignoring world cups.
1) No, if the Venezuelans can't do it themselves, that's their problem.
2) Panama looks weird, all these skyscrapers standing empty. I was not aware of a building boom in Costa Rica. It is very different ftrom Panama.If you were to see San Jose you would realise that the Ticos are going it alone, without much drug money flowing in.
3) Probably 50% back to pre Celtic Tiger days. But not having lived there for 43 years I don't think or know much about Irish economic affairs.
4) Yes, against Germany and Argentina. But I would root for a Cinderella team if they have a match with England. However, chances for that are almost gone.
I want the USA to do well and boost football in N. America. Being ranked 14th they have already exceeded expectations by winning their group. And apart from Donovan, Dempsey and Howard they are not household names. But they are a nice team, without Prima Donnas rolling around on the ground whining to the ref. I find that refreshing.
5) Canadian soccer is mostly ignored. But in Toronto with all its ethnic groups the WC is huge. The national TV channel shows every game live in high definition, shutting out ESPN. Today and tomorrow is the G20. I assume the leaders will determine world policy depending on how their team is doing. Expect France and Italy to throw their toys out of the pram.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #86
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
1- What do you think about nationalism?

2- Why are white countries so rich, and black countries so poor?

3- What kind of accent do you have? Irish? Canadian? Mixed?

4- What is your stance regarding Quebec's independence?
1) I am very nationalistic now. Why not, I am lucky enough to have Canadian citizenship.

2) A lot of it has to do with latitude.

3) No Canadian yet, I have only been here 8 months, eh, apart from 5 years in the 60's. (But I spent most of those 5 years in the Canadian north working with fellow immigrants from Europe. The Canadian citizens preferred the city life, so I was not much exposed to the Canadian accent.)
When I tell people I am originally from Northern Ireland they usually say ''Aaaah, so that's it. I could just hear it.

4) Probably a dead issue now. It would be foolish. There was a very rare earthquake on the Quebec-Ontario border last Wednesday. Someone tweeted that ''finally, Quebec is separating.''
Old 06-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #87
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Why the renewed interest? I was all prepared this weekend to report from Ground Zero at the G20. But in reality there are so many cops on the streets that downtown is like a Sunday.

I have heard so many activists saying that they are here to represent the ''people'' and protest the world's leaders who are only representing the rich capitalists. I have not heard one of them acknowledge that all the principal leaders were in fact elected by the ''people.'' Such self-righteousness.

Only security breach so far is that an out-of-town cop had his computer and riot gear stolen from his room by a prostitute, when he nodded off after sex. She has been arrested and police are satisfied that she did not know what was in the suitcase she liberated from the cop. At least when he woke up he did not find himself handcuffed to the bed.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #88
country flag WarriorA

WarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond reputeWarriorA has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your responses.

Follow-up questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
1) What kind of psychobabble is that? I don't understand the question. I just get on with things. Of course I am an atheist, so have no emotions.
Which came first, the lack of emotions or your atheism? Also, how are the two related? This is the first that I've heard someone make this association.
WarriorA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #89
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

how gutted are you today? and who are you gonna root for in the quarters (ger-arg)?
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #90
country flag andy neyer
Banned!

andy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond reputeandy neyer has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you get your clownish poltical viewpoints from?
andy neyer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote