Soderking Interviews, News & Articles Thread - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #151
country flag starluk

starluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond reputestarluk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soderking Interviews, News & Articles Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnRus View Post
He'll play in Abu Dhabi.

http://robinsoderling.se/schedule/
anybody could tell why he doesn't play Monte-Carlo?...Again?
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #152
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute

2010 Best Matches Of The Year

1. Rafael Nadal d. Andy Murray, 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-6(6), Barclays ATP World Tour Finals SF

“Today is the reason why I play tennis,” declared British favourite Andy Murray after a heart-breaking three-set defeat to the competitive titan that is Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

Both players went into the eagerly anticipated match with much to gain should they reach the final. For Murray, it was the chance to end a year of mixed fortunes with the biggest title of his career on home soil. For World No. 1 Nadal, the chance to cap one of the greatest seasons by any player in the Open Era, having already won three Grand Slam championships and completed the clean sweep of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 clay-court tournaments.

For three hours and 11 minutes, raucously supported by the 17,500-strong crowd at The O2, Murray had produced arguably his best tennis of the year in a high-quality match, which featured superb shot-making from both. But despite recovering from a 3-5 deficit in the third set, and leading 4-1 in the ensuing tie-break, the Scot could not close out victory against Nadal, who was utterly determined to reach the title match at the season finale for the first time.

“It was a fantastic match,” said Nadal. “I am very happy to beat a great champion like Andy. For me [it] is an amazing victory. I am very happy for everything because [it] was a really difficult match against one of the best players of the world.”

2. Novak Djokovic d. Roger Federer, 5-7, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, 7-5, US Open SF

He would not go on to win the US Open, but Novak Djokovic certainly left his mark on Flushing Meadows after saving two match points to defeat Roger Federer in a pulsating five-set semi-final clash, thus denying the Swiss a place in his seventh straight US Open final.

Having lost to Federer in each of the three previous years at the US Open, including in the 2007 final, Djokovic explained afterwards, “I just knew I have to be patient and not lose my emotions too much, because that was the case in the past where I was losing the momentum with him. He uses that nervousness of the opponent. He feels it."

Indeed, the Serbian showed nerves of steel when, at 4-5 15/40 in the fifth set, he saved two match points with a swinging forehand volley and a down-the-line forehand winner. He went on to win the final three games, trumping Federer in a 22-shot rally to close out the match after three hours and 44 minutes.

The result came one year on from Federer’s defeat in the 2009 US Open final, in which he had been two points from victory against Juan Martin del Potro. The five-time US Open champion ultimately paid the price for committing 66 unforced errors to Djokovic’s 38 and afterwards expressed the disappointment he shared with many tennis fans, that he would not have the chance to reignite his rivalry with Rafael Nadal in the final. “I would have loved to play against him here. I did my hard yards the last six years making it to the finals, and he was unfortunately never there. And now one point away from this happening, obviously it's a bit of disappointment.”

3. John Isner d. Nicolas Mahut, 6-4, 3-6, 6-7(7), 7-6(3), 70-68, Wimbledon 1st Rd.

It may not have featured exciting rallies or brilliant shot-making, but it was a magnificent display of serving, fitness and perseverance and for the score line alone, the John Isner - Nicolas Mahut Wimbledon classic makes the Top 5 list.

Isner and Mahut managed to eclipse the visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to the All England Club on the first Thursday of The Championships as they concluded their record-breaking, first-round clash on Court 18. The longest tennis match on record lasted 11 hours and five minutes over three days, broke a host of tennis records, and finally ended with Isner hitting a backhand – his 246th winner – down the line to pass Mahut. The fifth set alone had lasted eight hours and 11 minutes – 98 minutes more than the previous longest match on record

“The guy's an absolute warrior,” said Isner of the defeated Mahut. “It stinks someone had to lose. To share this with him was an absolute honour. Maybe we'll meet again somewhere down the road and it won't be 70-68.” Until Isner broke in the 183rd and final game of the match, there had been 168 consecutive service games held between both players; there were only three service breaks in the entire match, totalling 980 points. Both players broke records with the number of aces they hit - 113 for Isner, 103 for Mahut - and 490 winners in total were struck.

Two weeks later, Isner and Mahut won the ESPY Award for Best Record-Breaking Performance, having finished the match just in time to make the ESPY Awards cut, with nominations announced that same day.

4. Robin Soderling d. Michael Llodra, 6-7(0), 7-5, 7-6(6), BNP Paribas Masters SF

Frenchman Michael Llodra had delighted the home support at Paris-Bercy throughout the week, beating Novak Djokovic and Nikolay Davydenko to reach his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 semi-final, and had two-time Roland Garros runner-up Robin Soderling on the ropes before his fairytale run came to an end.

In a throwback to old fashioned tennis, serve and volleyer Llodra had the crowd rocking as he exploited the slick indoor hard court to slice and dice the big-hitting Soderling. After fighting back from a 1-4 deficit in the final set, the 30-year-old Llodra squandered three match points in a gripping 12th game of the third set, and Soderling held on to clinch victory in the decisive tie-break after two hours and 49 minutes of action.

"Today it was a great match. It wasn't maybe pretty, but I'm here as a winner," reflected Soderling, who went on to win his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title with victory over Gael Monfils the following day. "I think tennis is a very mental sport, because everybody can play; everybody is so good. So it's the mental [aspect] that's going to decide a lot of matches."

5. Gael Monfils d. Roger Federer, 7-6(7), 6-7(1), 7-6(4), BNP Paribas Masters SF

Fans at the BNP Paribas Masters on semi-final day surely had the golden ticket as they witnessed two of the best matches of the year, back-to-back. After the crowd had suffered the disappointment of seeing Michael Llodra edged out in the first semi-final, Paris-born Gael Monfils lifted the roof of the Palais Omnisports as he defeated Roger Federer to reach the final for the second year in a row.

Monfils was lifted by the home support to save five match points on serve in the 12th game of the final set, having earlier fought back from a 1-4 deficit. The No. 12 seed then clinched victory in the decisive tie-break after two hours and 41 minutes. It was his first win in six meetings with 16-time Grand Slam champion Federer.

“I'm happy I won against Rog. He's someone I admire a lot. He's a legend of tennis, ‘the’ legend, and beating him is a beautiful victory. I will remember that for my whole life,” declared Monfils. “And also it happened in very special conditions for me, in Paris, so it's only happiness.”

For Federer, it marked the fourth time in 2010 that he had lost a match having held match point opportunities. As well as in the US Open semi-finals against Djokovic, he had squandered three match points in a third-round defeat to Marcos Baghdatis in Indian Wells and two weeks later he had missed a match point chance in a fourth-round loss to Tomas Berdych in Miami.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...-The-Year.aspx
AgnRus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #153
country flag AgnRus

AgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond reputeAgnRus has a reputation beyond repute

Pistolesi Söderling's new coach

Italian coach Claudio Pistolesi, 43, will take over as trainer for Swedish tennis star Robin Söderling, newspaper Svenska Dagbladet reports. [6 december kl 19.02]

It was expected that Söderling would chose a coach outside of Sweden after Magnus Norman resigned and Pistolesi will start in the middle of December when Söderling is in his home in Monte Carlo to prepare of the next season. Pistolesi has previously coached Italians Simone Bolelli and Davide Sanguinetti, Japanese Ai Sygiyama and German Michael Berrer.

Söderling and Pistolesi will evaluate the result at the end of February next year and if both are happy with the result they will sign a contract, according to the newspaper.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #154
country flag misty1
Banned!

misty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond reputemisty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2010 Best Matches Of The Year

1. Rafael Nadal d. Andy Murray, 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-6(6), Barclays ATP World Tour Finals SF

“Today is the reason why I play tennis,” declared British favourite Andy Murray after a heart-breaking three-set defeat to the competitive titan that is Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

Both players went into the eagerly anticipated match with much to gain should they reach the final. For Murray, it was the chance to end a year of mixed fortunes with the biggest title of his career on home soil. For World No. 1 Nadal, the chance to cap one of the greatest seasons by any player in the Open Era, having already won three Grand Slam championships and completed the clean sweep of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 clay-court tournaments.

For three hours and 11 minutes, raucously supported by the 17,500-strong crowd at The O2, Murray had produced arguably his best tennis of the year in a high-quality match, which featured superb shot-making from both. But despite recovering from a 3-5 deficit in the third set, and leading 4-1 in the ensuing tie-break, the Scot could not close out victory against Nadal, who was utterly determined to reach the title match at the season finale for the first time.

“It was a fantastic match,” said Nadal. “I am very happy to beat a great champion like Andy. For me [it] is an amazing victory. I am very happy for everything because [it] was a really difficult match against one of the best players of the world.”

2. Novak Djokovic d. Roger Federer, 5-7, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, 7-5, US Open SF

He would not go on to win the US Open, but Novak Djokovic certainly left his mark on Flushing Meadows after saving two match points to defeat Roger Federer in a pulsating five-set semi-final clash, thus denying the Swiss a place in his seventh straight US Open final.

Having lost to Federer in each of the three previous years at the US Open, including in the 2007 final, Djokovic explained afterwards, “I just knew I have to be patient and not lose my emotions too much, because that was the case in the past where I was losing the momentum with him. He uses that nervousness of the opponent. He feels it."

Indeed, the Serbian showed nerves of steel when, at 4-5 15/40 in the fifth set, he saved two match points with a swinging forehand volley and a down-the-line forehand winner. He went on to win the final three games, trumping Federer in a 22-shot rally to close out the match after three hours and 44 minutes.

The result came one year on from Federer’s defeat in the 2009 US Open final, in which he had been two points from victory against Juan Martin del Potro. The five-time US Open champion ultimately paid the price for committing 66 unforced errors to Djokovic’s 38 and afterwards expressed the disappointment he shared with many tennis fans, that he would not have the chance to reignite his rivalry with Rafael Nadal in the final. “I would have loved to play against him here. I did my hard yards the last six years making it to the finals, and he was unfortunately never there. And now one point away from this happening, obviously it's a bit of disappointment.”

3. John Isner d. Nicolas Mahut, 6-4, 3-6, 6-7(7), 7-6(3), 70-68, Wimbledon 1st Rd.

It may not have featured exciting rallies or brilliant shot-making, but it was a magnificent display of serving, fitness and perseverance and for the score line alone, the John Isner - Nicolas Mahut Wimbledon classic makes the Top 5 list.

Isner and Mahut managed to eclipse the visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to the All England Club on the first Thursday of The Championships as they concluded their record-breaking, first-round clash on Court 18. The longest tennis match on record lasted 11 hours and five minutes over three days, broke a host of tennis records, and finally ended with Isner hitting a backhand – his 246th winner – down the line to pass Mahut. The fifth set alone had lasted eight hours and 11 minutes – 98 minutes more than the previous longest match on record

“The guy's an absolute warrior,” said Isner of the defeated Mahut. “It stinks someone had to lose. To share this with him was an absolute honour. Maybe we'll meet again somewhere down the road and it won't be 70-68.” Until Isner broke in the 183rd and final game of the match, there had been 168 consecutive service games held between both players; there were only three service breaks in the entire match, totalling 980 points. Both players broke records with the number of aces they hit - 113 for Isner, 103 for Mahut - and 490 winners in total were struck.

Two weeks later, Isner and Mahut won the ESPY Award for Best Record-Breaking Performance, having finished the match just in time to make the ESPY Awards cut, with nominations announced that same day.

4. Robin Soderling d. Michael Llodra, 6-7(0), 7-5, 7-6(6), BNP Paribas Masters SF

Frenchman Michael Llodra had delighted the home support at Paris-Bercy throughout the week, beating Novak Djokovic and Nikolay Davydenko to reach his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 semi-final, and had two-time Roland Garros runner-up Robin Soderling on the ropes before his fairytale run came to an end.

In a throwback to old fashioned tennis, serve and volleyer Llodra had the crowd rocking as he exploited the slick indoor hard court to slice and dice the big-hitting Soderling. After fighting back from a 1-4 deficit in the final set, the 30-year-old Llodra squandered three match points in a gripping 12th game of the third set, and Soderling held on to clinch victory in the decisive tie-break after two hours and 49 minutes of action.

"Today it was a great match. It wasn't maybe pretty, but I'm here as a winner," reflected Soderling, who went on to win his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title with victory over Gael Monfils the following day. "I think tennis is a very mental sport, because everybody can play; everybody is so good. So it's the mental [aspect] that's going to decide a lot of matches."

5. Gael Monfils d. Roger Federer, 7-6(7), 6-7(1), 7-6(4), BNP Paribas Masters SF

Fans at the BNP Paribas Masters on semi-final day surely had the golden ticket as they witnessed two of the best matches of the year, back-to-back. After the crowd had suffered the disappointment of seeing Michael Llodra edged out in the first semi-final, Paris-born Gael Monfils lifted the roof of the Palais Omnisports as he defeated Roger Federer to reach the final for the second year in a row.

Monfils was lifted by the home support to save five match points on serve in the 12th game of the final set, having earlier fought back from a 1-4 deficit. The No. 12 seed then clinched victory in the decisive tie-break after two hours and 41 minutes. It was his first win in six meetings with 16-time Grand Slam champion Federer.

“I'm happy I won against Rog. He's someone I admire a lot. He's a legend of tennis, ‘the’ legend, and beating him is a beautiful victory. I will remember that for my whole life,” declared Monfils. “And also it happened in very special conditions for me, in Paris, so it's only happiness.”

For Federer, it marked the fourth time in 2010 that he had lost a match having held match point opportunities. As well as in the US Open semi-finals against Djokovic, he had squandered three match points in a third-round defeat to Marcos Baghdatis in Indian Wells and two weeks later he had missed a match point chance in a fourth-round loss to Tomas Berdych in Miami.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...-The-Year.aspx
really dont agree with that order

wawrinka's matches against murray and querrey...one of them should be there
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #155
country flag Ad Wim

Ad Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond reputeAd Wim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Pistolesi Söderling's new coach

Italian coach Claudio Pistolesi, 43, will take over as trainer for Swedish tennis star Robin Söderling, newspaper Svenska Dagbladet reports. [6 december kl 19.02]

It was expected that Söderling would chose a coach outside of Sweden after Magnus Norman resigned and Pistolesi will start in the middle of December when Söderling is in his home in Monte Carlo to prepare of the next season. Pistolesi has previously coached Italians Simone Bolelli and Davide Sanguinetti, Japanese Ai Sygiyama and German Michael Berrer.

Söderling and Pistolesi will evaluate the result at the end of February next year and if both are happy with the result they will sign a contract, according to the newspaper.
Good news that he found a new coach so fast. Don't really know the guy but if he got Bolelli to number 36 he's got some skills if you look at Bolelli's results this year...

And the good thing is as well that he agreed on some kind of trial period.
Ad Wim is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #156
country flag sunzhewyq

sunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond repute

Pistolesi has also coached the former WTA NO.1 Monica Seles and before this,he had been the sparring partner of Monica.

According to the interview and the comments,he is a mature coach.he made no promise before the co-operation.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #157
country flag Flavio_Sverige

Flavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond reputeFlavio_Sverige has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunzhewyq View Post
Pistolesi has also coached the former WTA NO.1 Monica Seles and before this,he had been the sparring partner of Monica.

According to the interview and the comments,he is a mature coach.he made no promise before the co-operation.
So good luckl for him and for Soderling in 2011!
Flavio_Sverige is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #158
country flag AgnRus

Soderling Back To Work At ATP World Tour Training Camp

World No. 5 Robin Soderling is beginning his 2011 preparations this week at an ATP World Tour training camp in Monte-Carlo after an extended vacation in the Maldives.

"I am actually trying to work on my weaknesses as much as possible, trying to play more aggressive and come to the net a bit more," said Soderling, who is joined at the training camp by fellow pros Ivan Ljubicic, Andreas Seppi, Simone Bolelli, Fabio Fognini, George Bastl, Benjamin Balleret and Jean-Rene Lisnard.

"So far I only practised a couple of days but it’s been really a lot of fun and I am happy to be back on the court again after two weeks vacation."

In addition to two practice sessions a day under the direction of new coach Claudio Pistolesi, Soderling has been working with fitness coach Ali Ghelem off the court, with his workout schedule encompassing dynamic exercises, coordination drills, sprints, interval training, weight lifting and light endurance.

"I work a lot on agility and coordination to be faster on the court and also on injury prevention," said the 26-year-old Swede.

Soderling parted ways with Magnus Norman following the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, and said about working with Pistolesi, "We only work 3-4 days together with Claudio. He used to be a good player, has been around for many years and he’s already taught me many new things so I am really looking forward to working with him."

Despite his busy training regimen, Soderling took time out Wednesday afternoon to attend the Monte-Carlo Country Club kids' Christmas party, posing for photos with Santa and signing autographs for the children.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...ning-Camp.aspx
Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #159
country flag sunzhewyq

sunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond reputesunzhewyq has a reputation beyond repute

it looks like the cooperation with Claudio is very harmony....good luck to him.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #160
country flag AgnRus

Robin Soderling - 18.01.11
Tuesday, 18 January, 2011

Q. A good start?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, of course. Winning in straight sets, it's a very good start. I struggled a little bit in the first set. But I think after that I played better and better. At the end, I played pretty good I think.

Q. Of the Grand Slams, the Australian Open hasn't been kind to you. You haven't got past the second round. Do you think you can do better this year?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I hope so. But I have to take one match at a time.

As you said, I haven't had much success here in the past. That's why, you know, it's even more important to really focus on the next match all the time. Now I got past the first round and I have a difficult match coming up and I have to play well.

If I win this one, I have to take the next match.

Q. Any particular reason why you haven't played well here?

ROBIN SODERLING: Uhm, no. I don't know. It's a surface that I think should suit my game pretty well. I played a couple of good matches. But, as I said, I never had the results.

I don't know why, but hopefully it will change this year.

Q. Is it much different this year under your new coach?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, well, we've been working not for long, but we've been working really good since December. And, of course, in my game there's not going to be any big changes. But we're still working on a lot of details. There's still things I can improve in my game.

I think, you know, already in this couple of weeks I improved. I think I played this year so far really well. Hopefully we can continue to work on it and I'll become a better player.

Q. How do you approach a Grand Slam compared to another tournament knowing it could last for two weeks, have five set matches?

ROBIN SODERLING
: Yeah, I think it's different. I think I had some problems with the Grand Slam tournaments in the beginning of my career. As you said, you know, it's over two weeks, and you always have one match, then you have the next day rest. So it's tough to stay focused for two full weeks. Every day, you know, you have to be able to relax between matches.

I think that's what I learned the last couple of years. I think that's why I had more success in these tournaments.

Q. You deal better with the days off in between?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think so, yeah. Because the days off, it's really a matter of trying to relax and rest, you know, because you spend in five set matches a lot of energy, even if you win in straight sets. You really have to recover between the matches. I do it really good right now.

Q. With your improvement in the last two years, do you bring any different mindset to a tournament like this? Do you come here not fearing anyone?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I'm not fearing anyone, but at the same time I fear all. I know that when I play well, I can beat everyone. But the same time, I really have to play well because last year it really showed. I didn't play well at all and I lost first round.

So I think it's a matter for every player, even the best players, that they really have to stay focused every match. For me that's the most important thing.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...340190176.html
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #161
country flag sunzhewyq

Robin Soderling - 20.01.11

Thursday, 20 January, 2011

Q. What were some of the positives you could take out of the match tonight? ROBIN SODERLING: Well, it was a different match, you know. He played real aggressive and served well. Always against him the margins are very small.
But I think I stayed focused the whole match, was moving pretty well. It was a pretty good match. I didn't spend too much energy. I won in three straight sets.
I'm feeling good.

Q. With five matches to go before a possible final, what is your strategy? Do you have a strategy worked out or do you take it one match at a time?
ROBIN SODERLING: No, of course you have to focus on one match at a time. But now after the matches, it's good that I didn't spend five hours on the court. Instead, you know, I played two matches and both went to three sets, straight set matches.
I played very good, so I'm not feeling tired at all, which is very good now coming into the third round.

Q. This is unchartered territory for you at Melbourne Park. Why have your past campaigns been derailed so quickly?
ROBIN SODERLING: I don't know. I got this question I don't know how many times. I don't know. That's my answer (smiling).
I really feel that I can play well on every surface. So here the conditions and the surface in Melbourne should suit my game very well. And I think, you know, I missed the tournament here a couple of times, and then I played some pretty good matches, but the result hasn't been good.
But hopefully, you know, now I feel like I'm playing really well and I have a lot of experience from doing well in other Grand Slams. So hopefully, you know, this year it will change.

Q. Do you feel like your preparations this year were a little bit more involved? Do you feel this has helped your run into the tournament here?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I think, first of all, I had a great off season. Even though it was short, I've been practicing well and been really focused to do well here in Australia. That's a little bit what's missing so far for me.
Of course, I had a great start. I played really well in Brisbane. I decided to go early to Australia this time instead of going to Chennai or Doha. I played well and had a good week here of practice. I'm feeling really good.

Q. Why did you decide to go to Brisbane?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I tried everything. You know, I did different things every year. But this year I really felt like I wanted to give it a really good chance to do well here and I wanted to come here early and have at least two weeks before the tournament, you know, to give myself time to really find my form and play well.
But I think I played really well from the first day I arrived in Brisbane from the first match and then the whole tournament. So I have a lot of confidence. I really showed that I can play well down here.

Q. Do you know much about your next opponent?
ROBIN SODERLING: I don't think we ever played before. I might be wrong. My memory's not so good. But he's a great player. We practiced a couple times. He's playing really fast and close to the baseline. He's been on the tour for quite some time, so he's very experienced.
It's going to be a tough match.

Q. You obviously overtook Andy Murray's No. 4 ranking coming into this tournament. Is that a mere statistic or does that give you a bit of an edge or a confidence boost?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, of course, it's always nice to be No. 4 in the world. It's something that many players will never achieve in their careers.
But I'm trying to not be too focused on the rankings. I try to be focused on my game, trying to, uhm, practice hard and trying to improve. I think if I can do that, then I think I have a good chance to do really well and climb up the rankings. But it's also a matter of how the other guy's playing. I can still play well, but a few guys playing even better. I have to stay focused on myself first.

Q. How do you feel the surface and conditions here might suit your game or not suit your game?
ROBIN SODERLING: No, as I said, I think I can do well on any kinds of surface: slow, fast, indoors, outdoors. The things with Melbourne, the thing I struggle with a little bit before is that the conditions are changing a lot here. One day it's 30 degrees, the next day it's 20 and windy, sunny, cloudy. So that's tough. But I think it's tough for everybody.
Again, you really need to stay focused and really think about your own game instead of what's happening outside.

Q. What do you invest your prize money, like property or shares?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I try to do a little bit different things. I'm not the one who's doing my finances. I have some properties. I have some stocks, some different things. It's just a matter of saving it for maybe using it after your career.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...520923912.html
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #162
country flag sunzhewyq

Soderling happy to go unnoticed

Thursday, 20 January, 2011
By Alix Ramsay

If you look very carefully at the draw, you might just spot Robin Soderling. There he is, lurking in the top half, placed nicely to face Andy Murray in the quarterfinals and Rafael Nadal in the semifinals. But, for some reason, no one seems to have noticed him.

The world No.4 eased into the third round with a simple 6-3, 7-6, 6-1 win over Gilles Muller and then sat down to assess his progress so far. Not half bad, was his considered opinion: two matches played, not a set dropped and plenty of running still in his legs. This was a grand start to a tournament that has given him trouble in the past.

This is Soderling's sixth visit to Melbourne Park and his two wins this week have served to double his tally of victories at the Open. For a man who can play on any surface - not only is he regarded as one of the best indoor players in the world, he has also reached two French Open finals - he has never quite fathomed the business of playing in Australia.

With this in mind, the Swede decided to try something different this year. Instead of playing his way around the globe on his way to the Open, Soderling arrived in Australia good and early and began his preparations by playing in Brisbane. Clicking into top gear on day one, he ripped through that draw to claim the title without dropping a set. Carrying that form into Melbourne, he is not only looking good, he is feeling rather confident.
"It's good that I didn't spend five hours on the court," Soderling said. "Instead, you know, I played two matches and both went to three sets, straight‑set matches. I played very good, so I'm not feeling tired at all, which is very good now coming into the third round.

"I had a great off‑season. Even though it was short, I've been practicing well and been really focused to do well here in Australia. That's a little bit what's missing so far for me. Of course, I had a great start. I played really well in Brisbane. I decided to go early to Australia this time instead of going to Chennai or Doha. I played well and had a good week here of practice. I'm feeling really good."
That will come as music to Jan Hernych's ears. The Czech took the scenic route around Tomaz Bellucci of Brazil, nicking the win 8-6 in the fifth set, and now faces Soderling on Saturday.

"I don't think we ever played before," Soderling mused. "I might be wrong. My memory's not so good. But he's a great player. We practiced a couple times. He's playing really fast and close to the baseline. He's been on the tour for quite some time, so he's very experienced. It's going to be a tough match."

No doubt the attention will again be focused elsewhere as Soderling tries to make his way into the fourth round. With Nadal taking top billing, the Poms following Andy Murray's every move and Bernard Tomic causing most of Australia to hope against hope that they have a champion in the making on their hands, Soderling tends to get overlooked. And yet now that he convinced himself that he can play in the southern hemisphere, the Swede has the beating of anyone.

"I tried everything," he said. "I did different things every year. But this year I really felt like I wanted to give it a really good chance to do well here and I wanted to come here early and have at least two weeks before the tournament to give myself time to really find my form and play well. But I think I played really well from the first day I arrived in Brisbane from the first match and then the whole tournament. So I have a lot of confidence. I really showed that I can play well down here."

With a huge serve and a thumping forehand, the courts here ought to suit Soderling to a tee; now that he believes he can win here, anything seems possible. And you never know: if he lives up to his seeding and gets to the sharp end of the tournament, someone might even notice that he's here.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #163
country flag AgnRus

Entourage: Pistolesi on Robin Soderling
Saturday, 22 January, 2011
By Georges Homsi

Q : How is your association with Robin going so far ?

CP: Extremely well. Already on the first week of the year we won a title, so I couldn't have hoped for a better start. We have a good communication, and as of now, things couldn't be better.

Q: How is working with him different from the other players you have coached?

CP: Well, he's a champion. He's very motivated, very professional and very committed, and that makes him easy to work with. He really wants to maximise his potential and that is pleasant to see.

Q: On which aspects of his game are you mostly working on at the moment?

CP: Well, I think that the improvement comes from balancing all the different aspects of what makes a champion. So we try not to give too much of a priority of one aspect to the detriment of another. He has a great physical trainer whom he has been working with for seven years, his name is Ali Ghelem and he's from Stockholm. And technically, I don't want to change anything, but rather I want to add new weapons to his arsenal. For example, I want him to feel more comfortable at the net. This will take some time, and we are still early in our cooperation, since we started only five or six weeks ago. But I think that if he can win more points at the net while keeping his incredible efficiency from the baseline, this could bring an extra dimension to his game. And he is very motivated for that, he is mentally very stable.

Q: How would you describe your association?

CP: He's a great person. We have fun being together on the circuit. We have a fun relationship, and so far so good.

Q: Do you spend a lot of time with him off the court?

CP: Of course. The job is all day long, not only the practice sessions. We both love tennis, and we love talking tennis. Sometimes we work with videos, he goes to the gym, and sometimes we analyse his match. We haven't had so much time together yet, so mostly it's preparing the tournament, and working around it.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...486314081.html
Old 01-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #164
country flag sunzhewyq

Robin Soderling 21.01.11
Saturday, 22 January, 2011

Q. Your ninth in a row, yet to drop a set here. How do you assess your performance so far? Are you just cruising along very confident?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I played three matches here, and, of course, as you said, I haven't lost a set yet.
I'm playing pretty good. But there's still a couple of things I need to improve, I think. I know I can play much better. But overall it's been pretty good.

Q. Do you need a four or five set match to test yourself?
ROBIN SODERLING: No. I don't think. I played many matches this year already, so I'm pretty happy I won three matches in straight sets.

Q. Does that weigh in your favor, that you haven't gone outside three sets in that first week?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. I think, you know, physically I feel very good. I haven't spent too many hours on court yet and I'm already in the fourth round, which is very good.
So I think for me it's a little bit of an advantage, yeah.

Q. There's been a lot of attention on Roger and Rafa in the past couple weeks. Do you feel you're sliding under the radar in terms of media attention and that sort of thing?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, yeah, I think there's always going to be a lot of attention on Roger and Rafa, of course. You know, they're No. 1 and 2 in the world. I think in every tournament they play, they will be the favorites.
But I think there's many guys who can actually compete against them and have a chance to win the tournaments like this when they're playing well.

Q. Do you feel like you're ready to compete against those guys in the final of a Grand Slam and perhaps to go that step further?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. I already played two Grand Slam finals and I beat them both in Grand Slams. But, again, of course they will always be the favorites, and we are the guys who need to play really well if we're going to have a chance to beat them.
Every match, you know, I will always have a chance.

Q. Do you ever hear from Borg at all, best wishes? You've play better here than he ever did.
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, sometimes. We meet sometimes, and sometimes he calls me, sends me texts. It's nice.

Q. You may play against Tsonga. You never lost a set against him.
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, we played many times. Even though I haven't lost a set, we had tough matches. He's a great player. I always played very well against him. Hopefully, you know, if I play him now, I will play well again.
But you never know, he's a tough player, and he obviously likes it down there in Australia, being a finalist a couple years ago.

Q. But you play well against him because you like his game?
ROBIN SODERLING: I'm not sure. You know, I always play well, as I said, against him. But he's a tough player. I don't think anybody can say they like his game because he's very good and it's always tough against him.
But I've been lucky to play good against him.

Q. Now you work a little more with your new coach, can you tell us a little bit about the relationship you have?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. You know, so far it worked very well. We haven't lost a match yet together, which is not many players can say that (laughter).
But still it's very fresh. We had a couple of good weeks at the off season. But of course it's very different, you know, working together when you have the time at home, really practicing, than when you're at a tournament.
But we worked on a couple details in my game which I feel I already improved. But hopefully, you know, the time goes on and we have more time to work on it. Hopefully it will keep improving.

Q. What kind of details?
ROBIN SODERLING: I'm trying to play a little bit more aggressive, come to the net a little bit more. Of course, my net game, we worked on a lot, how to move at the net. Also my serve, I'm trying to mix it up a little bit more than before.
And, again, you know, it's working fine so far.

Q. When Europe is freezing and you come to Australia which is very hot, how do you adapt?
ROBIN SODERLING: It's nice to get some tan (laughter).
No, I always like to come down here during the winter when it's cold back home in Europe. But it's not very difficult. You know, we travel a lot. We play on different places all the time.
This year I choose to come here pretty early. I played in Brisbane and I had a week of practice in Melbourne just to get prepared. And I think, you know, it worked well.

Q. Roger and Rafa are the players who play always on the Rod Laver Arena. Sometimes you go other places. What do you prefer, to go on the center court or to play near to the crowd?
ROBIN SODERLING: You know, it's very different. There's always courts you like better and there's courts you don't like as much. But sometimes it can be the center court, sometimes it can be an outside court. It's very different.
But I try not to think about it too much. Just focus on my game. Here all the courts are very similar, so it's not a big difference.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #165
country flag sunzhewyq

Robin Soderling - 24.01.11
Monday, 24 January, 2011

Q. You had your right foot taped at 4 1 in the fourth set. Did that hinder you right throughout the game? What's the extent of the injury?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I had a blister on my toe, but it's nothing serious. You know, of course it hurts a little bit, but it's nothing bad.

Q. It didn't hinder you at all?
ROBIN SODERLING: Maybe for one game. But then I got it retaped and fixed, and then it was fine.

Q. You won the first set. Seemed to struggle in the rest of the sets. What was the story there?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, yeah, I think I struggled throughout the whole match. I won the first set, yeah, but I didn't win it because I played well.
You know, he wasn't on it at the start. Then he started to play much better, which I didn't. Then, you know, he played much better.

Q. What did you think of him as a player? What are some of his qualities?
ROBIN SODERLING: He's a good player. You know, he has a great backhand and he's moving very well. He's a great counter puncher. He has a good chance to do really well, I think.

Q. Did you underestimate him today?
ROBIN SODERLING: No, no, I didn't. I never underestimate anyone. I just didn't feel good. I didn't play good enough. Simple as that.

Q. What was the problem to your foot? I think in the second set I saw something. Also on your serve, there were some first serves 136 kilometers per hour, which is not your usual speed.
ROBIN SODERLING: I had some problems for a couple games with the sun. It was tough to see. I tried to put it in a little bit safer.
But, yes, of course, 130 kilometers per hour in the first serve is not great. It's not something I'm proud of. That's how it is.
I struggled many times in this tournament. And I think, you know, I never had a good first month in my career. But still, you know, I won a title and made it to the fourth round here.
At least it's much better than the past years.

Q. You're not going to fire Pistolesi as your new coach?
ROBIN SODERLING: No, definitely not. He's a great coach. As I said, we had the best start ever, so I'm sure it's going to be good.

Q. Can you tell me what Pistolesi has brought to your game, some new things?
ROBIN SODERLING: I mean, it's still very new. We haven't worked for so long. We actually only worked for two or three weeks when I'm not playing tournaments, which is really the time you can really work on things. During tournaments it's different.
But, you know, he's a great coach. He's got a lot of experience. We worked on a couple of details in my game, which I think is improving.

Q. Like what?
ROBIN SODERLING: Like my net game. You know, I'm trying to come to the net a little bit more. We try to work on how to move at the net, which I still have a lot to learn.
But it's not going to be perfect in a couple of weeks. It will take some time. But I think we're both very confident that I'm going to improve.

Q. Can you put your finger on why the Australian Open has been a bit of a bogey tournament for you?
ROBIN SODERLING: No. I wish.

Q. Is it the weather or heat?
ROBIN SODERLING: No, today was not very hot. The weather's always different. You know, it's never two days in a row where you have the same conditions, which is very tough. But, of course, it's the same for every player.
You know, I thought it was tough for me in Australia. But, you know, I played really well in Brisbane. I played some very good tennis.
But this tournament, you know, I've been struggling a lot this year, too. You know, I fight through three matches, which I'm very proud of, but I never felt that I played really well, which you need to, especially in a Grand Slam.

Q. Rafa talked the other day that he wasn't playing well but managed to pull it out. Do you feel even though you weren't playing well, you should have pulled it out?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I had some chances. As I said, I did it for three matches. I couldn't do it for the fourth one. Yeah, I had some chances. But, you know, my two biggest weapons is my serve and my forehand. They were not weapons today. Then it's tough. I was really fighting.
As you said, I was up a break. Maybe with a little bit of luck, I could have won. But he played better than me.

Q. Did you have a tough time with his slice?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, he's a good player. But mostly I had tough times with myself.

Q. Where are you going next?
ROBIN SODERLING: I will play in Rotterdam next.

Q. Then?
ROBIN SODERLING: Then probably Marseille. So two indoor tournaments in Europe.

Q. If you were to point to the main strength or skill of Dolgopolov, what would you point to? What is the main skill of this guy for you?
ROBIN SODERLING: He's a great player. He has a really good backhand and he's moving well. He's defending very well. He's a great counter puncher.

Q. How much do victories over Nadal and Federer in previous years has built up a great player and you believe in yourself that you're gonna be a top player?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I think all my victories in the past years give me a lot of confidence. I really show to myself that I can do well, I can win a lot of matches, and really compete, yeah, for the Grand Slam tournaments, all the big tournaments.
I think, you know, confidence is maybe the most important thing in this sport.

Q. You're so different, at least you seem so different, to Pistolesi. He is always telling jokes. I don't know if he does it with you. But I know him since he was 18 years old. Do you like the company also or you don't see away from tennis?
ROBIN SODERLING: No, we spend a lot of time together. He's a great guy.
I think you're wrong. I think we're very similar. It's just that I don't tell you guys jokes (smiling).

Q. Well, start.
ROBIN SODERLING: No (smiling).