James Cameron's AVATAR (in cinemas across the world on dec 18th) - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #61
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: James Cameron's AVATAR (in cinemas across the world on dec 18th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
So far it's been mostly geeky boys (the "Lara Croft was my first crush" types) creaming themselves over this movie. I'll wait to see what the word-of-mouth is from the women before I see it.
Ehem I will have you know my son is an Uber Geek And doubtful he creamed himself over this movie But what I do know I am only the mother Also I have no intention of seeing it so I can't help you here.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #62
country flag Clay Death
Banned!

Clay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond reputeClay Death has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
I think this movie deserves its own thread. Are you ready for the movie of the century?

Trailer:

Top5 of most successful movies of all-time:

1 Titanic $1,842.9
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119.1
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066.2
4 The Dark Knight $1,001.9
5 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $974.7

My prediction: at least 2nd place with at least $1.2 billion.

The reviews for this movie are stunning. Probably as good as never before.

Sigourney
no question about it. this movie looks very hot.
Clay Death is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #63
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
So far it's been mostly geeky boys (the "Lara Croft was my first crush" types) creaming themselves over this movie. I'll wait to see what the word-of-mouth is from the women before I see it.
The reason I don't thin k it will break the top 5 overall. It will not get the same support from women as Titanic did.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #64
country flag Lunatiq

Lunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond reputeLunatiq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
WOW. The future of movies!!! What's that up there? It's 3D!!!!!!
not in Germany and Switzerland I've heard?? Some problems in cinemas?
Lunatiq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #65
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatiq View Post
not in Germany and Switzerland I've heard?? Some problems in cinemas?
I'm going to watch it in 3D today
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #66
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

Review: 'Avatar' delivers on the hype

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/...iew/index.html
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #67
country flag Bilbo

I'm back from the cinema and of course my question was if it's the movie of the decade. It's a tough one between Lord of the Rings and Avatar but one of these for sure. Both will be remembered even in a few decades. However, I would give the edge to Avatar and make it the movie of the decade. Another masterpiece by James Cameron The DVD and Blu-Ray version should set new standards in image quality.

Oh, and who said the movie has no story? Brilliant story and visual world. Very inspired stuff.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #68
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Oh, and who said the movie has no story?
Everyone but you. So, are you going to switch your studies from geology to climate science now, you horrible mining person?

But, if you insist in bowing down to the genius of Canadians, who am I to argue with that?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #69
country flag Bilbo

expected post. just like always you have to put everything down. do you have no other things to do? you really must live a low life, buddyholly. i'll put you on ignore from now on.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #70
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #71
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Bilbo. The story is pretty good. Maybe not the most original in the world but if you get lost in the world of Pandora it's easy to get involved in the story. It's a good emotional story that the viewer can get entrenched in and works very well with the visual presentation.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #72
country flag Vida

Vida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond reputeVida has a reputation beyond repute

good movie with a shallow plot that does not really bother you. lots of environmentalism in it. great effects, I watched it in 3d. the bad guy is hilarious, reminds me of general Rancor.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #73
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
i'll put you on ignore from now on.
That's a relief. Now I won't have to suffer all those anti-Semitic PMs.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #74
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

so "avatar" made about $75 mil on its opening weekend in the states - less than "i am legend", which had a similar theme and opened around the same time (costs were about $300 mil (!!!) below "avatar" though).

it ended up making about $580 mil worldwide. considering that cameron's flick will probably have legs i think my prediction of around $600 mil (maybe even $700 mil) was pretty okay.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #75
country flag Bilbo

shows you how the weather can influence things. however, it will be just a shift for the first two weekends. i expect next weekend to be equally good than the first one because of the bad weather we had in the east US and Europe. your (laughable) prediction will be surpassed in just 2 weeks. even more i expect this movie to be on long legs. i know a lot of people who will watch this movie at least twice. the reviews across the internet are among the best you've ever seen. the cameron bonus should also be not forgotten. even 2012 has cashed in more than $700 million and has very bad reviews. also there was hardly any promotion compared to avatar. your prediction just makes no sense at all.

i'm still satisfied with my prediction. looks good.

btw the costs for "avatar" aren't official yet. the numbers are an assumption. we know it's the most expensive movie but not how much exactly.