Soderking Interviews, News & Articles Thread - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #91
country flag swedes_rule

swedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soderking Interviews, News & Articles Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnRus View Post
R Soderling - 28 June 2010
Monday, 28 June 2010

Q. When you were growing up, which Grand Slam did you dream of winning?

ROBIN SODERLING: All of them. (Laughter.) Many times.

No, of course I think, for me, Wimbledon is the biggest one. Even though, you know, if I had to pick one I really wanted to win, I would pick Wimbledon.

But it would be okay to win French and US Open as well.

Any other Aussies Slightly offended by this comment? just because he always plays crap here doesnt mean we dont want him to win!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #92
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute

AgnRus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #93
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute

R. Soderling - 30 June 2010
Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Q. It was a brilliant start for you. What will you say went wrong for you or what went right for Nadal?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think the difference was that he returned a little bit better than me. Uhm, I was a little bit frustrated today because I didn't put many returns in.

Of course, he served pretty well. But it's not like I'm playing one of the best servers on tour. I have to at least put some more returns back in play.

Q. How was your left foot? You received some treatment at the end of the third set. Was that hampering you a bit?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I have a small blister on my toe. I won't die. I think I'll be fine.

Q. So it's no reason...

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, again, I had a small blister on my toe, so nothing serious.

Q. Did you think it would be more politic to wait until the end of the set, given he was about to serve?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, it was hurting me quite a lot. I think it's better to have it fixed than play with it. Don't you think?

Q. Do you think you rushed the first set?

ROBIN SODERLING: I'm sorry?

Q. Do you think you rushed the first set, you were in a hurry?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think I started well. And, you know, in first set I was a bit lucky to win the breakpoints. During the last three sets, I had my chances. Well, in the second and the third. I didn't really take them. So I think that was the biggest difference.

Q. At the start of the second set you successfully challenged the call. Rafa was quite upset that he lost that point. Do you think that kind of fired him up that he improved after that?

ROBIN SODERLING: No. I don't know, I haven't thought about it. It was a really important point. And, you know, I had the ball in play on the breakpoint, but he played well.

I don't know if that was a change. But, again, it was a really important one for me.

Q. You had points on a lot of his service games. I think he had very few when he saved to love. Do you feel he was serving weaker than he has in the past or were you returning well, especially at the start?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I think he served like he always does. He put a lot of first serves in. He doesn't have a huge serve, but it's pretty good, especially on grass.

I didn't return so well. I was a little bit frustrated. I think in my first three matches I returned really well. Last one and this one, not so good. So I think that was the biggest difference.

Q. Do you think, like the Ferrer match, take out of you some points of stamina? I mean, did you feel a little bit tired or not so confident after the Ferrer match?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, no. It was a long match, but yesterday I felt good in practice. And today physically I feel fine.

So, no, not really.

Q. Do you think Rafa is playing as well this year as anyone? How does he compare, his level, as in the French Open?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think he's playing well. He's hitting the ball very well. Of course, he's moving well, as always.

But, you know, it's very difficult to compare how he's playing on grass compared to clay. But he's the world No. 1, and I think he's playing pretty solid tennis. He's got a good chance to win this one.

Q. You say he has a good chance to win the tournament?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think so, yeah. I think everybody still in has a good chance. But now that Roger lost, I'd pick him as the favorite.

Q. If you were to look back and check the Rafa of 2007, the long match between you guys, and the Rafa of today, what's the difference for you?

ROBIN SODERLING: In his game?

Q. Yes.

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think he's playing a little bit more aggressive now on faster surfaces. I'd say on clay he's playing pretty much the same. But, again, on faster surface, he's playing a little bit more aggressive.

Q. I take it would have known about the Federer result. I think it was a bit after the first set. Did that affect your match in any way because you saw he'd gone out?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, no, no (laughter).
Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #94
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
http://hd.se/sport/2010/07/10/robin-...avorittrycket/

Swedes, please translate what Robin says
Alright.

Reporter: Well, Robin, how did it feel to return to Bċstad as reigning champion?

Robin: Yeah, that's a special feeling of course. I've grown up [watching] this tournament and I've been here for so many years, and it's always fun. I've got so many good memories from this place, so... it feels amazing.

Reporter: Yes, which is the greatest memory? Except for the Win, I mean.

Robin: Heh, not counting the victory... no, I don't really have a best memory, I have so many of them. It's just Bċstad as a city for me... it means tennis. And I've spent so many summers here that there's too many memories to pick from. I remember watching when [Vinciguerra] was in the final... It might have been here that I first took a liking to tennis. And then I played here myself [in the Swedish Open], and in contests for juniors and in Kalle Anka cup and so on (literally: Donald Duck Cup, classic swedish tennis tournament for kids). And I've watched Swedish Open every year, so... Bċstad is really something special for me.

Reporter: You return here year after year, but now you return as world #5, is it a different feeling coming here having a ranking that high?

Robin: Actually, not really. Every time I enter a contest, whichever contest it is and whereever it's held, I'm always very focused. It's a great feeling to know that I have a good chance of winning here if I play well, I showed that last year. But on the other hand I'm also very aware that I indeed have to play well. Because it's that tough of a tourney, if you don't play well, you won't win any matches.

Reporter: The conditions seem favorable for you, Tomas Berdych isn't coming...

Robin: Yeh well, he's not coming but as I said, there are many other good players participating. But sure, I have a good chance of winning here if I play well - but I have to do that too.

Reporter: We've got the draw here... it can be an all Swedish affair already in your first match.

Robin: Yeah... it's not too often you play another Swede nowadays on the tour, so... I really hope for Vinci's sake that he wins his first round match, and then that our match will be a good one. We had a great match in the semi here last year, so we'll have to hope for a rematch of that kind.

Reporter: Except for Vinci, there's Filip Prpic and Christian Lindell too. What do you say about them?

Robin: It's good that they've gotten Wildcards, and both... especially Prpic has worked hard for a very long time on the challenger tour, and he's a real good player so it's great that he gets the chance. And it's the same for Christian, he's young and on his way up... I know that it was huge for me when I recieved a Wild card and got to play the best, you learn a lot by doing that.

Reporter: Have your legs recuperated from Wimbledon now?

Robin: Yes, the have. That doesn't take long. I've played many tournaments now so I've gotten pretty good at relaxing, and now I'm fully focusing on Bċstad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
I didn't see the match but I hope Nadal's injury isn't too serious. Get well soon Rafa!
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #95
country flag AgnRus

An Interview With: Robin Soderling
Saturday, September 4, 2010

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You must be very happy with the way you've been playing in this tournament. You seem to be cruising pretty much through.

ROBIN SODERLING
: Except the first round. No, it's been better and better, I think. Started my first match maybe not so great, but after that I think I played two pretty good matches. And today was not easy. It was difficult conditions. I told myself before the match, It's not gonna be pretty. I think during the circumstances, I played a pretty good match.

Q
. How would you say this connects to the rest of the summer on hardcourts for you?

ROBIN SODERLING
: Well, I only played two tournaments, and I think, you know, I had two good wins and two losses against good players. Maybe the result hasn't been really what I wanted to, but I played some pretty good tennis, so it's been okay. It's been good preparation for this tournament.

Q. These days, when fans of Roger and Rafa look at the draw, the first thing they look for is, Where is Soderling? How does that feel?

ROBIN SODERLING
: (Smiling.) Well, I think they should look for many other players, because I think there's a lot of players who can do really well. Of course, in any tournament, when Roger and Rafa is playing, they will be the favorites. But, again, I think there is many players who can actually beat them.

Q. Have you played any better this year than you did when you played against Federer in Paris?

ROBIN SODERLING:
What was that?

Q.
Have you played any better than you did in that match in Paris?

ROBIN SODERLING: It's tough to compare matches. It was definitely a very good match. It's tough to say if it was one of my best ones, but of course, you know, it's always difficult to play against Roger. I played him a lot of times, and I think almost except from that last match I never felt that I played well. But that's not because of me. That's because of him, because he makes you play bad. So I think it was a very good match. One of my best five matches this year.

Q
. One of his last service games he hit, I think it was a service winner ultimately, but you had some problem with that. I don't know if it was a Hawk Eye issue, or a call issue. You spoke to the umpire a little bit. Do you remember that?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, yeah. It was a let serve. I think during the match there were a couple of strange let calls. I think she called let when not one of us heard, and it then all of a sudden she didn't call it. Yeah, I think it was the machine.

Q. When you came on the tour, what would you have thought was your best surface, and what do you think your best surface is now?

ROBIN SODERLING: Now I'm not sure. (Smiling.) When I started, I had my best results indoors and on faster surfaces. But I think last two years I played very good on all surfaces, especially on clay. So now I'm not sure anymore, which is a good thing, because I really feel like I can do well on any surface.

Q.
How close to ideal do you feel this surface is to you in terms of your comfort level on the court?

ROBIN SODERLING
: Well, I think it's a good surface for me. I played well here in the past. Um, the thing is that a lot of the courts are not the same. Some courts are a little bit faster. Some courts are a little bit slower. So I think some courts suits me better than other ones. But overall, I think it's pretty good for me. It's not too fast, not too slow. It's good.

Q. Why do you think this is the one Slam that Nadal has not won? You're very familiar, obviously, with his game. You've seen him on all the different surfaces. In your mind, why do you think the US Open has been particularly difficult for him?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think you should ask him. He could easily have won this one, as well. But I think it might be the fastest one, and even though he has improved his game on the fastest surfaces, I think he still is a better player on the bit slower surfaces. Maybe that is why. But I think he will definitely have a good chance to win this tournament a couple of times.

Q. If he is successful here, given his head to head with Roger, do you think it's a matter of time before he'll be looked at maybe as even greater than Roger?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, he's still very young, and of course he needs to win a lot more matches and a lot more tournaments before he's at the same level as Roger. But if he's gonna be healthy, he for sure have a lot of more years, and he's for sure gonna be win many more tournaments. It's tough to say, but he definitely got the chance. He's got a very good game, and he also got a good game for any surface, you know. I think it shows. He won so many tournaments on all different surfaces.

Q. You have a reputation as a giant killer. I'm sure that's a pleasant one to have. Is it ever irritating? Do you feel you're ready to move on to the next level where you're a giant instead of a giant killer?

ROBIN SODERLING: Oh, no, I don't really care. I think Roger and Rafa, they're best two players in the world right now. I think it will remain like that for a couple of years. But, you know, I'm in the top 5. Of course I want to improve. I want to do better. But it's also a matter of doing well many matches, many tournaments in a row, not only ones here and there. I think you need to play at a very consistent level throughout the whole year.

Q. You go about your business very quietly. Is it getting harder to do that with the kind of attention you're getting now because of your recent results?

ROBIN SODERLING
: Well, a little bit maybe. But, you know, I still feel the same, and I'm doing the same things every day: working on my game and trying not to think about other stuff. I think I've been handling it pretty well. I still want to improve, and hopefully -- I'm still not that old, so hopefully I can do that.

Q. Peter talked about how people look at where you are in the draw. Have you looked a bit ahead? Do you know what's coming possibly next round and the round after?

ROBIN SODERLING
: Yeah, I saw Montanes won in his match against Nishikori. I will play him in the next round, which will be a very difficult match. We played many times. We had tough matches. Yeah, I think here was the first round last year we had a tough four setter, I think. He's a good player. It's gonna be tough.

Q. Do you know what might happen the round after that?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. Everybody has been telling me that since the draw came out. I'm going against Roger in the quarters. He still needs to win two more matches, and I still have to win one more. It's still far ahead.

Q. Does that bother you people have been telling you, or it's gonna happen no matter what you do?

ROBIN SODERLING
: No, I mean, I'm the fifth seed, so I know I'm gonna play one of the four top guys in quarters. I mean, they're all good players, so it doesn't really matter who I'm playing.

Q.
I assume you're still coached by Magnus. You appear to be very well coached. Can you just comment on the kinds of things you've been doing and how you've been maintaining this level?

ROBIN SODERLING: Ah, yeah, we've been working on many different things. I think if you look at all the top guys, they don't really have any weaknesses. They are all very complete players. That's what we've been trying to work on, you know. We've been working a lot on my footwork, on my movement around the court, and also playing a little bit more aggressive, coming to the net sometimes. It's been working, but we are still working on it, and hopefully I'm pretty sure it can improve even more.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/int...ype-tweetcount
Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #96
country flag AgnRus

Notes On the Anti-Christ

by Pete Bodo

New York—It was a gorgeous day under post-hurricane blue skies, filled with brilliant white clouds sailing through the ether like so many shanked backhands in a Federer vs. Nadal match, a beautiful day for a massacre. And I knew of at least one player who's cut out to perform that job, Robin Soderlng.

You know, the fella seen by fans of Federer, Nadal, or even both as...the anti-christ. The lumbering, brutish, inward Swede not known for his contributions to charity, his buddy-buddy relationship with celebrity athletes, or cameo appearances in music videos. Soderling. The guy who always looks as if just rolled in from a few weeks of felling 300-foot tall evergreens somewhere just south of the Arctic Circle.

