The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc.

Any other MMA followers here?

It's still pretty difficult to follow MMA here in Finland but we do get the Ultimate Figher reality show here and some channel show the UFC (at ridiculous hours though). I usually check the dates of each event and then try to find the matches online.

Got interested in MMA via TUF. I used to practice judo when I was a lot younger and have now taken up karate. I now also interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I probably won't find the time, with gym, tennis, karate and golf (in addition to university studies and occasional working) taking up all of my time.

Favorite fighter is probably Lyoto Machida.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The MMA thread - UFC, Pride, Strikeforce etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Any other MMA followers here?

It's still pretty difficult to follow MMA here in Finland but we do get the Ultimate Figher reality show here and some channel show the UFC (at ridiculous hours though). I usually check the dates of each event and then try to find the matches online.

Got interested in MMA via TUF. I used to practice judo when I was a lot younger and have now taken up karate. I now also interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but I probably won't find the time, with gym, tennis, karate and golf (in addition to university studies and occasional working) taking up all of my time.

Favorite fighter is probably Lyoto Machida.
Right here, bud. Massive MMA fan. Stuck £10 on a treble this weekend. Sanchez, Mir, and Florian to win.

Hard to say who my favourite fighter is. I like aggressive Jiu Jitsu fighters, like Frank Mir. I'm actually a huge fan of Shogun, though. I thought he won the fight with Machida. So yeah, I'll be up until like 5am watching UFC 107 in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

UFC is gaining popularity. They are coming to Australia and the Sydney show sold out in 10 minutes.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Clydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond reputeClydey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
UFC is gaining popularity. They are coming to Australia and the Sydney show sold out in 10 minutes.
Yeah, UFC is already huge. It's just getting bigger, though. Only a matter of time before it overtakes boxing, which has a lot of problems outside of its massive superfights.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Gaining even more popularity. I mean there is a demographic out there for it, the guys that like the WWE have converted and then as you said the boxing fans as well.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Gaining even more popularity. I mean there is a demographic out there for it, the guys that like the WWE have converted and then as you said the boxing fans as well.
Got a few of my boxing mates into it now. They initially had a some reservations about the ground game, but they've grown to appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Lot of my friends are doing this now, interesting some come from boxing grounds and struggle with grappling and vice versa.

Quote:
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Old 12-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
country flag JMG

JMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond reputeJMG has a reputation beyond repute

Are there no problems in other countries? In Germany the politics and media are trying to make MMA look brutal and inhuman. They even wanted to forbid the UFC in Cologne this year.

Even after the Cologne show there were still mostly bad articles, e.g. insisting that MMA isn't a sport, that there are basically no rules ("everything is allowed"), that most of the spectators are skinheads and have tattoos etc, which is a ridiculous.
JMG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
Are there no problems in other countries? In Germany the politics and media are trying to make MMA look brutal and inhuman. They even wanted to forbid the UFC in Cologne this year.

Even after the Cologne show there were still mostly bad articles, e.g. insisting that MMA isn't a sport, that there are basically no rules ("everything is allowed"), that most of the spectators are skinheads and have tattoos etc, which is a ridiculous.
I'm sure there are problems. There are many misconceptions about the sport of MMA. Both logically and statistically, it is safer than boxing. There are many different ways to win an MMA match. The goal in boxing, however, is to pound your opponent to the head and body with 16 ounce gloves, which actually cause a fighter to take more sustained damage.

I think there are a few reasons for the misconceptions. Firstly, UFC bouts take place in a cage. Without having seen an MMA fight, that sounds brutal to the uninitiated. In reality, it's no more brutal than a fight taking place in a boxing ring. Secondly, there's still a stigma attached as a result of the early, no-holds-barred days of the UFC. Now, that was vicious. The sport is nothing like it was then.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Right here, bud. Massive MMA fan. Stuck £10 on a treble this weekend. Sanchez, Mir, and Florian to win.

Hard to say who my favourite fighter is. I like aggressive Jiu Jitsu fighters, like Frank Mir. I'm actually a huge fan of Shogun, though. I thought he won the fight with Machida. So yeah, I'll be up until like 5am watching UFC 107 in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Yeah I watched that and thought that Lyoto had lost, he deserved to lose IMO, Shogun was spot on with his tactics and execution.

I'm not sure which fighters I like the best, maybe the same, aggressive jiu jitsu and also those who have great standup skills... I dislike the ground and pound wrestlers, they make for boring fights mostly (i.e. Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben in TUF season 1)
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Yeah I watched that and thought that Lyoto had lost, he deserved to lose IMO, Shogun was spot on with his tactics and execution.

I'm not sure which fighters I like the best, maybe the same, aggressive jiu jitsu and also those who have great standup skills... I dislike the ground and pound wrestlers, they make for boring fights mostly (i.e. Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Leben in TUF season 1)
Yep, I don't like the fighters who are content to just try and strike from inside their opponent's guard, or "lay and pray" as it's called. That's not fun to watch. I much prefer an aggressive ground game. I don't mind if a fighter keep trying to get an opponent down, so long as their intention is to finish the fight. Demian Maia is a good example of a fighter who is extremely aggressive with his submissions when he gets down there. He throws up one submission after another.

I also appreciate some of the top strikers. Silva and Machida are good examples of that. Machida is so economical, but extremely accurate. And Anderson Silva is just a phenom on his feet. It was almost embarrassin how easily he put away Forrest Griffin.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
country flag Bibberz
RAJ KAREGA KHALSA

Bibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond reputeBibberz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydey View Post
Yeah, UFC is already huge. It's just getting bigger, though. Only a matter of time before it overtakes boxing, which has a lot of problems outside of its massive superfights.
Definitely. Basically any kid growing up in America who likes boxing also has some interest in MMA, but there are a TON of kids who like MMA and only MMA.

Speaking of superfights--I'm coming, Clydey. And I'm bringing the thunder.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibberz View Post
Definitely. Basically any kid growing up in America who likes boxing also has some interest in MMA, but there are a TON of kids who like MMA and only MMA.

Speaking of superfights--I'm coming, Clydey. And I'm bringing the thunder.
You vill lose.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:04 AM   #14
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

Two down, one to go. Great performances from Florian and Mir. Need Sanchez to upset Penn for a £60 payout.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 AM   #15
country flag Clydey
Cutedey

It was a long shot. BJ was far too good for Sanchez.