Jack Sock - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #286
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jack Sock

Quote:
Steve,

Did you see any of Jack Sock’s win over Milos Raonic last night? I missed it, but I’ve thought since last year that Sock was the best American prospect, better than Harrison. And what do you think the deal with Raonic is?—Donald Jett

The day after I write a post about watching live streams of tennis all day, I take a break to watch a Nature documentary on crows and look what happens—Sock goes out and upsets Raonic. (Still, the crow documentary is recommended; I had no idea they were such brainiacs.)

I made a point of watching Sock play last week in San Jose, for the reason you mention. At the U.S. Open last year, with his powerful serve and forehand, he did look like the U.S.’s best young male prospect, a more natural aggressor than Harrison. But in San Jose, I questioned that judgement as I watched Sock find a way to lose in straights to Marinko Matosevic. In the past, Sock had seemed a little like an American Bernard Tomic—performs well on the big national event stage, then fades into the background again. Now, with his win over Raonic, I obviously have to reassess again.

Put Sock’s recent results together with losses these past two weeks by Sloane Stephens, Laura Robson, and Ryan Harrison, and you can see that it’s a long and winding road to the top of pro tennis these days, and it’s hard to tell who is going to make it there from one week to the next. Remember that Harrison, whose results and ranking are sliding right now, recorded his own three-set win over Raonic in Indian Wells two years ago. The top men’s prospects these days, guys like Raonic and Dimitrov, have progressed slowly.

You can judge the speed of a forehand, but it takes time to know if a player “has it upstairs.” And even that judgment can be subject to change—for a time, it appeared that Federer didn’t have it in the mental department. Until he did. With Sock, you have to like the strength but you might wonder about the speed and flexibility, which have become paramount. As you can see from the photo above, he doesn’t have the classic lanky build of a tennis player.

Young players always say that the biggest difference between the juniors and the pros is that the pros don’t take any games off—you can’t have mental lapses against them. As Federer and Tomas Berdych said about Tomic in Australia, what makes a Top 10 player these days is the ability to “bring it every day of the year.” Judging by that criteria, it seems like Raonic is still the most likely to succeed. Federer himself praised how Milos has handled his career thus far, getting the management side handled so he can concentrate on the tennis. Of course, Federer also said that at the same tournament, the Australian Open, where he thrashed Raonic in straight sets.

As for Sock, he brought it last night. Today is a new day, and there a lot of new days ahead.
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.USZe12cnW2V

Hopefully, he will learn how to be more consistent.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube: youtube.com/SapELee485
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #287
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Now I understand why he struggled so much closing out sets against Raonic, dfs and silly errors Just took the first set against James 7-5

Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #288
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

75 64, 2nd atp quarterfinal and a new career high

Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #289
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Who is next

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #290
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^F. Lopez

Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #291
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

http://www.facebook.com/memphistennis/photos_stream
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 539814_10151489447876070_1417653121_n.jpg (46.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 480414_10151490148626070_1403001099_n.jpg (111.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #292
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

http://www.parcbench.com/2013/02/22/...s-james-blake/

Quote:
As the song says, Jack Sock must be “walking with (his) feet ten feet off of Beale.” It seems that the guy who has singlehandedly turned Chipotle into the Wheaties box of the 21st century can do no wrong on the tennis courts in the land of the delta blues.

In the most exciting match so far of the Memphis tournament, Jack Sock defeated his doubles partner, James Blake, 7-5, 6-4 in an engaging match on Thursday night. The two Americans required an exceedingly high level of tennis from each other. The compelling rallies between the two wildcard players occasionally became stunning in the second set. Surprising some, it was the rising star Jack Sock who appeared to have the edge over the experienced veteran James Blake. In terms of audience appeal, the all-American battle was a draw, with both players matching each other’s high level of charisma. In the end, Sock proved to be the more poised and in-control player; breaking Blake enough to claim victory. With the win, 20-year-old Jack Sock has reached the second ATP Tour quarter-final of his career.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #293
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Delray Beach

John Isner [1] - Jesse Levine
Marinko Matosevic - Go Soeda
Yen-Hsun Lu - Qualifier/SE
Kevin Anderson [6] - Qualifier/SE