Soderling is a constant threat to our conviction that while size and power matter in tennis, they don't count for all that much. And he challenges that assumption in a way that some may find intimidating. He's a histrionics-free tennis player; where others make a fist and pump it, or punch the air, he merely jiggles his after winning a particularly important point, like a reprobate preparing to roll the die at the craps table. Nor does Soderling have any of the trademark exuberance that has become de rigeur in the era of Nadal. His joie de combat is that of a mature man engaged in serious business, not that of a boy succeeding at a sometimes frustrating game. Soderling rolls into a tournament like a gathering storm; it's all lull until all hell breaks loose.

I went out to watch Soderling lock horns with Thiemo de Bakker, a 21-year-old from the Hague, Netherlands. Like Soderling, de Bakker is 6-foot-4, but he gives away nearly 50 pounds in weight advantage (or disadvantage, given that lugging kilos around a court on a hot day is part of the job description). De Bakker is a work in progress ("I need to get more decent with a few things," he concedes, "with executing shots") but he makes good, lean power and can serve bullets.

It was windy out on Armstrong; so much so that when a puff or gust hit the chair umpire's mike, it sounded like the rumble of thunder under a bright sun. Soderling eschewed the obligatory headwear, and while it's cooler than it's been, I get the feeling that it's just as much a reflection of his Spartan proclivities (I'll bet this guy don't need no stinkin' sunblock, either). Soderling survived a five-set scare in the first round, but then he crushed pile-driving Taylor Dent in straights, so I was half expecting the blowout and that's just what we got: Soderling beat de Bakker ("D-Bak," as one New Yorker accustomed to the construction kept shouting) 6-2, 6-3, 6-3.

This gave me a good opportunity to focus on Soderling, rather than the particulars of the match, so let's wander through my notebook:

Set 1: Soderling broke right off the bat, and never relaxed his grip. What struck me right off the bat was the dimensions of his upper body. This guy has wide shoulders, lumberjack shoulders. When he walks, his weight is distributed equally on the balls of his feel, but you can almost feel gravity tugging him from behind; he sometimes looks like he's in danger of falling over backwards. He often hits his forehand from an open stance, his belly protruding, but he gets an enormous amount of power from a combination of shoulder rotation and racquet-head speed.

Set 2: The match was only 32 minutes old and Soderling was already up a set and a break. After he hit one of his many inside-out forehand winners, the fan behind me could only cluck, "Nice...nice...nice." We rightly think of Soderling as a power player; a guy who loads up and goes for broke. While that's an accurate description, it's also true that Soderling has really well grooved strokes, off both wings. His stroking discipline is extremely high for so explosive a guy, which is one of the things that makes him different from, say, Fernando Gonzalez.

One of Soderling's more subtle assests is that he hits relatively flat or with a great deal of spin with equal proficiency. His timing is so good that you can tell whether he's hitting relatively flat or with spin without even looking at the path or angle of his racquet head as he swings. You can hear what he's doing; it's clear as a bell. It struck me that this is a very well-coached guy (credit to Magnus Norman), and when I shared that impression with Soderling afterward he said, "We've been working on many different things.... We've been working a lot on my footwork, on my movement around the court, and also on playing a little bit more aggressive, coming to net sometimes."

Of course, there's only so much you can do with a guy like Soderling, who's OK once he gets rolling, but not so easily started. Sometimes, you can see that his torso is willing but his feet are not, so he wastes a half-step—it almost appears as a stutter-step—moving out. It's as if he needs to go in stages. But his anticipation is decent, his legs are capable of eating up ground quickly, and he's got good reach. De Bakker tried to exploit Soderling's difficulty getting moving, as well as the trouble a man of his size has changing directions quickly, with the drop shot. The ploy was successful a number of times, but not enough to make much of a difference. This is a high-risk gambit. Soderling isn't really the guy you want in a position to shove the ball down your throat; not unless you also want to see it coming out the other end.

I had to smile when Soderling, down on serve at 15-30 and 3-all in the second set, powdered a forehand that landed so close to out that de Bakker, convinced it was long, immediately consulted Hawk-Eye. Soderling knew the ball was good; he felt it and trusted his instincts to such an extent that, despite the relative importance of the call (the difference between 30-all and break point), he didn't even bother to watch the reprise on the big screen.
Set 3: Soderling's limitations are intrinsically bound up with his strengths, which in real-world terms is called making the best of things. While his movement is ponderous, his stroking is rock-solid and smooth. There's an urge to grace latent in his game—you can see it in his ball toss, the way his tossing hand remains extended, palm and fingers gracefully posed, for a noticeably long time. And for a big man, he gets down to the ball when stretched wide with surprising agility and body control; one of his better shots on the day was the rolled, cross-court forehand, hit from way off the court and deep in his own corner. He made that shot repeatedly, and if de Bakker's reply wasn't a big blow down the line with his own forehand, Soderling was right back in the point.

It's common knowledge that Soderling has a fine inside-out forehand. But his iniside-out backhand is also superb. They say that the down-the-line backhand is the real money shot in tennis, so the ability to hit it inside-out, from well inside the sideline ascends almost to the level of an astounding parlor trick. There's a reason this guy has been winning consistently, even if he has struggled some this summer.

When Soderling was asked what surface he expected to be his best, at the onset of his career, he replied: "When I started, I had my best results on indoors and faster surfaces. But I think the last two years I played very good on all surfaces, especially on clay. So now I'm not sure anymore, which is a good thing because I feel I can really do well on any surface."

First and foremost, that's a testament to the advances Soderling has made in technique; for a man of his size and skill sets, the consistency and fluidity of his execution is remarkable.

So where is he going, long-term? He knows that he's the giant killer and occupies a unique niche. When a draw comes out these days, the first question of Federer and Nadal fans is apt to be: Where's Robin? Soderling is so accustomed to this that he finds it amusing. "Yeah, everybody has been telling me since the draw came out: I'm going against Roger in the quarters. But he still needs to win two more matches, and I have to win one more, so it's still far ahead. I'm the fifth seed, so I know I'm gonna play one of the four top guys in the quarters. They're all really good players, so it doesn't matter who I'm playing."

One of the noteworthy ironies in play here is that despite Soderling's Bunyanesque game and appearance, he seems a man capable of seeing all sides of an issue; he's a soft-spoken fellow with a cautious, ambivalent manner and traces of a lisp. I wondered, will he be content as the giant-killer? Does he yearn, as we might expect, to be a giant?

"Oh, I don't really care. I think Roger and Rafa, they're the two best players in the world right now. I think it will remain like that for a couple of years. But of course I want to improve. I want to do better. But it's also a matter of doing well in many matches, many tournaments in a row, not only ones here and there."

All anti-Christs ought to be so mellow.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...ti-christ.html
Old 09-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #97
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All anti-Christs ought to be so mellow.o

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tenni...ti-christ.html
I saw the title and was feeling angry, as Bodo is the same sensationalistic journalist who wrote last year at the WTFs that Robin was a "Wolf" and poor little Rafa was "an Elk Calf". He has written MANY similar negative pieces on David Nalbandian throughout the years always casting him as some sort of cartoon villain that the elegant and noble Roger and Rafa had to defeat to keep consuming multiple slams that are theirs to own without any challenge warranted or desired.

But now from reading this article, I see Bodo has reached a point where he is actually lampooning himself. This is another "Robin is Evil" article, but in disguise this time (great that he actually watched him play for once ), and he is actually starting to realize how ludicrous it it is to pick on the "Giant Killer" as opposed to the Giants. I'm never going to like Bodo, but at least it shows some growth that he is able to able to start self-parodying his own ridiculous personifications. The article actually comes off as somewhat sympathetic to Soda, which in a "Bodo tennis world", is quite an achievement for Robin.

I offer this to Bodo for insight. Robin doesn't care if you want to keep casting him as Wile E. Coyote and Rafa as the Road Runner. He will still politely answer your questions, give you the respect a human being deserves and ignore the fact you don't mention any of his charitable works or the high regard his close friends have for him and his character. He is not going to warm up to the role you want him to wear as a World Wrestling Style Villain; he will keep being himself while you rant and rave, blundering for some entertaining negative angle to take on him. But I give you credit for hinting that you are starting to see how ridiculous your own angles on Soda have been and he isn't properly playing the "Anti-Christ" role as one who would greedily work that angle for a few Machievellian extra bucks the way you work the news journalism world in the same manner.

It might have something to do with the fact he never was a villain, and he always will have his talent, hard work, self-respect and a great game. He will continue to break the rules you set for a boring tennis world where the competition worship Fed and Rafa and roll over for them because the masses worship phoney two-dimensional "star" personas and love seeing the Royalty say "Let them eat cake" to the competition. Robin will continue to try his best to beat them; and if he fails, he will try harder the next time. To Robin, Tennis is still a sport about "competition" instead of "star worshipping" entertainment.

I know that isn't as entertaining as the dumbed down masses desire, Bodo, but you can always continue to write self-parodies of your own cartoon world to keep yourself employed as a Tennis analyst. It has inexplicably worked for you for years now. You know how to get around that "talent" issue and keep the checks coming in. Robin and you have so little in common.
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================

Last edited by Nolby : 09-05-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #98
country flag AgnRus

Robin Soderling Plays at The Venetian Macau

Asiatatler.com speaks to world’s number five tennis star Robin Soderling on his favorite game, the upcoming The Venetian Macau Tennis Showdown 2010, and beating Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal

Currently ranked number five, and with an ongoing cross-court bicker match with Spaniard Rafael Nadal, Swedish tennis star Robin Soderling has attracted much attention on and off court. But despite all the off-court drama, it really is his game that has turned heads: thanks to his sharp returns as well as his precise and aggressive serves, Soderling has given Nadal and Federer, who have been sitting comfortably in the top ranks, a run for their game. For now, Bjorn Borg remains the legendary Swedish tennis hero; but the pending question is, will the young Soderling soon snatch that title, too? Asiatatler.com speaks to Soderling about his upcoming match, defining moments, and his competition.

Asiatatler.com: This is your first visit to Macau: how long are you there for, and what do you expect at The Venetian?

Robin Soderling: I will be in Macao for two days. I heard the Venetian is amazing and know that Roger, Pete, Borg, McEnroe and Agassi have all played this event over the last years. I hear that they put on a great show with lots of music, entertainment and with the exciting format.

AT: Do you enjoy exhibition matches, or do you ever find it difficult to motivate yourself for them?

RS: Special events allow us to play in places we would not ordinarily reach. Like my visit to Vietnam, Abu Dhabi and now Macau. The higher you reach in the rankings, the more chances like this one has. It's an added incentive to play well so that the rewards both in life experience terms and financially continue. I only play special events when they have a perfect fit with my schedule. I am always super motivated to win so when there is another top player on the other side of the net, I go full power.

AT: Of the other three players at the event, are there any you particularly like or dislike playing against?

RS: I have had some very tough matches against Tomas - last year in a Challenger Final and this year in the semis of Roland Garros - which was very high powered tennis. He got to the final at Wimbledon and I got to the finals after beating him in Paris. Niko is so tough, he is such a dangerous player, he is very fast and gets every ball back. David is also one of the fastest players on the Tour and, he does not miss a lot of the balls, in fact, he reached the Final of the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

AT: What's been the proudest moment of your career so far?

RS: There has been quite a few. Beating the defending champion Rafael in Paris last year handing him his only loss at Roland Garros, and finally beating Roger Federer, also the defending Champion at Roland Garros this year both ranked up there.

AT: What are your short-term ambitions - your targets over the next 12 months?

RS: To keep winning, playing well, staying healthy, be positive on court and being the best that I can be. And of course, great results in the Grand Slams.

AT: Who are your idols - both inside and outside tennis?

RS: Sweden has such a rich tradition of top tennis stars with Bjorn Borg of course leading the way as one of the greats of tennis. Bjorn recently said that he thinks I have the game to be 31 so it's is a lot of pressure on me coming from him!

AT: Do you have any ambitions after your tennis career finishes?

RS: Right now I am focused on being the best that i can be. Now is the time for tennis. When I am done, then I will think of other things.

http://www.asiatatler.com/hk/top_stories.php?id=5540
Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #99
country flag AgnRus

An interview with:ROBIN SODERLING

R. SODERLING/T. Robredo

4-6/6-1/ 6-4

THE INTERPRETER
: Questions, please.

Q. Tonight you lose the first set. How do you come back after last two sets?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, yeah, I lost the first set, but I think I played pretty good, anyway. I really felt like I almost played a little bit better than him, even though he won the first set.

But he came up with some really good tennis at the end of the first set to break me. But then, you know, I stepped up a little bit, and I think second set was really good for me. And then, of course, it was close again in the third, but overall I felt like I was playing a little bit better than him today.

Q. I just wanted to ask you how much confidence does it give you bouncing back tonight? We've seen so many of the top players kind of bounced out of the tournament quite early, and you fought back. Tell us how, just mentally, what that does.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, of course. I think it's always great to win tough matches for your confidence. And, I mean, to play Tommy in the first round, it's a very difficult first round, I think.

I think it's kind of late in the season and everybody is a little bit tired, but I'm feeling good physically and mentally, so it's really good to have this win and hopefully I can build on this and play even better in my next match.

Q. We all know you reached the French Open final twice. We want to know what you learned from that. The other question is does it surprise you you have so many fans in China?

ROBIN SODERLING: It's a lot of people here, so it's good to have a couple of fans. (Laughter.)

Yeah, I think I learned a lot from the first year in Paris. I think, you know, before that tournament my results in the Grand Slam were not so good, and then all of a sudden, you know, I made it to the fourth round for the first time.

After that, you know, I kind of relaxed a little bit. Then I had this great match against Rafa in the fourth round, and, you know, I think after that, you know, I realized that I can actually do well in the Grand Slams, and after that I think I have been having really good results in the Grand Slam tournaments.

http://www.chinaopen.com.cn/en/news/.../1436157.shtml
Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #100
country flag sunzhewyq

sunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond repute

7 October 2010   R. SODERLING/N. Almagro
  7 5, 4 6, 6 3

Q. Seemed like you used your serve today to get yourself out of quite a few jams. Was that a big factor today? Also, could you just comment in general on the match?
  ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I think we both served really well, especially like on all the important points。
  Yeah, I'm really happy with my serve. I think, you know, when I'm serving well, I'm always playing well, because it makes it easier, you know, to relax and play my game and in my return games, as well。
  You know, I think it was a good match, very small margins, but I was able to play really well to break him in the third set。
  Q. During the game, did the frequent yellings of your opponent affect your performance?
  ROBIN SODERLING: I'm sorry?
  Q. During the game, did the frequent yellings of your opponent influence your performance?
  ROBIN SODERLING: No, not really. I think, as I said, it was a good match. I played against him a lot of times, and, you know, I was prepared. That's the way he is doing during matches. So, you know, I wasn't surprised. It didn't affect me。
  Q. Just wanting to know if the weather conditions this afternoon affected your game in any way and how you deal when the air is not so good, and also when the floodlights came on a bit early, as well. Does the smog effect you in any way and can you prepare for it at all?
  ROBIN SODERLING: We were just discussing if it's smog or fog. I don't know, but it's...
  Q. Well, the U.S. embassy in Beijing have a monitor by the hour, and it says it's at hazardous levels。
  ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, well, I was a little bit surprised when I looked out this morning and saw the weather, because I couldn't see the sun. I think it was pretty okay, you know. I didn't have any problems breathing or anything。
  I think it was a good match. At least, you know, we didn't have to bother with the sun in our eyes or anything like that, so it was good. (Smiling。)
  Q. I can see that you have your eye on the TV. Would you like to play Andy in the semis? Sorry, I couldn't help but notice。
  ROBIN SODERLING: (Smiling。) Well, I mean, I'm playing against Ferrer now and he's a great player. He played so well this year. I have to focus on this match。
  But, you know, it's always very fun and always very nice to play against one of the world's best, so we played a couple of times and I always enjoyed the matches we had. If I'm winning tomorrow and he's winning this and the next match, it would be really fun to play against him。
  Q. You have played with Almagro at the final of the Swedish Open this year. You lose to him. So anything you had changed today that you made a result change?
  ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I tried to play a little bit more aggressive today than I did the last time we played, but it's also different matches because this one the last one was on clay and this one was on hard court。
  There were a little bit difference, but I think, you know, I executed my game plan really well, was serving well and stayed aggressive, because against him you have to do it, because he's hitting the ball really hard and plays fast.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:52 AM   #101
country flag sunzhewyq

sunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond repute

An interview with: ROBIN SODERLING

2010-10-09 17:30

D. FERRER/R. Soderling
6-2/ 6-4
THE INTERPRETER: Questions, please.
Q. (Through translation.) How do you evaluate today's performance?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, it was not perfect, of course, but I think I was hitting the ball okay.
But he played really well, so of course I wish I had played a little bit better, but it was not so bad.
Q. Do you think the weather affects your performance? Because there is fog and maybe it would be influence your eyesight.
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, it's the same for everybody, so I don't think so.

only two questions.....
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #102
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he really played awful, but good he gives the credits to his opponent.
Ad Wim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #103
country flag AgnRus

Viewing Robin Söderling's 'Claim to Fame' Throughout His Career

By Dimitri Kay (Contributor) on October 18, 2010

1. The Underachiever

Söderling use to be known as an underachiever, a person who did not fulfill his true potential. He was credited for reaching the US Open Junior final in 2002, and then making his transition to the main tour in 2003 with a third round appearance at Wimbledon, after qualifying rounds, and a final appearance in the Stockholm final.

But consistent injuries mixed with poor results saw him drop out of the top 100.

2. Mocking Nadal at Wimbledon

In 2007 Söderling and Rafael Nadal met in the third round of Wimbledon.

They played a match that went to five sets and was played over a number of days because of rain delays. Although Nadal won the match, Söderling was the one who got all of the media attention. At the beginning of the fifth set Nadal was ready to serve when Söderling went to his chair to get a new racket.

When coming back on court Nadal seemed frustrated with this action. As Nadal was going through his service motion he stopped and held the ball high.. In response to that Söderling mocked Nadal by pulling at his shorts like the Spaniard is known to do. This caused outrage with Nadal fans and the incident was all over the media.

3. Only person to beat Nadal at the French Open

In 2009 seeded 23rd Söderling went through to the fourth round of a Grand Slam for the first time in his career.

His opponent? Non other than the four time defending champion Rafael Nadal.

One month earlier at the Rome Masters the Spaniard obliterated the Swede 6-1 6-0, therefore, many pundits believed this to be a cake walk for Nadal. However, Söderling scored the biggest win of his career and the biggest upset of the year by beating Nadal 6–2, 6–7(2), 6–4, 7–6(2). He went on to reach the final where he lost to Federer.

4. ‘The Giant Killer’, Beating Federer at the French Open

With this win came many statistics.

Söderling became only the second man to beat both Nadal and Federer at Grand Slam level (other being Del Potro who beat both men while going on to win the US Open). He also became the only person to beat both Nadal and Federer while they were the defending champions and world number ones.

Although the second statistic is a little far-fetched it is a good feat nonetheless. However, Söderling also prevented Federer from reaching his 24th consecutive Grand Slam semi-final since 2004 and stopped him from equaling Pete Sampras’ record of 286 total weeks as the number one seed.

5. Being a fifth seed Swede

All of a sudden the only statistic that is continuously being reminded to us by many pundits and commentators is that Söderling is the only Swedish tennis player ranked inside the top 300. Plus that he is "very dangerous on his day" and that "clay is now his best surface".

It goes nearly unnoticed that he is a two time Grand Slam finalist, but everybody knows that about Murray.

It is time for Söderling to make everyone remember him for a different reason. In order for him to achieve this he has to add some things to his resume.

6.Win a couple of Masters Series titles

These titles do wonders for careers. Davydenko’s career looks much more prestigious with his three titles plus his WTF title that he claimed last year. Plus he is considered a serious threat at these events. Same for Nalbandian.

7.Win at least two titles per year

This will big up his profile and make him a more serious top ten player. This year he has four finals but just one win in Rotterdam. Djokovic and Murray both have two titles this year and both get a lot of recognition. This also has to do with point No. 3.

8.Be more consistent throughout the year. Especially at the slams

Many thought that this would be the year when Söderling put a string of good performances together. However that was not the case. Even if he had one final and two quarter-finals at Grand Slam level he lost in the first round of the Australian Open.

In addition to this he has not always beat the top guys. He has only done so at the French Open. Same with the Masters Series. He reached the semi-finals both at Indian Wells and Miami but has not reached another since. Consistency is everything in tennis as the top four will tell you; Söderling has yet to manage this.

If he manages these three tasks next year, we will not be referring to him as being just the fifth seed, but as one of the “big five." Something that will mean he is feared and respected amongst his peers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...out-his-career
Old 10-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #104
country flag sunzhewyq

obliterate......

make the if Stockholm Open your the second title of this year...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #105
country flag DanaKz

DanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond reputeDanaKz has a reputation beyond repute

So Seems like we can start looking forward for 2011. Brisbane! From AussieOpen official twitter:

Quote:
Soderling, Petrova, Fish, Hantuchova and Gasquet all starting their 2011 #ausopen preparations at the Brisbane International.
Also Kooyong exhibition's organizers are in negotiations with Robin for their event, so...

Jan. 03-10 - Brisbane international
Jan. 12-14 - Kooyong (maybe)
Jan. 17-31 - Australian Open.

Last edited by DanaKz : 10-20-2010 at 05:09 AM.
DanaKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote