Thoughts on the American Juniors - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #1
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thoughts on the American Juniors

Here are some of my thoughts on the juniors, from what I have seen this year. Saw Mmoh and Fritz the least. Feel free to chime in.

Jared Donaldson
Height: 6-2/6-3
Style: Aggressive baseliner.
Strengths: backhand, no real weaknesses from the baseline.
Things to work on: mental game, net game, serve.

Ernesto Escobedo
Height: 6-2/6-3
Style: Aggressive baseliner, similar to JD but not as versatile.
Strengths: serve, forehand
Things to work on: backhand, mental game, net game.

Stefan Kozlov
Height: 5-10/5-11
Style: Steady all court game.
Strengths: backhand, net game, variety
Things to work on: forehand, serve, more aggression

Francis Tiafoe
Height: 6-1/6-2
Style: Aggressive baseliner
Strengths: forehand, athleticism (defense to offense)
Things to work on: forehand technique, serve, mental game, backhand
Has most question marks going forward (techniques)

Michael Mmoh
Height: 6-1/6-2
Style: Offensive game
Strengths: serve, forehand, athleticism (defense to offense)
Things to work on: forehand, backhand, staying closer to baseline, more aggression (can get into ala Monfils passive mode)

Taylor Fritz
Height: 6-3/6-4
Style: Offensive game
Strengths: serve, forehand
Things to work on: backhand, staying closer to the baseline

Donaldson and Kozlov are the steadiest from the baseline and have the best point constructions (thanks to their advanced backhand). They’re also the best returners.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”

Last edited by SapELee : 11-02-2014 at 04:59 AM.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on the American Juniors

Like I said in Mmoh's thread, after the last couple of matches I think his backhand is better than forehand (seems more penetrative when he flattens it out cleanly). The FH is not as explosive. The serve is probably the best of the 98 group.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
Old 11-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Sap, did you leave Rubin off of this list because he went to college or because you think he's a notch below these guys as a prospect? I think he'll be at least as good as Tim Smyzcek. He has the elite quickness and mental makeup to overcome his size.

I suspect that Opelka will eventually be grouped with these guys as well. He seems like an Isner clone. Results-wise I believe he's ahead of where Isner was at the same age.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHB View Post
Sap, did you leave Rubin off of this list because he went to college or because you think he's a notch below these guys as a prospect? I think he'll be at least as good as Tim Smyzcek. He has the elite quickness and mental makeup to overcome his size.

I suspect that Opelka will eventually be grouped with these guys as well. He seems like an Isner clone. Results-wise I believe he's ahead of where Isner was at the same age.
I originally made the post for twitter and I was trying not to make the image too small so I left him and other players off.

The guys I listed are already a pro or are likely to go pro. I'm surprised Rubin skipped the fall collegiate tournaments to focus on the pro events. Probably not a good impression on his teammates.

I have never seen Opelka play so I left him off. Haven't seen enough of Baughman to give my thoughts. I think Paul and Rybakov will go to college.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My post on 10 American Teenagers to watch in 2015 http://justdroptheball.blogspot.com/...h-in-2015.html