Kei Nishikori [4] - Ivo Karlovic
Flacio Cipolla - Edouard Roger-Vasselin
Jack Sock [WC] - Qualifier/SE
Feliciano Lopez [7] - Bjorn Phau

Xavier Malisse [8] - Alejandro Falla
Ryan Harrison - Qualifier/SE
James Blake [WC] - Qualifier/SE
Sam Querrey [3] - Michael Russell

Alexandr Dolgopolov [5] - Ivan Dodig
Evgeny Donskoy - Steve Darcis
Denis Istomin - Benjamin Becker
Toomy Haas [2] - Igor Sijsling

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/499/mds.pdf

Jack, please win tonight so you can freed up the wildcard

Old 02-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #294
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lost 64 63, really struggled on serve...only 3 aces and strange to see his serve so low (don't think he hit a 130+ mph serve all match, something is definitely off).

Old 02-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #295
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough lost really thought he would won this match, let do better at Delray Beach, look like we might be seeing Feliciano Lopez again

Tsonga | Raonic | Dimitrov | Nishikori | Janowicz | Tomic | Sock | D.Y. | Harrison Bothers | Thiem | Kyrgios

Peliwo | Khachanov | Ymer Bothers | Kokkinakis | Coppejans | K. Edmund | Coric | Quinzi | Garin
Djere | L. Broady | JWH | Saville | Milojevic | Tatlot | Couacaud | Tiafoe | Mmoh | Kozlov | Rubin | O. Luz
Ace20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #296
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Jack and Blake lost in the doubles final today but they got a wildcard into Delray, let's go Block team

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #297
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The new ranking is released, new career high 130 Has 6 points to defend in Delray Beach and after that no points to defend until July. Good opportunity to make a move towards the top 100.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #298
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Jack will play Matt Ebden tomorrow. Doable, hope his serving arm is okay.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #299
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good win over Matt in straight sets, up next is Berankis. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #300
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
SOCK AND HAAS INTO SECOND ROUND

Young American Sock, German Veteran Highlight Tuesday Afternoon Play
by Steve Dorsey

Andy Roddick has retired, and many are wondering if Jack Sock could be the future face of American tennis. That question was posed to Sock following his first-round straight-sets victory Tuesday afternoon at the ATP World Tour’s Delray Beach ITC.

“I get asked that question a lot and I give the same answer every time,” said the 20-year-old Sock, who advanced to the second round with a 6-3, 6-3 win against Australian Matthew Ebden. “Yeah, I’m a young American coming up, but there’s a bunch of others around my age. We’re all trying to do our best to get American tennis back on the map and back to the top.”

Sock’s stock jumped last week in Memphis after he upset Milos Raonic, who is ranked No. 18 in the world and was the No. 2 seed. Sock, who lost in the singles quarterfinals but made it to the finals in doubles at Memphis, arrived in Delray Beach with a career-best ATP ranking of 130 and was awarded a wild card spot in the ITC main draw. He appears to be taking the attention he’s receiving now in stride despite his youth.
“For me, I don’t really think about it that much,” Sock said of the expectations heaped upon him as a potential rising star on the American tennis scene. “I just kind of go about my business and do my own personal stuff. I mean, we’re all friends and we all push each other, and we all want to see each other do well. I hope all of us can make it to the top. I don’t let it be a distraction. It is what it is.”

Sock, who lost in the qualifying rounds his two previous visits to Delray Beach, next faces Ricardas Berankis, the No. 1 seed in the qualifying draw who lost in the final round of qualifying on Monday but gained entry into the main draw when Feliciano Lopez withdrew from the tournament.

“I did really well last week in Memphis and I felt pretty confident coming into this week,” Sock said. “It was my first singles match win of the year (in Memphis). It was a big help to my confidence. To beat a guy like Milos indoors there where he’s had success kind of makes you think you can beat a lot of guys on any day. I just want to back up a good week.
http://www.yellowtennisball.com/sock...um=socialshare

I hope they will keep pushing each other. I'm glad that he is close with the other guys especially with Johnson and Williams Loved seeing them hang out with each other at challengers last year.