The 2009 Challenger Player of the Year [Winner: Horacio Zeballos] - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who is the 2009 Challenger Player of the Year?

Florian Mayer 2 1.92%
Horacio Zeballos 43 41.35%
Dustin Brown 4 3.85%
Benjamin Becker 6 5.77%
Thiemo de Bakker 33 31.73%
Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jr. 3 2.88%
Lukas Lacko 3 2.88%
Michael Russell 4 3.85%
Xavier Malisse 1 0.96%
Other (Please specify) 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #76
country flag Caio_Brasil

Caio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond reputeCaio_Brasil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2009 Challenger Player of the Year [Vote Now]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy View Post
I have no opinion about the „Challenger Player of the year“.
The challenger tournaments are overpointed, winning 75-90 points for a victory is a joke, so it is logical that such players like Zeballos have such a high ranking. In my eyes, he is a coward and I hope that he will fall down next year. He has only won just a few matches against Top 100 players and is now Top 50, this should be forbidden by the ATP by reducing the points for these tournaments.
It is logical that other players who had courage and took part in Word Tour tournaments cannot have such a summary at the end of year though they are maybe players with a lot more of potential. Therefore this „titel“ is not significant for me.
Well this is the Challenger Player of the Year contest so we should be analyzing challenger matches and titles. Also Horacio was a finalist in a World Tour tournament and won a match in the US Open after passing through qualies, which is something the biggest part of the "brave players" didn't achieve.
Caio_Brasil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #77
country flag willoughby

willoughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have no opinion about the „Challenger Player of the year“.
The challenger tournaments are overpointed, winning 75-90 points for a victory is a joke, so it is logical that such players like Zeballos have such a high ranking. In my eyes, he is a coward and I hope that he will fall down next year. He has only won just a few matches against Top 100 players and is now Top 50, this should be forbidden by the ATP by reducing the points for these tournaments.
It is logical that other players who had courage and took part in Word Tour tournaments cannot have such a summary at the end of year though they are maybe players with a lot more of potential. Therefore this „titel“ is not significant for me.
The points have already been reduced this year. You are not a coward for playing challengers

and don't forget that Zeballos also reached an ATP Final this year.
willoughby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #78
country flag Holy

Holy has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond reputeHoly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMurrayFan View Post
The points have already been reduced this year. You are not a coward for playing challengers

In St.Petersburg he won against No. 218, 142, 100 and 103 and lost against No. 93, so this was a lucky strike. Nice for him, but he will never do it again.

Besides that, you can get 90 points by winning an "average" challenger, but you have to reach the semifinals in a World 250 or a quarterfinal in a World 500 tournament. For me, this is a joke, my opinion.
Holy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #79
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In St.Petersburg he won against No. 218, 142, 100 and 103 and lost against No. 93, so this was a lucky strike. Nice for him, but he will never do it again.

Besides that, you can get 90 points by winning an "average" challenger, but you have to reach the semifinals in a World 250 or a quarterfinal in a World 500 tournament. For me, this is a joke, my opinion.
I think the difference between Challengers and ATP events is much smaller than you're acknowledging, and the fact that players like Dodig, Marchenko, Stakhovsky and Zeballos had a good run in at least one of those events this year illustrates that. If anything, the fact that the points you can win in Challengers have been lowered this year is a bad thing.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robredo|Smycze k|J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #80
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
Obviously it's Zeballos. Jumping from 200-50 playing exclusively challengers is something that is rarely seen, must less something that can be done. I want to vote for Russel and Baghdatis for Zeba's resume is just too good. De Bakker & Dolgo & Becker have been amazing on the challenger tour this year also. Great candidates up there, but pretty easy vote for me.

I think the late Mathieu Montcourt deserves an "other" most notable request
There are two things you have to keep in mind though:
  1. Zeballos beat relatively poor players in most of the Challengers he won, especially in the first half of the season.
  2. He reached the final in St. Petersburg, so that boosted his ranking quite significantly as well.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers

Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #81
country flag marquez
Banned!

marquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2009 Challenger Player of the Year [TBA]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Too many dutch members who closely follow CH events, the majority events Zeballos won in Southamerica where micky mouse Chalengers with awful competition, he should have been man enough and came to Europe to prove how good he is....
of course the general level at most SA challengers is lower than in Europe
its just the consistency of zeballos which puts him clearly ahead of the european players imo
you cant really blame him for beating opponents that are not as strong as they might have been on the european ch tour. you cant even blame him for beating poorer players in 3 sets, you might call it not convincing, but in the end he won these matches.
he has beaten players like chela,massu and gaudio as well when it mattered. especially his match with gaudio in BA was high quality and it showed that zeballos is able to raise his level when he needs to.
marquez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #82
country flag marquez
Banned!

marquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond reputemarquez has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Thiemo and I'm happy to see him climbing up the rankings, but if you look his results up you see that he hasn't had too many strong opponents when he was on his hot streak. still he played a good consistent season but beating these opponents(apart from riba & luczak) doesn't put him ahead of zeballos imo:

Brasov, Romania; 31.08.2009; CH; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 32

Round Opponent Ranking Score
R32 Adrian Cruciat (ROU) 327 W 6-0, 6-3 Stats
R16 Matwe Middelkoop (NED) 282 W 6-4, 5-7, 7-5 Stats
Q Sergio Gutierrez-Ferrol (ESP) 416 W 6-4, 6-4 Stats
S Francesco Aldi (ITA) 359 W 6-2, 6-0 Stats
W Pere Riba (ESP) 157 W 7-5, 6-0 Stats

This Event Points: 75, South African Airways ATP Ranking: 151, Prize Money: €4,300

San Sebastian, Spain; 17.08.2009; CH; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 32

R32 Miguel Angel Lopez Jaen (ESP) 255 W 6-4, 6-2 Stats
R16 Boris Pashanski (SRB) 315 W 6-4, 6-4 Stats
Q Jose Checa-Calvo (ESP) 260 W 6-7(4), 6-0, 6-3 Stats
S Pedro Clar-Rossello (ESP) 433 W 6-3, 6-2 Stats
W Filip Krajinovic (SRB) 391 W 6-2, 6-3 Stats

This Event Points: 75, South African Airways ATP Ranking: 169, Prize Money: €4,300

Vigo, Spain; 10.08.2009; CH; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 32

R32 Michel Koning (NED) 310 W 6-1, 6-1 Stats
R16 Pablo Santos (ESP) 219 W 6-4, 6-2 Stats
Q Ivan Navarro (ESP) 123 W 7-5, 6-1 Stats
S Pablo Andujar (ESP) 120 W 2-6, 6-1, 6-1 Stats
W Thierry Ascione (FRA) 248 W 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 Stats

This Event Points: 75, South African Airways ATP Ranking: 207, Prize Money: €4,300

San Marino, San Marino; 03.08.2009; CH; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 32

R32 Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jr. (UKR) 210 L 6-0, 6-7(8), 4-6 Stats

This Event Points: , South African Airways ATP Ranking: 208, Prize Money: €885

Tampere, Finland; 27.07.2009; CH; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 32

R32 Alexander Peya (AUT) 252 W 6-4, 6-4 Stats
R16 Philipp Oswald (AUT) 319 W 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(1) Stats
Q Andreas Haider-Maurer (AUT) 192 W 6-4, 1-0 RET Stats
S Alberto Brizzi (ITA) 287 W 6-0, 6-0 Stats
W Peter Luczak (AUS) 113 W 6-4, 7-6(7) Stats

This Event Points: 75, South African Airways ATP Ranking: 256, Prize Money: €6,150
marquez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #83
country flag Aapje

Aapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond reputeAapje has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMurrayFan View Post
But if you take that into consideration, you have to be fair and also look at the non-challenger results of other players. For instance, De Bakker defeated Monfils (#13) in the Davis cup.
Aapje is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #84
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapje View Post
But if you take that into consideration, you have to be fair and also look at the non-challenger results of other players. For instance, De Bakker defeated Monfils (#13) in the Davis cup.
Neither Zeballos' ATP final nor De Bakker's DC results should play a role here.
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #85
country flag eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

My vote goes to Zeballos, as we have to choose . . . only one player ;*)
eric is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #86
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond reputenjnetswill has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to give Dustin his first vote

Winner:2012 Madrid, 2011 Rome, 2009 Delray Beach, Montreal 2008 Toronto, 2007 New Haven, 2005 St. Petersburg

TT Singles Career High: 7
TT Doubles Career High: 4

Singles Winner: 2010 Bucharest, 2007 Indian Wells
Doubles Winner: 2012 San Jose, Queens (w/hallso) 2011 Los Angeles (w/hallso)
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #87
country flag willoughby

willoughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond reputewilloughby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapje View Post
I didn't take that into consideration.
I was answering to Holy and explaining him that Zeballos did not achieve good results only at challenger level this year (also at the USO and St.Pete)
willoughby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #88
MONSOON season.

I've given it a bit more thought and decided that there is no way to not vote for Zeballos.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #89
country flag Klaas_nalbandian

Klaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond reputeKlaas_nalbandian has a reputation beyond repute

zeballos or de Bakker, they both had a really good season or half a season. Guess they are very happy with their improvements. Now they have to show if they are worth beinig in the top 100. I voted for de Bakker but of course Zeballos deserves it as well

Escude-Kuerten
Dutch players

Gasquet-Ferrero-Lopez-Mathieu

Nadal-Acasuso-Haas-Youzhny-Berdych-Gonzalez-Tursunov

Söderling-Del Potro-Bellucci-Lapentti-Roddick-Verdasco
Klaas_nalbandian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #90
Ivanatis

Ivanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond reputeIvanatis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnetswill View Post
I decided to give Dustin his first vote

gave him his 3rd, he's not the best, but my favourite from those mentioned and if I'd have voted him or the one who I considered best, is pretty irrelevant

my ranking in terms of class:
1. Becker
2. Zeballos
3. De Bakker
Ivanatis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote