Soderking Interviews, News & Articles Thread - Page 13 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #181
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soderking Interviews, News & Articles Thread

The Last Time... With Robin Soderling

DEUCE
by James Buddell

World No. 5 and two-time Roland Garros finalist Robin Soderling reveals the last time...

I cooked for myself or others?

The last time I ever cooked... err.... I never cook! When I am home my girlfriend cooks for me or we go to a restaurant. I have never cooked for my parents. No. I might have boiled an egg for breakfast once. I can cook pasta, but not much.

I flew economy class?

I flew here to Estoril. Every time I fly short routes around Europe I go economy. Only the longer flights I book a business class ticket.

I met a childhood idol?

[After much consideration]... I met Mats Sundin, the ice hockey player, who played for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I met him only a couple of weeks ago in Stockholm.

I shared a hotel room with another player?

It must have been a long time ago. Probably at a Futures tournament.

I paid money to hire a court or buy tennis balls?

Last year in Barcelona, I came a week before the tournament and we couldn’t get the balls we wanted. We went to a sports stores, a Decathlon, to buy 20 cans of balls. After I paid, the guy asked me for my autograph. Hiring a court... it must have been a long time ago. I can't remember.

I played a practical joke in the locker room?

We do it a little bit in Davis Cup, but not on the tour. Every time I go to the tennis and I am in the locker room, I like to focus on my game so I don’t do it too much.

I forgot a family member’s birthday?

Yeah, for sure I have. Whenever it is my Mum’s birthday, my Dad always reminds me and my Mum reminds me of my sister’s birthday. Without them I would probably forget them all.

Being famous helped me?

It helps a lot at restaurants in Sweden. The popular restaurants are always full. So being recognised does help me get a table, which is very nice.

I strung a tennis racquet?

It must have been 10 years ago. I remember I was really slow. I can string, but it takes me one hour, an hour and a half. It takes me a while. My string tension hasn’t changed much since I was a junior. Maybe a little bit looser, one kilo.

I lost something important?

I lost my computer on a plane a year ago. It was really tough. I had so many important things on it and I had no back-up. So that was brutal.

I last asked someone for their autograph?

I remember I collected a lot of autographs of tennis players as a kid. But recently it was Henrik Larsson, the Swedish footballer. I asked him for an autograph for my sister’s son.

I played another sport that might have caused me a minor injury?

No, I try not to play other sports. Sometimes I play ice hockey in Sweden in the winter, but not too much. In Davis Cup we play football and you’re always close to injury there!

I was asked if I was a tennis player?

It must have been when I was last in the United States. When you stand in an elevator and you see the person wants to strike up a conversation. ‘Hey, you play tennis?’ It normally happens when I am carrying six tennis racquets.

I missed a flight?

I am always pretty late, but I am careful. It was a long time ago. Probably Munich several years ago. After I had had surgery they changed gates and I couldn’t walk to the gate fast enough. I was on crutches hobbling along. I must have missed it by five minutes!

I had a bad hotel experience?

I’ve always stayed at pretty good hotels. I am not that picky. If there is a good bed I like it. I have never really had a bad experience. Maybe in juniors we went to somewhere in eastern Europe and the hotels weren’t great.

I played on a bad court surface?

It was probably really bad whenever you play on clay courts in Sweden. Apart from Bastad, which has great courts. We only play two or three months outdoors, so the courts do get pretty uneven.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEU...Soderling.aspx
AgnRus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #182
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute

TENNIS & TIMEPIECES – A Watch Connoisseur in Paris

Roland Garros is underway and there is a lot of watch-related news. Aficionado Robin Söderling is looking for another great run in Paris in order to reward himself with a good timepiece.

WORLDTEMPUS - 27 May 2011

Miguel Seabra

During the Australian Open in January, Robin Söderling was asked what people would be most surprised to know about him. The Swede, currently number five in tennis’s world rankings, answered, “Probably that I love watches.”

Robin Soderling with his Graham Chronofighter Oversize Deep Purple © Worldtempus/Robin Soderling

For insiders, this wasn’t a big revelation. The two-time French Open finalist is a true aficionado and always wears interesting timepieces on his wrist. He’s not the only one, but he is a man who likes “different” watches. “If you walk around the tennis tour, everybody seems to have a nice watch – but I don’t really like the obvious ones. In the beginning, maybe yes, but then to have a good brand or a nice model that not many others have is a pretty nice feeling. These are the types of watches you find when reading a lot of watch magazines,” he says before jokingly adding, “Well, half of what I read about watches I don’t even understand, but I still think it’s cool and I try to learn!”

The more Söderling learns about watches, the more careful he is about choosing his next timepiece: “I never go out just to buy a watch, I never decide on the spot – I always like to look at different watches and to think about it. I buy them as a reward. I always think that the next time I win a tournament I’m going to buy that particular watch I’ve been thinking about.”

Time to Kill

His reward doesn’t have to be related to a tournament win, actually. A year ago, after beating Tomas Berdych in the semifinals at Roland Garros, he got the Hublot Big Bang he’d been eyeing. When will he get his next timepiece? Maybe soon. Söderling is back in Paris trying to at least emulate his killer performances of the past two years, where he ended two outstanding Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer records: in 2009, in the fourth round, he beat Nadal and still is the only player to have ever beaten the Spaniard at the French Open. In 2010, he overcame Federer in the quarterfinals, ending the Swiss champion’s incredible run of 23 consecutive semifinals at Grand Slam tournaments.

Federer is a well-known Rolex ambassador, whereas Nadal has caused quite a sensation sporting ultra-expensive Richard Mille timepieces, from the $550,000 RM027 tourbillon he wore last year as his good-luck charm to his new RM035. And Roland Garros is sponsored by Longines. Söderling is still thinking about a possible sponsorship and looking at different brands, but he won’t rush; he never has when it comes to watches.

“Good watches are expensive. When I was young and started to win more matches, I really felt I could buy a good watch and I wanted to have a Rolex – and actually the first really nice watch I bought was a pre-owned steel Daytona chronograph that I saw in a shop in London in 2006. I still like it a lot, but these days it’s my girlfriend Jenni who has been wearing it; it became a bit small for me, but I reckon small and thin watches are back.”

Miguel Seabra of Worldtempus discusses watches with Robin Soderling at the Estoril Open in Portugal, where the Swede tries on an IWC Portugieser Yacht Club © Filipa Cunha Lima/Jornal do Ténis

He didn’t have to buy the second good timepiece of his collection. “I got a gold Bulgari Diagono Professional Diving as a gift from the tournament in Bastad – they were happy I played there for so many years, and I was really happy with the present.” During this very interview, Söderling is wearing an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Volcano, also known as “The Jarno Trulli.”

“I bought it during the U.S. Open in 2009,” he says. That year, in New York, he had been undecided between the Royal Oak Offshore and a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Extreme W-Alarm. Then he opted for the Volcano.

Deep Purple, Hard Rock

There’s a watch in his collection that Soderling particularly appreciates and whose strong looks match his powerful “hard-rock” style of tennis: a Graham Chronofighter Oversize Diver “Deep Purple.” “I had been looking at Graham, because [former Australian Open champion] Thomas Johansson has a friend who owns a watch store in London and they sell Graham – he showed them to me a few years ago.” The “Deep Purple” is a stunning limited edition of 500 pieces of the Chronofighter Oversize Diver in black-and-purple. It perfectly embodies the Swedish star’s taste for niche brands and exquisite, sporty timepieces. “When my girlfriend Jenni and I went on vacation last December, we went diving a lot and I really wanted to test it, so I brought the Graham along.”

At the Estoril Open in Portugal, Söderling took the time to visit a small watch exhibition by tournament sponsors Boutique dos Relógios in the VIP area. There he appreciated some fine timepieces from several top brands – from Richard Mille to IWC. “For a man, a watch truly is the best thing,” he says. “I don’t really like earrings or necklaces or bracelets, so a watch is the best accessory and a way of expression for a man.”

With a rare Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Concept on the cover of Swedish men's fashion magazine King (@ King modemagasinet) © King

And what better way to express himself than wearing a fabulous Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Concept at the photo shoot for the cover of King magazine? “They brought it from a watch store in Stockholm called Nymans Ur; it’s a really nice store where they sell some incredible watches...unfortunately they didn’t let me keep it after the shooting was over.”

Maybe he’ll get it if he finally wins Roland Garros. It won’t be easy; he is on collision course with Nadal, who he is expected to face in a blockbuster quarterfinal. In six appearances at the French Open, the Spaniard has won the title five times – and Söderling was the only one to defeat him on Paris’s slow red clay courts. If and when they face each other, time will surely stand still for all tennis (and watch!) aficionados.

Which one next? The Swedish star is a watch aficionado, but he never rushes his watch buys © Filipa Cunha Lima/Jornal do Ténis

http://www.worldtempus.com/en/news/t...seur-in-paris/
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #183
country flag Jomp1

Jomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond reputeJomp1 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13101090.ab This Interview by fellow Swede Sofia Arvidsson is too good not to be translated for non-Swedish fans. Bare with me for using google translate and making some smaller corrections. Here we go:

PARIS. Robin Soderling, 26, looking uneasily at the girl with the voice recorder.
- No annoying questions now.
It is no ordinary reporter, but tennis buddy Sofia Arvidsson, who sits beside him in the players lounge at Roland Garros.
They got to know each other as eleven-year-olds and have been hanging around ever since.
She, for one, knows the Swedish world number five - and it shows.
Here is the interview Robin Söderling will never forget..

I sit here with Robin Soderling.
- How exciting!
First question: If you could switch lives with a sports personality for one week, who would you choose and why?
- Then I would choose someone who plays in a football or hockey team, who does not need to think about anything, just traveling to matches with a toothbrush. Everything is fixed, so he does not need to care about anything other than the sport.
Has the response you get at the events changed a lot since you became a top 10 player?
- Mmmm. It has.
In what way?
- Everybody is so damn ugly now. Ha, ha, ha. Nah, I'm just kidding. It is the opposite.
They are all sucking up?
- Yes, the tournament directors are sucking up like crazy all the time, especially in the smaller tournaments. And then it is never a problem to book courts, ask for additional "badges" ... Such small things are never a problem, but it was always in the past.
Like for me, you mean? For those of us who are left in the backyard.
- I know nothing about that. Is that so? Ah, you are also up here soon.
Your girlfriend Jenni is very interested in fashion. Do you ask her what to wear?
- Yes - and then I always do the opposite. Ha, ha, ha.
If you have to choose, would you invite Rafael Nadal to dinner or dancing a waltz with Nicolas Almagro?
- Then I would invite Nadal to dinner seven days a week. It's nice that even he can get food for the day. I do not think he can afford to pay for dinner itself.
Then maybe there would be some bullshit...
- What?
Between you two, as well.
- No, we are buddies.
All right. Who among all the players don't you wanna play?
- Hyung-Taik Lee. It's so damn nice that he has retired. Do you remember him, a Korean?
Yes.
- I played him three times and it was totally impossible.
You got to travel a lot with me during juniors. Can you state another reason why you have become so good?
- That I was grumpy and never gave up. I fought all the time, even when it was tough and did not feel good.
Have you ever wanted to do something but thought "No, this I can not do, because I am Robin Soderling"?
- No, I think I do all the things I want to do.
In other words, you behave?
- I didn't say that, but I do what I want anyway. Ha, ha, ha.
Answering the next question, you need to be nice. Which of the male players do you think I would fit well with?
- Well...
Tell me someone good-looking, Robin.
- Who is good looking, then? I think you believe...
No, tell me who you think I fit well with.
- Julien Benneteau.
Benneteau?
- Yes, I have heard that he is in love with you.
I think not.
- He is, isn't he? A little. Haven't you heard?
I must have missed it. What do you do to relax from tennis?
- It depends where I am. At an event, there's not much to do. At home I like to fish.
In a boat, then?
- Yeah, whatever. Then, when we are on vacation, I like to dive. It's really fun. If I am in Sweden I go to like football or hockey, but that is not so often.
I was on your and Jonas Björkman's hotel room in Beijing. Your clothes hung almost in alphabetical order and you wrap your racquet very carefully. Are you Careless with something?
- Yes, I am unfortunately a bit bad with times. I'm an time optimist and everything takes so much longer than I think it'll do.
Once, at Heathrow, you and I went on board the wrong plane...
- It was your fault. It was only your fault.
The question was: Do you still think it is my fault?
- It is clear that it was your fault. You ran away... "Won't the plane fly soon?"
It stated "Boarding Gothenburg" on the table.
- Yes, but it was the wrong flight.
A lady was sitting at your place...
- Yes, I remember. "Move, you're sitting at the wrong place!" It was not very well done, Sofia.
Which is your toughest loss?
- The final in Bastad last year.
If we played mixed, we would probably shoot the balls at each other. Who would it be if you could choose to play with someone else?
- Damn, I'm thinking if I would even consider playing mixed at some point.
Come on. You have promised to play with me in the Olympics.
- Do I have to choose someone else? I just want to play with you.
It could be someone you just think is good-looking.
- I would rather choose someone who I think I would play well with.
Then say who it is!
- Sure, but then it won't be anyone good-looking. All the good ones are looking bad. Wait, I have to think... Who the hell might be good in doubles? I think... Eh, who's that girl grunting so much?
Victoria Azarenka?
- Yes, Azarenka. She is good in doubles, huh?
Yes, she's okay.
- Then I would take her.
What do you think is the very hardest about being a tennis player?
- Traveling is damn hard sometimes. Wait for the airplane, waiting for luggage, transport... It would have been nice to play in the same place all the time.
What are you doing in ten years?
- Playing on the veteran tour.
In Anders Järryd's foot steps...
- Ha, ha, ha. He has been a full time professional for 35 years now. No, I will not play on the veteran tour, but hopefully I'm working with something associated to tennis because I think it is so fun. Not as a coach, but maybe with some event.
What is your biggest dream?
- In tennis, do you mean?
It can be anything...
- To win a Grand Slam.
If you got five million, would you play the first round at Wimbledon in a dress?
- Euro?
No, Swedish kronor. Come on now, so money blind you can not have become. Of course you would.
- No, I would probably not actually.
Five million, Robin!
- No, I would not. Would you?
Absolutely!
- In a dress? Ha, ha, ha. Would you play naked for 50 million, then?
No, I do not think so. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- I'd probably choose something that you felt good eating - or would you eat candy for the rest of your life?
What you think taste good.
- Then I would choose "Flying Jacob". (Swedish dish with chicken and banana )
Mmm, that's yummy. Last question: What, besides winning, makes you really happy?
- When my family and close ones are happy. That makes me happy too. That's more fun than being happy myself, I think.
When we thank Robin Soderling for a nice interview.
- Thanks!

Sofia Arvidsson
Jomp1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #184
country flag sunzhewyq

sunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13101090.ab This Interview by fellow Swede Sofia Arvidsson is too good not to be translated for non-Swedish fans. Bare with me for using google translate and making some smaller corrections. Here we go:
Thanks Joe

ha,ha,ha,what a funny interview....Robin felt so happy and made many jokes
Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #185
country flag swedes_rule

swedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond reputeswedes_rule has a reputation beyond repute

great interview, thanks joe!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #186
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Joe

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #187
country flag AgnRus

Thank you Joe!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #188
country flag solowyn
Banned!

solowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond reputesolowyn has a reputation beyond repute

Super cute.
solowyn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #189
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

great work in this thread. And thanks Joe89. Would have missed that gem if you hadn't done that

As a special before todays BIG match I did a quick translation of the part where a swedish tennis expert and journalist grade the players going into the match. http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13112229.ab
Shows what kind of "homers" we have in the swedish press (but I like it!)

Robin vs. Rafa

Serve - Robin 5, Rafa 4
Söderling got one of the tennis worlds heaviest serves. One of the projectiles in this years tournament was measured to 230kmh. Only John Isner and Ivan Ljubicic has served harder. Nadal has developed his serve during the past year and can start the play with bigger variety.

Groundstrokes - Robin 5, Rafa 5
Söderling's forehand is one of the tours most feared shots, but also his hard flat backhand can create nightmares.
Nadal loves to control the game with his forehand - also strikes hard, and with extreme topspin

Volley Robin 4, Rafa 4
Both players are decent at the net, but on clay it is rare that the show it. Robin and Rafa rather stay at the baseline.

Physique - Robin 4, Rafa 5
Robin is one of the strongest players on the tour but far from the fastest. Nadal got it all, the quickness, endurance, power. Yes the 24-year old from Mallorca is a physical standout.

Current Form - Robin 5, Rafa 3
The swede follows his proven winning concept and raises his level for every round.
The world number 1 however hasn't looked that good and secure. It's not a coincidence that he has been doubting himself.

Confidence - Robin 5, Rafa 3
Djokovic stole the claytitles in Madrid and Rome, which has affected Rafa's confidence. He plays without confidence and needs to be more aggressive to find his true self. Soderling on the other hand plays relaxed and with great confidence

Experience - Robin 3, Rafa 5
Rafa has won 41 out of 42 matches in Roland Garros and is now chasing his sixth RG title.
Court Philippe Chatrier can be seen as his living room and to that Soderling, despite 2 final apperances, has no open invitation.

In Total: Robin Söderling 31 - Rafael Nadal 29

EDIT:
Going to be fun to see how they get out of their Soderling hype now after the loss. Expecting some bad articles tomorrow

Last edited by MaxPower : 06-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #190
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

good post match article from http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13117551.ab

Soderling knocked himself out
of the French Open

Robin at the press conference

PARIS. Sportbladets tennis reporter: He can not blame anyone but himself

How is it to play tennis in a squashhall?
Ask Robin Soderling.

Against a player like Rafael Nadal, the ball always comes back, and then it will be disastrous to miss yourself. Soderling did not look heartbroken when he met the press after the loss in the quarter-final against Nadal, but I wonder what he felt inside. He knew he had a chance against the world number one who was in search of form rather than for his sixth French Open title. He knew it was a final spot in the pot, because the winner gets to meet an injured Scot.

Then something happened that shouldn't happen. Robin Soderling failed to decide the points and was forced into long rallies. "Rafa" ran, ran, ran and held the ball in play. Much more than that Nadal did not need to do to win 6-4, 6-1, 7-6.

Has no B-plan

Soderling put only 57 percent of first serves, and when it clicks he can't find any comfort in his basic game. It was clear yesterday, and since the guy from Vastergotland has no B-plan, it looked like it did.

There they stood and threw the ball over the net - until Soderling became frustrated and lost. At one point the ball crossed the net selvedge 23 times. The Swede has to get faster points, especially against players like Nadal.

Many argue that the Spaniard was brilliant in the quarterfinals, but in my eyes is "Rafa" still a lot to prove. In previous games, he had to be more aggressive - and that's when he has spread the ball both left and right.

I'd be surprised if "Rafa" wins

It was Soderling himself that lost yesterday. Yes, I would say that the Swede played himself out in the French Open. His forehand was not good, his serve poor, his backhand miserable. There was no new final to Robin Soderling, and he can not blame anyone but himself.

Instead, it will be Nadal who learn to take it to the finals, but I'd be surprised if he wins it.

I say congratulations anyway.

"Rafa" turns 25 tomorrow, and the best gift he received was the one he got early yesterday.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #191
country flag ad-out

ad-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond reputead-out has a reputation beyond repute

Joe89 - What a fun interview. Thanks for the translation!
ad-out is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #192
country flag MaxPower

by request: http://www.svd.se/sport/malet-robin-...gt_6257128.svd

The goal: Robin should have fun

Wimbledon. The honeymoon is over. In Wimbledon Robin Söderling and his coach Fredrik Rosengren should feel that their collaboration bears fruit. One of Rosengrens most important tasks is to make the world #5 to enjoy his situation.
At least concering tennis Robin Soderling is not enjoying himself. Instead he pushes himself so hard at times that he breaks down which we saw in the Paris QF vs Rafael Nadal

The spanish world number one, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic enjoys being in the limelight and often raise their game in big matches where they often walk in with a smile and wave to cheering specatators.

Even if Robin Soderling should not be compared to "the bull Ferdinand" (famous cartoon character that is very reluctant to fight, shown on christmas every year in Sweden) that always was dragged into the bullfighting-arena the 26-year old "västgöten" (man from Western Gothia, part of Sweden) is sometimes under so much pressure that he puts on himself that it limits his game. Therefore Rosengren will focus on his adepts mental health and normal common sense to get Robin to understand that he really is one of the world's best players and appreciate it

-When he starts with his childishness and talk about how bad he is I'm talking to him. But I'm not shouting I'm just saying how good he is, says "Fidde".

Both of you have very direct opinions and are a bit hotheaded - has it shown in some way?

-No, we discuss a lot but not much prestige in it. Ten years ago I couldn't back down, I always wanted my will through. Nowadays I don't have to win any wars.

-Everyone says that Robin must be controlled hard but I don't think that is correct at all.

How has your first month been?

-Amazing. Robin is very relaxed and maybe it is that he must get used to feeling good before he can use it more in his tennis.

The serve is one of the keys for "Fidde" to read how his adept is feeling on the court.
-The serve is unbelievably good when he is relaxed. If he is tense then the serve often goes right down in the net and the more he misses the power he puts into it with even worse result.

They have changed a few details in Robin's serve motion and the purpose is to gain more rotation in the body -"then the ball gets more spin""- and to put less pressure on the shoulder with a more smooth end of the motion. A somewhat earlier swing in Robins flat backhand is another detail they have been working on during practices so that Robin, by getting under the boll, can gain more controll.

The other day they practiced on an offensive BH slice Rosengren got very surprised by how Soderling worked with the on grass so effective shot.

- Robin knew it to perfection and I stood with my jaw wide open. Why has he been hiding it all these years? I hope he dares to use it even during match.

Why not already tomorrow versus the on grass very lethal german Philipp Petzschner who himself have one weapon in the backhandslice. Even if grass tennis has become slower the serve and returns are more important than on other surfaces.

- Robin should take risks in the return situations because you will not break playing safe and it is hard to get back into a point.

- If the returns are missing he can block back in one game but the basic plan is to be aggressive, says Frederik Rosengren.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #193
country flag MaxPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
The other day they practiced on an offensive BH slice Rosengren got very surprised by how Soderling worked with the on grass so effective shot.

- Robin knew it to perfection and I stood with my jaw wide open. Why has he been hiding it all these years? I hope he dares to use it even during match.

Why not already tomorrow versus the on grass very lethal german Philipp Petzschner who himself have one weapon in the backhandslice.
Good find btw. This showed today! times x 100. So happy Soderling got an amazing coach now
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #194
country flag AgnRus

Many thanks !!!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #195
country flag sunzhewyq

sunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post

The goal: Robin should have fun

Wimbledon. One of Rosengrens most important tasks is to make the world #5 to enjoy his situation.

-When he starts with his childishness and talk about how bad he is I'm talking to him. But I'm not shouting I'm just saying how good he is, says "Fidde".
if Robin can enjoy himself more,the result will be less important...Com'n Robin,Let us have some fun...